cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide out floor glue

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, my 5th wheel main slide out floor rotted due to bad trim and window leak. It was actually bad when I bought it but am trying to replace floor now. I'm going back with plywood instead of OSB but needed to know what to use to glue my floor back down. It has a 3/16" plywood bottom and 1/4" OSB top floor with 3/4" Styrofoam in between. What I scraped off looked like liquid nails but not for sure. The floor frame is aluminum so it needs to stick to it and also the Styrofoam.

Thanks so much,
Mike

2000 Gulfstream Yellowstone Capri XL
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
19 REPLIES 19

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of rain has slowed down the repair but here is the floor back in. Still have walls and flooring cover to do. I know I'm slow. 🙂

The 2x6 is rotted and needs to be replaced and also gonna beef up this wall especially around where the 50amp power cord comes through the wall. This was loose and is what caused most of the damage in the first place. Also looks like ants or whatever were eating holes in the foam insulation. Not good.

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
Very interesting project.I hope you will finish even better then original.

It has been very interesting and a learning experience for sure. I'm sure it will be better than it was before I began but I don't know about than when it was new. 🙂

Thanks

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting project.I hope you will finish even better then original.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Cement blocks are suseptible to collapse when placed on their side. Very ambitious project. Good work.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
:h

I assume you are referring to southern sugar pine, pine in the PNW is junk wood, we use fir plywood.
I would not see a need to glue the Styrofoam to the plywood. I would also look at "R" of different foam insulating materials.

Definitely agree.
Southern yellow pine plywood delaminates too easy.
Doug fir all the way.
Trouble is some parts of the country it is harder to get.

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

I assume you are referring to southern sugar pine, pine in the PNW is junk wood, we use fir plywood.
I would not see a need to glue the Styrofoam to the plywood. I would also look at "R" of different foam insulating materials.

I agree with the not gluing of Styrofoam. The old was glued but don't see point.

Thanks

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:

To glue back to the aluminum frame I would use Leach's F 26, and to glue the styrofoam to the plywood and the plywood to the Styrofoam I would use Leach's F 13 as it will stick to it and not harm it.

Thank you

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:
You haven't mentioned what kind of plywood you are using. Make sure you use an exterior grade plywood but NOT treated plywood. Treated plywood contains chemicals that will corrode the aluminum frame.

Pine sanded interior and exterior plywood. Not treated. However that is some good info. Thanks

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
You haven't mentioned what kind of plywood you are using. Make sure you use an exterior grade plywood but NOT treated plywood. Treated plywood contains chemicals that will corrode the aluminum frame.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
blantonmr wrote:
Hey guys, my 5th wheel main slide out floor rotted due to bad trim and window leak. It was actually bad when I bought it but am trying to replace floor now. I'm going back with plywood instead of OSB but needed to know what to use to glue my floor back down. It has a 3/16" plywood bottom and 1/4" plywood top floor with 3/4" Styrofoam in between. What I scraped off looked like liquid nails but not for sure. The floor frame is aluminum so it needs to stick to it and also the Styrofoam.

Thanks so much,
Mike

To glue back to the aluminum frame I would use Leach's F 26, and to glue the styrofoam to the plywood and the plywood to the Styrofoam I would use Leach's F 13 as it will stick to it and not harm it.

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
jajefmly@aol.com wrote:
Look into a urethane adhesive which isn't affected by vibration, cold, or heat, or moisture it will adhere the plywood to thr aluminum nicely. Also research what adhesive will not have a reaction with styrofoam.
Good luck!

I did read up on chemicals that affect Styrofoam. Good points!

Thanks

blantonmr
Explorer
Explorer
Memphisdoug wrote:
I'm just curious, are you rebuilding the entire slide or were you able to get the floor structure out without dismantling the rest of the slide? From the looks of this photo you must be rebuilding the whole thing. I would really like to see photos as you progress.

I got the slide floor out and am replacing all the floor wood and foam. Also I'm going to replace the inside wallboard as well due to one spot of leak damage under a window. I also found another soft spot on the main trailer where the power cord comes in and it rotted floor supports etc. I'm afraid that I used the wrong liquid nails on the bottom floor so may have to remove and fix that. 😞

This is all new to me but I think it will work when I'm done. I hope! 🙂