cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slider hitch or regular

teschman
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Silverado 3500HD crew cab 6.6 foot bed. We are also buying a Keystone Laredo 329RE that claims to have Max Turn Technology. The salesman says we don't need a slider a waste of money. But from everything I've read you should always use a slider on a short bed. We were trailer pullers before and this was never an issue. Advice would be appreciated as sales guys are interested in one thing "making the sale"
32 REPLIES 32

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Vulcaneer. Everyone may have clearance when the truck and trailer are level. That 3" clearance between the front of the trailer and back window will soon disappear if you are backing into a site that is slightly up hill. If those trailer tires are 3" above the truck tires then the 3" clearance is gone.

For the little extra money for a manual slider, it's good insurance.

Definitely true.....except for the manual slider. The slider would not be used in this case which is why I went with the 5th Airborne Sidewinder.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Not one person here running without a slider has posted the width of their trailer...

Watcha guys running, standard 96" or 102" wide body??? This will have the biggest affect on clearance and need to run a slider.

96" Excel Winslow 5th wheel
GMC Standard 6 1/2" bed
B&W non-sliding hitch

21 months
20K+ miles
126 uncouplings
ZERO trailer contact to truck cab.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Not one person here running without a slider has posted the width of their trailer...

Watcha guys running, standard 96" or 102" wide body??? This will have the biggest affect on clearance and need to run a slider.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Demco Superglide. The guy I bought the trailer from had a manual slider and dents in both sides of the cab...didn't want that!

It works a wonder and makes backing out of my back yard a one shot affair, rather than a 2 or 3 back and forth.

Tim

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer

as you can see my superglide is all the way back, it travels back around 15 inches. I think if I had a regular hitch (non slider) mounted in the same position it would for sure hit my cab. My pin is about 2 inches fdw of the axle centerline (per superglide spec`s)
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

klogan001
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the 329re and have a 07 gmc duramax with 6.5 bed. I did not go with the slider hitch at salesman recommendation. sure glad i listen to him, after hooking up, there is plenty of clearance. have backed in many tight campsites with no problem.

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
We got a Sidewinder hitch installed when we got our 5er. We really like it, it adds about 14 inches to the hitch and we have never worried about tight corners.

X2

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Reese Sidewinder and think it's great. Truck at 90 degrees from 5ver I have 8" to cab.

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6.6 box as well, and a Keystone with a similar nose. I opted for the manual slider. Normally I don't need the slider and haven't had an issue backing into anywhere even when very tight and without using the slider.

Having said that, I've used it a couple of times as insurance when we used to keep the fiver in a lot where the ground was very uneven. Now that it's home with us, that's not so much an issue anymore. I would say get the manual slider, you probably won't need it 98% of the time, but if you're on uneven ground while backing up, that corner may come very close to your cab and using the slider in those situations will let you back up with more focus on the "backing up" part, rather than worrying about the trailer/cab distance because of the uneven terrain.

On mine, with the slider activated, the pin does not hit the tailgate, I think my fiver is high enough over the bed to avoid that... I think it's probably 8-10" above the bed rails.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Racine96 wrote:
One more thing to keep in mind, the kingpin mount is one thing to keep in mind. My 2014 Silverado 6.6' bed, the slider would not work unless the tailgate is removed. Otherwise, the kingpin mount will hit the tailgate if I use the manual slider. My 2 cents.

Mine in my Ram comes very close, maybe an inch away. Makes me nervous.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing to keep in mind, the kingpin mount is one thing to keep in mind. My 2014 Silverado 6.6' bed, the slider would not work unless the tailgate is removed. Otherwise, the kingpin mount will hit the tailgate if I use the manual slider. My 2 cents.

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
Our new 5r came with the Reese Revolution pin box very much like the sidewinder. It places the pivot point 22" behind the kingpin. There is a wedge that locks the kingpin to the hitch so there is no movement at the hitch. Works great and the 5r seems to respond a bit quicker to maneuvers when backing.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
I had a slider and with the extended pin box my camper has, I couldn't use the slider. If the slider was in the rear position the pin box would hit the tailgate.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
We got a Sidewinder hitch installed when we got our 5er. We really like it, it adds about 14 inches to the hitch and we have never worried about tight corners.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS