cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slight smell where the LP Gas cylinders are located normal?

sgolembiewski09
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel is parked right now. When I close the tank valves there is no smell, but when I open them there is a slight propane smell. It is present all the time and not overwhelming. I read about pressure relief valves... any thoughts on the topic? Do most people with 5th wheels experience a constant "slight-smell"?
23 REPLIES 23

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Not normal, however Propane gas is heavier than air, and is why, I assume that the "floor" of my LP tank compartments are open mesh to let any excess gas escape. I dont know if all enclosed LP compartments are made that way, but I'd almost guess its a requirement for this very reason.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with my new Montana High Country 5er. There was a slight smell, seemed like, all the time. I used so much Dawn and soaped up those 30 pound tanks and hoses and connections looking for leaks, they should stay clean for years now!

I always use one tank at a time, and the other is turned off completely. When one goes empty, I flip over to the other one, and turn the first one completely off. It made no difference which one was on and the other off.

Well,.... after many many fill-ups (because we used the trailer over last winter), I realized one day I didn't smell "it" any more. I did not do anything different, except give everything a super-duper bath. And to this day, there is still no more propane smell. I don't know what happened different. But I'm glad the smell is gone.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
No, not normal. I had to replace both hoses on my brand new fiver. The manufacturer installed hoses that were really too short.
As others have mentioned, check to find the exact source of the leak. If indeed it is the hoses, replaces with longer quality hoses.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
This was one of my draw backs for fifth wheel trailers... My two propane tanks are directly under my front bed overhang haha...

I have the same problem on my POPUP layout... I have two big tanks under the front tent bed setup...

But with a POPUP the tent will not seal you or gas in.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was one of my draw backs for fifth wheel trailers... My two propane tanks are directly under my front bed overhang haha...

I would most definitely inspect for where the leak smell is coming from... Doesn't sound normal to me...

The little things sneak up on you in the middle of the night haha... Then they are not little anymore...

I have the same problem on my POPUP layout... I have two big tanks under the front tent bed setup...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Scooter_Alfa
Explorer
Explorer
No you have a problem.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to turn the tank valves completely open till they are tight to prevent leaking around the valve shaft.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Make sure you get some soapy water on the breather port at the bottom of the regulator. I'll bet the diaphragm is failing. No it is not normal, you should never smell Propane unless you disconnect a line..
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should spray all connections/fittings with soapy solution and look for signs of leaking (bubbles) WITH the cylinder valves OPEN

Spray the valve
Spray the Large Green ACME Nut
Spray the area behind the Nut where hose connects
Spray the LP regulator....crimped body, hose fittings, vent holes (small pin hole pin 1st stage and 1/2" screened vent on 2nd stage)

We would get a slight whiff after having cylinders filled....propane residue from bleeder valve.
Otherwise......NO
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31