2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
45 REPLIES 45

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
powderman426 wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:
ST's are not tested to the same standard as LT particularly with regards to speed. All of the ST's I could find were made in China and they do not have a good reputation.

Maxxis is not made in China.

Tiawan
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellertx5er wrote:
Just noticed you can't say c r a p here.

Try krap. It's an important word and needs to be used daily

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
What a joke that video is. No mention of max speed ratings on the 3400lb ST tire.
I have handled many ST and LT tires and have never found a ST tire that had stiffer sidewalls than LT tires. Did you notice that he never tugged ont he sidewall of the LT, just the ST.
He closes by saying you will get peace of mind running ST's on your trailer. My thought is if you insistent on running ST's on your trailer you will be having pieces of aluminium, rubber and plastic on your mind when the ST tire blows.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a brand new Marathon from a rig we had several years ago. Never curbed, under 65 mph, and properly inflated. The tire had less than 600 miles on it. Stamped...Made in China. GY (dealer) did refund our purchase price for the four tires.

2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed you can't say c r a p here.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
If a tire blows out doing a slow tight turn, no big deal. Going down a road at 65 is a big deal. Give me the LTs.

x2. Interesting that the LTs on my truck have NEVER failed (two sets over 7 years) while I have had no fewer than three Goodyear STs******out in the last two years. Pressure is checked religiously, and trailer stored under cover, no sunlight on the rubber.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a tire blows out doing a slow tight turn, no big deal. Going down a road at 65 is a big deal. Give me the LTs.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
May be plausible, but if you've checked out ST tires and LT tires side-by-side you'll see that the statement "ST's have stiffer sidewalls than LT's" is nonsense.

The addition of sidewall inserts to help prevent scuffing damages may cause the sidewall to feel stiffer. However, the tire's strength is provided by it's carcass and the amount of air pressure allowed by its design. Durability is provided with add-ons, in some form.

FastEagle

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
There's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have run LT tires on the trailer since it was new. It is what it came with and never had a problem. Tires made in the Sun Ting Wong Chinese tire factory aren't my cup of tea. Good tires equal good performance.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Interesting video... Thanks for sharing. Good to know that all those tread separations and blow-outs were just from old tires....kind of like this three year old tire, great tread, just checked the air pressure...and then this....sidewall failure...

Love me some ST tires...after all...if we all ran LT tires we wouldn't have anything to complain about. Lol

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Is that the Goodyear Nylon cap we see? Chris

I don't know. It is a Goodyear ST tire. It was 105 degrees outside when it let go.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
jus2shy wrote:
More "pacifically", I think he is speaking way too generally in regards to vehicle tires. I guess those LT tires on Semi Trucks & Trailers are completely wrong. I keep seeing "LT" on those tires! ๐Ÿ˜›

Semi trucks use "Light Truck" tires?
Come one now!:W

Come one now

What does that mean?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the government was good at propaganda. They got nothing on these dudes.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Interesting video... Thanks for sharing. Good to know that all those tread separations and blow-outs were just from old tires....kind of like this three year old tire, great tread, just checked the air pressure...and then this....sidewall failure...

Love me some ST tires...after all...if we all ran LT tires we wouldn't have anything to complain about. Lol

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Is that the Goodyear Nylon cap we see? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
Why don't the majority of major tire manufactures make ST tires? Goodyear is one of the few. Haven't seem much from Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, BF Goodrich etc. None bother with ST's. Almost all are off brand Chinese manufactures.

I still can't figure out why one of the big companies wouldn't just re-brand one of their good LTs with an up-rated capacity, and call it an ST. :h Could make a run of them for a few weeks a couple times a year.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member