cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stablizing parked F W

tonychipperman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a 32ft FW with front and rear stabilizers plus I use the wheel chocks and tripod but still get a fair bit of movement and was thinking of using two bottle jacks to lift the wheels off the ground. has anyone else tried this, I'm just a bit concerned about putting to much stress on the chassis but I think if the tyres are off the ground it might help.( Anything would be easier than asking the wife to lose a few pounds.)
15 REPLIES 15

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wandering1 wrote:

There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.

And just what exactly are those options?
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
tonychipperman wrote:
Thanks guys but I have both of those already and still get to much movement and as we tend to stay put for at least a month at a time I thought the jacks would work...Merry Christmas.

Yep- as mentioned:
1) SteadyFast or JT's StrongArms or equivalent triangulation stabilizers at the jacks.
2) Between the wheel chocks.
3) Mount scissor jacks (or, as I saw someone had- reinforced electric jacks) just in front of the tires. You're not lifting the camper off of the suspension, just snugging it up somewhat.

I've done #1 and #2 - for #3, I tried to go cheap and bought the Valterra Stabilizer Stand and haven't felt it did what it needed to.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
RotoChoks are the best.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2-MTnesters wrote:
These.. between the wheels on each side. Tim
I was asking the OP.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tonychipperman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll give it a go and see how it goes..

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Don’t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, don’t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesn’t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and don’t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldn’t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.
Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.
There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
HR

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bottle jacks in front or rear of tires.
Set them on blocks and jack them up against frame....stops the bounce movement caused by rubber tires and leaf springs suspension
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If you stay put for a long period of time, check the jacks, stabilizers, chocks, kingpin tripod, etc.

As your trailer sits, it 'settles' for lack of a better word, or the surface that your pads rest upon settles. The firm jacks and stabilizers work at bit. I've found I need to adjust about every four or five days - especially if I am not parked on level concrete.

I'm assuming you are using some type of between the tires chock - others don't do anything to minimize movement.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
What kind of wheel chocks?

These in front and behind the tires and These between the wheels on each side. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of wheel chocks?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
No need to raise the wheels off the ground. On our Montana I have the SteadyFast stabilizers and the X-chocks. I also have a set of scissors jacks mounted just in front of the wheels. After dropping the rear stabilizers I use the front landing gear to snug the rear jacks, then I lower the scissors jacks by the wheels till they're snug. Camper is VERY sturdy with very minimal movement. If staying in same place for an extended period you might have to snug up all jacks after a couple of days. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

tonychipperman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys but I have both of those already and still get to much movement and as we tend to stay put for at least a month at a time I thought the jacks would work...Merry Christmas.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
The struts pictured in the previous post are JT Strongarms. IMHO these are the best thing you can purchase for stabilizing a trailer.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website