cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage space vs phoney fireplace.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
We want to remove the fireplace from our 2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar. This rig has precious little storage. We won't get much use out of this "fireplace" and that cavern behind it would make a great cabinet!
Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' TT
2020 Silverado 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift bags.
38 REPLIES 38

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about putting hinges on one side of the Fire Place and a latch on the other, build your storage behind it in the current dead space and have the best of both worlds.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jpmyers wrote:
We want to remove the fireplace from our 2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar. This rig has precious little storage. We won't get much use out of this "fireplace" and that cavern behind it would make a great cabinet!

Since most campsites we go to include unlimited electricity we use the fireplace to heat the camper instead of expensive propane. I would reconsider leaving the fireplace for that reason and carry less stuff with you
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The big problem with a fireplace is is it does not heat any better or any more than the 1500 Watt ceramic heater. With the ceramic heater I can move it from one end of the trailer to the other.

For reference, 1500 Watts is 5100 BTUH and that is all you will get from a 15 amp plug on 120 Volts.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
We had to with Fire places, current one without. We miss the fire place. Storage? Looked all the stuff We had and to about half off it out. Iโ€™ve got A lot of empty cabinets.

Kind of the point I was making, all the unnecessary junk we haul. I wouldn't give up my fireplace to haul more STUFF . We use our fireplace a lot, it puts out more heat then some of those space heaters, has a blower on it. Then you are faced with a space to put the space heater ,mostly like in the space where the fireplace was ๐Ÿ™‚

Come to think about that space IS where our two heaters are stored. ๐Ÿ™‚

It only makes sense. :B For us there is just no way I'm pulling that fireplace for anything. We spend a good portion of the summer in Montana. The temperature this morning was 40 degrees as it is many mornings here. On goes the fireplace nearly every morning. It rained all day yesterday ,and was chilly all day, all was needed was the fireplace.

Our fireplace is far from phoney as far as heat, its actually quite an electric heater with blower .

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since we're retired and travel for many summer months we carry a lot for convience and comfort. We don't have to have a BBQ and Smoker but enjoy both and no doubt other stuff that we could shed.

Now my garage definitely has unnecessary junk but I never know the needs of my next project...:B

And we did shed the useless CareLess awning in the wind last summer!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
We had to with Fire places, current one without. We miss the fire place. Storage? Looked all the stuff We had and to about half off it out. Iโ€™ve got A lot of empty cabinets.

Kind of the point I was making, all the unnecessary junk we haul. I wouldn't give up my fireplace to haul more STUFF . We use our fireplace a lot, it puts out more heat then some of those space heaters, has a blower on it. Then you are faced with a space to put the space heater ,mostly like in the space where the fireplace was ๐Ÿ™‚

Come to think about that space IS where our two heaters are stored. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Alliance has a pull out FP w/ storage behind it. We have 2 FP's and love them for same reasons already stated.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I guess Iโ€™ve been too critical about the electric fireplace. When we camp at times heat is needed, there are no โ€œcurrent bushesโ€ nearby. Plus, we need to heat the basement and tanks.....the electric heater just wouldnโ€™t cut it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ But, they do look nice! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
When we first bought our first trailer with the fake electric fireplace we thought it was a little silly until we used it a few times. It does a great time of maintaining a comfortable temp in the trailer, is QUIET and adjustable to only come on when necessary. We don't think is so silly anymore.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first Alpenlite had a FP. It worked, looked nice but basically was a gimmick waste of good storage space.

Our second Alpenlite 34RLR does not have the FP. It does have a heater below where the FP would be. That cabinet stores the toaster oven, a 12 cup coffee maker & a 5 cup coffee maker. If I put a shelf in above those items there would be more room.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
WHen I installed our fireplace, I mounted it on a hinge and use it as the door to the cabinet
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jpmyers wrote:
Bob, where did you come by the map in your signature?
I'm not sure who Bob is but, you're probably talking about a States Visited Map.
Here is one option, epgsoft.com

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it. My neighbor who is very handy with woodworking made me a cabinet door to match my existing...added a door under the back side of our kitchen sink where the optional outdoor kitchen would have been. Pretty big unused space under there. Sorry no pic...when I tried to upload from my phone it was sideways. LoL

We do like our fireplace too and surprising how much heat it puts out. Tiny space behind ours and thatโ€™s where the water pump lives so not a good storage option.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold