cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superglide capture plate theft concerns?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
My old fiver had the universal capture plate which was connected to the king pin with a dozen or so nuts and bolts. It would have taken quite a while for a thief/vandal to get that one off. However, my new-to-me Arctic Fox has the new style plate which is held on with just 4 allen set screws/bolts. It takes only a minute or so to get it off. I'm not as concerned about the cost to replace as I am the inconvenience of being stuck somewhere waiting for a replacement. It seems to me a simple pin lock from Amazon would prevent removal. Am I just being paranoid or have others had the same concerns?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
26 REPLIES 26

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
what type of hitch locks do you use.
mine is parked out front, and have had a few stop by and ask if it is for sale. they took a long time looking at the hitch. I think a lock would be good

sorry been out of town
I bought this one
http://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-63251-Fifth-Wheel/dp/B006VN38M2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1465260409&sr=8-3&keywords=5th+wheel+hitch+pin+lock
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
Having a Superglide, if I was that concerned about someone stealing the plate I would just buy a second to keep in the rig and not go to,the extent of securing it.

Not everybody has $120.00 to throw around!

I didn't modify mine for fear of theft.

I didn't like the mounting options Pullrite offered in 2003.

It was done to be able to quickly change if I needed someone without a Super Glide to tow my 5er.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
blue trawler wrote:
I almost found out the hard way that I had a capture plate. I just bought a new F 350 and for 5 years I had the super glide, NOBODY told me anything about the capture plate. When someone did tell me I went and looked. It was WELDED all the way around and I had to order a new pin box. I was shown a truck at camping world that hooked up his 5 er to his new truck and he didn't know he had a capture plate either. It tore the head of his hitch and ripped the bed up pretty badly! So, I'm glad someone told me before I hitched it up!

Regards,
Bruce

When I bought my hitch many years ago, the only 2 methods used to attach the capture plate to the pinbox were welding or a system of about 12-16 bolts and nuts (spread around the surface of the capture plate). I chose the latter method. Now, besides those mentioned, Pullrite sells quick mounting capture plates that are engineered to fit the majority of manufacturers' pin boxes. In my case, 4 allen head bolts secure the capture plate to the pinbox. It can be quickly removed in case the trailer needs to be towed with a conventional hitch.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
I almost found out the hard way that I had a capture plate. I just bought a new F 350 and for 5 years I had the super glide, NOBODY told me anything about the capture plate. When someone did tell me I went and looked. It was WELDED all the way around and I had to order a new pin box. I was shown a truck at camping world that hooked up his 5 er to his new truck and he didn't know he had a capture plate either. It tore the head of his hitch and ripped the bed up pretty badly! So, I'm glad someone told me before I hitched it up!

Regards,
Bruce

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
mine is parked out front, and have had a few stop by and ask if it is for sale. they took a long time looking at the hitch. I think a lock would be good
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
My old fiver had the universal capture plate which was connected to the king pin with a dozen or so nuts and bolts. It would have taken quite a while for a thief/vandal to get that one off. However, my new-to-me Arctic Fox has the new style plate which is held on with just 4 allen set screws/bolts. It takes only a minute or so to get it off. I'm not as concerned about the cost to replace as I am the inconvenience of being stuck somewhere waiting for a replacement. It seems to me a simple pin lock from Amazon would prevent removal. Am I just being paranoid or have others had the same concerns?

The short answer is paranoid. I can't imagine a market for stolen capture plates. I'm pretty sure when the hitch is bought so is the capture plate. Yes I have to believe there is a bit of paranoia on your part

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Having a Superglide, if I was that concerned about someone stealing the plate I would just buy a second to keep in the rig and not go to,the extent of securing it.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Calkidd
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Barb Bogue wrote:
Why not put a couple 1 inch welds on it cheep permeant fix...
Then that trailer is stuck with the need of a Superglide to tow it.

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
Why not put a couple 1 inch welds on it cheep permeant fix...

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Calkidd wrote:
CB would you mind showing a little more details to your mod? I have a capture plate that I have been wanting to remove easily. Right now I have two pieces of angle iron welded to the sides, basically wedging the capture plate to the pin box.

These are the only pics I have. As shown in first pic the center tube is weldedto the pin box. the outer two are welded to the capture plate.

Once you get that done, pin the capture plate on the pin box, vise grip the back of the capture plate to the pin box.

Now drill 3/8" holes inside of wedge thru capture plate and pin box.

Remove capture plate. Put two 3/8" bolts in pin box with nuts on the top side. Weld the nuts in place.

Reinstall and go camping.:B

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couldn't give my last one away. If they have the hitch, they have the capture plate..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
If you are worried about someone spending a minute to take it, you can always spend a minute to remove it and lock it in a compartment.

Personally I don't think anybody has ever noticed that I had one on my pin box. And very few people would even know what it was if they did notice it.

Lock it a compartment that uses a 751 key to open? It would take longer to unbolt it!

Chris :B:b
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't believe there is a big market for stolen capture plates!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"