cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Superglide capture plate theft concerns?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
My old fiver had the universal capture plate which was connected to the king pin with a dozen or so nuts and bolts. It would have taken quite a while for a thief/vandal to get that one off. However, my new-to-me Arctic Fox has the new style plate which is held on with just 4 allen set screws/bolts. It takes only a minute or so to get it off. I'm not as concerned about the cost to replace as I am the inconvenience of being stuck somewhere waiting for a replacement. It seems to me a simple pin lock from Amazon would prevent removal. Am I just being paranoid or have others had the same concerns?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
26 REPLIES 26

Calkidd
Explorer
Explorer
CB would you mind showing a little more details to your mod? I have a capture plate that I have been wanting to remove easily. Right now I have two pieces of angle iron welded to the sides, basically wedging the capture plate to the pin box.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of the above, too. I cured my worry by buying a Demco AutoSlide that does not require a capture plate.

Well, to be honest, the real reason I bought it was so I could tow anything without a capture plate and still have a great slider.

Tim

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all the above. These kinds of thefts are more likely to occur in storage than in campgrounds. I store mine beside my house so no issue there. Still, a $20 pin lock might go on my Xmas list.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
To me the risk wouldn't be worth worry.

Most thefts are by thieves that want to sell items for resale not because they want it. The average thief would not even know it's there.

Going to be concerned about theft, might worry about your storage compartment doors, most all keys are universal, or even your propane tanks, they aren't locked up.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Howe many will bye a super glide hitch and not the capture plat, and why will any body else want it.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I ALWAYS have the hitch pin lock when not hooked to the truck!
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
Might this put your mind at ease?

Capture Plate Mod.

Yes, it would. Nice job.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
If you are worried about someone spending a minute to take it, you can always spend a minute to remove it and lock it in a compartment.

True. But a bit more effort than slipping a lock over the pin and twisting a key - which also would make it more difficult to steal the entire trailer (also not a big concern to me - but this would be a bonus).

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
My old fiver had the universal capture plate which was connected to the king pin with a dozen or so nuts and bolts. It would have taken quite a while for a thief/vandal to get that one off. However, my new-to-me Arctic Fox has the new style plate which is held on with just 4 allen set screws/bolts. It takes only a minute or so to get it off. I'm not as concerned about the cost to replace as I am the inconvenience of being stuck somewhere waiting for a replacement. It seems to me a simple pin lock from Amazon would prevent removal. Am I just being paranoid or have others had the same concerns?

Might this put your mind at ease?

Capture Plate Mod.

Two bolts from under side (not visible from top)

Pin on front that has to be tapped in or out.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If you are worried about someone spending a minute to take it, you can always spend a minute to remove it and lock it in a compartment.

Personally I don't think anybody has ever noticed that I had one on my pin box. And very few people would even know what it was if they did notice it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

TNrob
Explorer
Explorer
I use a locking hitch pin for my wd hitch when I hang it from our tt bumper receiver.

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same set up and have been thinking also that I should get a locking device also. As you stated it is just the thought that we may get stranded somewhere while attempting to get a replacement part. So I do not think you are over cautious, just planned for any eventuality that make interrupt your trip.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk