cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of a new toy hauler

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 2007 Weekend Warrior FTL4005 and we were throwing around the idea of going just a bit smaller. I have done several mods and repairs to this trailer, so I am a bit hesitant to let it go

After 9 years of owning this trailer, can anyone tell me who makes a trailer that doesn't use the absolute cheapest materials on planet earth to build with. Also, the DW insists that the garage be separate from the living area. I insist that it not have a sliding glass door to the garage. Any suggestions?
'17 F450 CCLB Platinum dually
23 REPLIES 23

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Carbon 27 is a TT, their 2 digit models are TT's, 3 digits are 5th wheels.

Your SWR should be fine for the 357. Our DWR is completely overkill for what we have now, and more than enough truck for just about any 5th wheel we will get in the future. We're actually looking at something pretty similar to the 357, we've been eyeing the Impact 351, as we want a 12-13' garage. We're just stuck with what we have for now because of the loan we have on the Raptor.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear. I'll be towing with an F-350 as well, but just swr.

Not quite sure what a Carbon 27 is. From what we looked at, they have a 3 digit designation. For example, the one we liked was a Carbon 357.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a Keystone Raptor 27FS, which I believe was only made for the 2014 model year before they rebranded it as a Carbon. Ours is the exact same floor plan and appearance as the Carbon 27.

Our camper is fine. We do have a lingering electrical issue that we think might be causing some drain on the batteries, but that could also be from when our home builder did our 30AMP exterior outlets as 220V and we blew all kinds of stuff on the camper the first time we plugged it in (thankfully covered under warranty).

It's not super high quality, but it's no worse than any others in the same range. It also pulls pretty well once we got a truck capable enough. Our original TV was a 2014 F150 Ecoboost and it wasn't big enough to do the trick. F250 was better, and we now pull with a 2015 F350 dually. We live in CO and just got back from a trip along I-70 through the mountains (Denver to Grand Junction) and it did fine.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
Got roped into looking at trailers today. Found a Keystone Carbon that looks pretty good. I'm still not impressed with general RV construction, thin weak materials, but what options are there?
Anyway, anyone have experience with one of these?

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
My opinion? NONE of them are really well built. Keep what you have. You will be ahead in the long run.

X2
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
eundercoffler wrote:
All aluminum construction means no wood to rot. I figure all trailers will leak at some point. At least with these guys you don't have to worry about the associated damage the leak will do.

Livin Lite also made an all aluminum 5th wheel toy hauler for 1 year (2014 I think) but they are very hard to find. If you would consider a TT style than Livin Lite makes lots of tow behind all aluminums.

Dont waste your money on a wooden TH.

My featherlite has wood floors, but Iv never had a leak make it that far.

Sometimes I wish mine had aluminum floors, until I step bare foot on them.

Occasionally, a feather-lite SURV toy-hauler comes up on Ebay.
12 valve ram

eundercoffler
Explorer
Explorer
You could try VRV. They will build to suit your needs and all aluminum construction means no wood to rot. They may not be the prettiest rigs inside but I figure all trailers will leak at some point. At least with these guys you don't have to worry about the associated damage the leak will do.

Livin Lite also made an all aluminum 5th wheel toy hauler for 1 year (2014 I think) but they are very hard to find. If you would consider a TT style than Livin Lite makes lots of tow behind all aluminums.

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
You've got that right. Water will destroy these things in short order. I just thought the water intrusion would be from the top down instead of from the bottom up. My rot was caused by the wheel wells not being sealed up.

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Wizbangdoodle wrote:

After dealing with my current WW problems, I'm a little gun shy to try them again. I've had to replace the entire lower right side because of rot. I've had serious wiring/brake issues. And I have a soft spot in the ramp door right now that needs attention. After seeing the material that went into the original construction, I have a hard time believing the owner of WW is now using top notch material. Why wasn't he using good stuff before?

I'm not sure that you can buy your way to better foundations. Most manufacturers use the same rear deck manufacturer, Lippert axles/frames, door manufacturer, etc.... You can get plywood vs OSB roof decks, differences in siding and insulation. Largely roof construction is (mostly) the same.

I think there are big differences in customer support - but that's only good for the warranty period, largely... Other than the parts function.

You've got to stay on top of these things. Any little water leak and potentially destroy an RV. And short of an Airstream, I don't know any design that holds water without some significant inspection / maintenance.

If you've got yours sorted, it's the devil you know... Versus a big wallet drain and a new set of potential issues.

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
Leaning that way mpierce.

Watched several Youtube videos on the construction of a 5th wheel. Most were the same constriuction wise, but what I noticed the most is that every single person was in a big **** hurry. So much so, that if they made a mistake, they'd never know it. Nailing studs and screwing things down needs to be down with a little care. Doesn't anyone take pride in their work any longer?

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion? NONE of them are really well built. Keep what you have. You will be ahead in the long run.

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to hear. That makes a big difference.

I knew about Mark and the troubles he ran into, huge demand followed by kicking out as many units as possible followed by a sharp downturn in the market. The timing sucked. I wish I could see the skeleton of one of these units. Or maybe a time lapse video of a build. Hmmm, I think I'll check youtube.

Y-Guy
Wizbangdoodle wrote:

After dealing with my current WW problems...

I have a hard time believing the owner of WW is now using top notch material. Why wasn't he using good stuff before?

FYI the current "owner" of the name Weekend Warrior, The RV Factory, has nothing whatsoever to do with Mark Warmoth who was the founder and original builder of Weekend Warrior. Mark now own Extreme Warrior.

I will say that I think Mark got in over his head and the recession took it's toll. He was one of, if not, the major inovator of the Toy Hauler niche and I give him credit. Those WW units that didn't have major issues are still pretty amazing rigs.

As far as shopping, if it's paid off and getting the job done I'd be more inclined to hang on to it and use the daylights out of it. Just my .02ยข

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

Most use the cheapest parts possible and spit them out the door at an alarming rate. You might look at the new Weekend Warrior as they take time building them with no quota, I'm sure most of the parts they use are common through out the industry but it appeared to me they took some pride in their assembly process producing a better quality RV. I've been through their factory 4-5 times and was impressed with the cleanliness of their facility. They have 3-4 5th wheel hauler floor plans. DRV is another one I liked but they are pretty pricy and not smaller than what you have.

After dealing with my current WW problems, I'm a little gun shy to try them again. I've had to replace the entire lower right side because of rot. I've had serious wiring/brake issues. And I have a soft spot in the ramp door right now that needs attention. After seeing the material that went into the original construction, I have a hard time believing the owner of WW is now using top notch material. Why wasn't he using good stuff before?

Don't mind me, I'm just ranting. ๐Ÿ™‚