Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Forest River Sierra Fifth Wheel

Captgreg87
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

My name is Greg and I am pretty new to this site, actually this is my first post. I have been a huge RV guy for some years now. However, I am looking into purchasing a new fifth wheel before this spring. I am really looking for a large fifth wheel at a somewhat reasonable price.

I have checked out the Crusader line in person and was happy with the quality, but I have really liked a model 366FL Sierra from Forest River. I thought the layout was fantastic and I plan on looking at one in Michigan here next week, but after doing a little homework I have found many negative reviews on Forest River and just wanted to get some true insight on the quality of these campers. I noticed they have many brands under their name, but was curious on the Sierra model in particular.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions on a nice 33 to 39 ft Fifth wheel possibly with the Front Living room layout. It doesn't have to be the most top of the line manufacture, but looking for something that will last. We will just be keeping this camper on a permeant site and not moving it very often at all.

Thanks again guys and I am really looking forward to everyone's insight!
11 REPLIES 11

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had our FR Wildcat now for four weeks. So far, a cabinet door has fallen off, the shower valve failed, the furnace quit and the electric plug for the hotwater heater fell out. Now in all fairness, I only hold FR responsible for the cabinet door and the electric plug. The door is self-explanatory, but the plug wouldn't have fallen out had it not been plugged in vertically where it could fall out from road vibration. The Suburban furnace had two internal issues and the shower valve was just cheap, IMHO.

I do not consider the Wildcat to be a top of the line RV, but from reading other poster's complaints about their own RVs, regardless of price point, it still seems as though the RV industry just pushes out units as fast and cheaply as they can. I told my wife to expect problems with a new unit, but I consider us fortunate there are not more issues with this one.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Captgreg87 wrote:
Has anyone had good luck with the Crusader unit's? I know the are pretty new, but all the reviews I have have been positive. Looking particularly at the 325RES model, really like the big bay windows.

I have the Crusader 330MKS< Zero issues after 30 months except the bottom of the slide material. As said, to to the Forest River forum and Prime Time Crusader specifically. Look for a post by Platokidd and titled "Slide out /Underside wearing"
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

KY_JOE
Explorer
Explorer
I would run away from anything Forest River, after owning a Prime-Time Lacrosse and a Sandpiper fith wheel they both had major issues were attorneys were involved and structure issues were found, Forest River ended up replacing our Sandpiper with a Grand Design Reflection That is the best outcome we could have asked for.. Thanks Forest River. If you cant make a reliable fifth wheel then give a competitors fifth wheel to settle a law suite.
THE GREENWELL'S
JOE , MELISSA , EMILY
MAYSVILLE, KENTUCKY

2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2014 RAM 3500 DUALLY CREW, 4X4 CUMMINS

ROUGHING IT THE EASIEST WAY WE KNOW HOW!

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Go to http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/
Ask away.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

Captgreg87
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses guys,

This really gives me a good insight on this unit. I have to agree though with all my background search I seem to be seeing half and half good and bad reviews, almost seems like you get lucky one way or another. What I think I am going to do is go take at the unit as originally planned and check with the dealer on their standing of servicing the product. They are a pretty big dealer with multiple locations in Western Michigan and have been great so far, so hopefully this won't be any issue with service needs.

However, I don't mind little fixes here and there (could happen with anything), but leaking of the roof or the construction of the overall until shouldn't be overlooked and that really scares me.

Has anyone had good luck with the Crusader unit's? I know the are pretty new, but all the reviews I have have been positive. Looking particularly at the 325RES model, really like the big bay windows.

Is there any other place as well I can compare or get some opinions on the price of what they are offering me for the Sierra 366FL?

HalmFamily, I really appreciate the offer and I will be sure to send over a PM with a few questions!

Looking forward to any additional help as well!

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
I owned 2 Forest River Products. The first was a Cherokee TT. The next was a Sierra 5er. Lets just say I will never own any thing made by Forest River again. Outside of a dealer with no male parts and a factory who would not do anything about a leaking roof while under warranty. Dealer must not have been very good as he is out of business. there have been some folks that have praised Forest River and some that have hated them. I guess you will have to make your own decision on this. What ever you decide, Good Luck.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You ought to post this over on the Forest River Owners Group (FROG) Forum and see what kind of response you get. I am sure there are some that own that same model/brand.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the columbus line from palomino yes it is a forest river division but it seems to be higher grade spent a good deal of time over 2 days looking at it at the tampa show this week

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We had the 366FL for two years and traded it in on a 360PDEK in November. My wife loved the 366FL but it really didn't fit what we needed and didn't feel like home. We love our new 360PDEK and feels like home, actually been using it as my man cave.

The only issues the 366FL gave was a bad hydraulic valve on the kitchen slide, two bad kitchen faucets, dealer replaced one leg of the landing gear due to a leak and the hallway floor had to be raised up. This was all in the first two months. After those repairs were made we had zero issues with it.

The major dislikes for us were lack of basement storage, non ducted A/C in bedroom and have to sit sideways to watch TV. Loved the rear exterior door to the bedroom and the overall room. FR has quit making this model and has a new front living out that is so much nicer.

Overall, extremely satisfied with our Forest River products. Our new one has had zero issues so far and will buy another when the time comes. Make sure you do a thorough PDI and hopefully you'll not have any issue. PM me if you have any questions on the 366FL.

Good luck
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
we had a 2002 Sierra from Forest River and it was not a good trailer had hardly any insulation in and the side well a the back of the trailer came out from under the corner molding because it was cut to short and forest river told us to bad so sad as they would not fix it hope this help in you search
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Check the bottle of the slides. If they are covered with a fabric type of material I would pass. There is a known problem with that material tearing/bunching up. Forest River/Prime Time will not acknowledge or respond to issues.The edges are also not protected and will lead to rot.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired