cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Replacement

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating replacing the tires on my 1999 Jayco. Yes they are the original tires and they are in great shape with lots of tread left and no weather cracking at all, it is a shame to through them away. These are not trailer tires, they are Goodyear LT235/85 R16's, I know actual trailer tire quality is really sketchy, but since these are light truck tires I have been letting them run.

Has anyone else ran LT tires for a long period of time? I am going to do some checking to see what it will cost to replace them and decide what I want to do.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710
28 REPLIES 28

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
So are their any problems known with the Goodyear Wrangler HT's . That is what is their now and they lasted 16 years so far, so I am thinking just put the same back on. They are 1/2 the price of a G614 !

If the weight rating of the tire matched the needs for your RV you should be ok. Your RV should have a sticker on it showing you the dry weight & loaded weight. Take the Max weight divide by 4 and that will give some ideal what your tires needs to be rated at. It's better to have more tire then you need then not enough.
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
So are their any problems known with the Goodyear Wrangler HT's . That is what is their now and they lasted 16 years so far, so I am thinking just put the same back on. They are 1/2 the price of a G614 !

I would think if they meet your needed weight requirements for your 5er they would be fine.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
We upgrade the tires on our camper. We upgraded to the Goodyear G614 tires at 3750 lb capacity. The G614 is rated 110 PSI at 3750 lbs capacity. You need to check your rims and see what the PSI rating is. Not all rims are rated at 110 psi.
Our camper came with the Goodyear Marathons which are known as "Goodyear China Bombs". Goggle it!
The G614 matched the diameter of the marathons which is a plus and the G614's are made in USA.
Size LT235/85R16
Capacity 3,750 LBS @ 110 PSI
Ply Rating 14
Service Description 126/123 L
Diameter 30.7"
Width 9.5"
Tread Depth 12/32
Stay with a LT tire with a rating the same or higher then what your camper calls for. Stay away from a "ST" rated tires. Also look for the speed rating. If you tow at highway speeds lets say 70 mph or better, you don't want a 65 mph rated tire.
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Craig's list
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ready2gonow
Explorer
Explorer
I am upgrading my gy 614, grated tires to 17.5 wheels and Sailun H rated tires. The GY have served me well, 15000 miles in 2.5 years I have owned my Mobile Suites. but they were 'born' 4208, and I just had one blow. So, since I have a heavy 5vr, I will bite the safety bullet and get the H tires.....TOO BAD there is no place on the forum to sell my 4 16" aluminum wheels, and 3 decent GY 614s...for $400. Hmmm.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've always preferred the look of the alloy wheels over the steel now that you ask.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of trailers pre 2002 model years came with 16" LT tires. Check your certification label. It might have the answer.

FastEagle

skijlw
Explorer
Explorer
I had LT tires on my last trailer. At ten years the tires looked great The first hot day I was traveling about 65 mph when the tire blew. I went to the closest tire store to replace the tires. Another tire was swollen upon inspection. 3K dollars worth of repairs and all was good. I will always get new tires at 8 yr intervals from now on.

Virginia_RVers
Explorer
Explorer
After a few blowouts and the damage they caused. I replace my tires every 3 years, no matter how many miles or how they look. Guess it's my piece of mind and well worth the cost to me.
2014 Dodge 3500 DRW, Cummins Diesel
2007 Crossroads Paradise Pointe PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Chelsea & Duncan (Traveling Scotty Dogs)

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just as well have steel. My last trailer had steel all the way around. My current trailer has four aluminum and one steel for a spare??

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
tegu69 wrote:
Just curious, did you ever find the date code on those tires. Is it possible that the previous owner may have bought tires and forgot about it and told you they were original.

I looked when I bought the trailer and they are dated 1999.

Any opinions on Steel vrs Aluminum rims?
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, did you ever find the date code on those tires. Is it possible that the previous owner may have bought tires and forgot about it and told you they were original.

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Got some more info:

Goodyear Wrangler LT 235/85 R16
Load Range E (3042#)
16x6 Rim

6000# axles
GVWR 13,500#
1999 Jayco Designer 3710