cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires dont line up

pitch_black
Explorer
Explorer
I was putting on homemade wheel chocks and notice the rear tires is nearly an inch off from the front, dont know how long its been this way, will get underneath after this rain and see if all bolts are tight, what do you all think? got a trip in 3 weeks, Thanks
05 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison. 2009 Heartland Big Country 2950RK 5th wheel,prodigy controller, 18k Reese signature series hitch, Line X bed liner
19 REPLIES 19

pitch_black
Explorer
Explorer
hooked up 5er this weekend pulled it out and backed up a few times and the tires now line up, thanks to all
05 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison. 2009 Heartland Big Country 2950RK 5th wheel,prodigy controller, 18k Reese signature series hitch, Line X bed liner

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
pitch black wrote:
mudmaker wrote:
Different rims? May have a different offset which would make it look weird.
factory wheels, hope to pull it out then back up a couple of times this weekend, thanks for all the input

Or simply jack up the suspension one side at a time and relieve the stress.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pitch_black
Explorer
Explorer
mudmaker wrote:
factory wheels, hope to pull it out then back up a couple of times this weekend, thanks for all the input

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Give us an update when you find out.
God Bless!

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
I have to jack mine into the driveway. Once in place I always pull forward and back a few feet as straight as possible to reset the tires. Sometimes they look out of line by 1/4 inch. Tires swell differently. More weight on one side than the other.
If you have the space go back and forward a few times 5-10 feet straight as possible.
Good luck
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, he's already said that he had to jack the trailer to get it next to house. The wheels are not going to be straight until you get on level ground and take the side to side pressure off, like pulling straight ahead for a few feet.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mudmaker wrote:

Can only hope NOT. Virtually every trailer I've ever had experience with had zero offset wheels. Anything different and the bearing/spindle life may be very short.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

pitch_black
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
He may be saying that his vehicle is "crabbing" when he drives down the road. I saw a truck last week doing that.

Sometimes such vehicles have been in a wreck. Sometimes, the fix is a new set of rear leaf springs (on a pickup truck) and a wheel alignment. If it's a car with front wheel drive or independent rear suspension, it's time for a wheel alignment.
have not pulled it after i seen tires did not line up, might have before and did not know it

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Keystone Challenger and a couple years ago after really checking things out my axles are not in line with each other . The tire on the Back axle on passenger side is 1/2 inch out from front tire and on driver side the tire on the back axle is 1/2 inch in from front tire. Apparantly it was this way from day one. I think on mine the spring perches were weld slightly off on the one axle.. I dont have any abnormal tire wear it just looks a little odd.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

pitch_black
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Next time drive down the road 100' or so and then get out and look at the tires, they should be parallel. I think you're seeing the normal flexing of a dual axle trailer.
I hope thats what it is, i have to jack trailer pretty good to get it in beside house

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
He may be saying that his vehicle is "crabbing" when he drives down the road. I saw a truck last week doing that.

Sometimes such vehicles have been in a wreck. Sometimes, the fix is a new set of rear leaf springs (on a pickup truck) and a wheel alignment. If it's a car with front wheel drive or independent rear suspension, it's time for a wheel alignment.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that if it is still an inch off after you straighten your rig as suggested here, you are going to have to do something. My old fw was about 3/8" different side to side and I wore out one tire (inside edge) after about 3000 miles.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Next time drive down the road 100' or so and then get out and look at the tires, they should be parallel. I think you're seeing the normal flexing of a dual axle trailer.