cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for the Toy Hauler

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, my 05 Weekend Warrior needs tires. My current tires are in good shape, but 2 are over 4 years old, and the other 5 are just about 4 years.

The local Americas Tire has Hartland ST tires, can order Carlisle. But I have also been told to get LT tires. So if I change to LT, what would work current are ST 225/75R15. I think LT only come in 235, could I fit 235s on my triple axle trailer without rubbing?
38 REPLIES 38

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
YnotTurbo wrote:
I recommend GoodYear G614's. I have them on my Mobile Suites and will be purchasing 7 more before next spring. Great tires. Keep them at max PSI and trouble free trips...

That is what I run too, but the OP doesn't have 16" wheels or axles that would require the expense of G rated tire.

Better find out if he has 5 or 6 lug wheels...5 lug he's stuck with 15" tires, if he has 6 lug then he has the option to go to 16".

Pretty sure they are 6 lug. I'll count them this weekend.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Cooter wrote:
YnotTurbo wrote:
I recommend GoodYear G614's. I have them on my Mobile Suites and will be purchasing 7 more before next spring. Great tires. Keep them at max PSI and trouble free trips...

That is what I run too, but the OP doesn't have 16" wheels or axles that would require the expense of G rated tire.

Better find out if he has 5 or 6 lug wheels...5 lug he's stuck with 15" tires, if he has 6 lug then he has the option to go to 16".
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
htwheelz67 wrote:
yes that is the top of the line trailer tire BUT I have used them pretty much exclusivly and had a blow out (not sure why) on 3 year old set with about 2k on them, first failure on maxxis tires but, aired them up before the trip and "BOOM" about 30 miles later on the fwy. Go with the LT's.

They're a good tire, but don't know that they are "top of the line trailer tire"....Though far more expensive, The Michelin XPS Ribs are hard to beat and the Duravis R250 tires are "up there" too, comparing like weight tires.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
yes that is the top of the line trailer tire BUT I have used them pretty much exclusivly and had a blow out (not sure why) on 3 year old set with about 2k on them, first failure on maxxis tires but, aired them up before the trip and "BOOM" about 30 miles later on the fwy. Go with the LT's.

mjrfd99
Explorer
Explorer
I have these for 1 yr + now and am very happy. Load range E
My hauler weighs 10 k loaded and the tire don't get very warm.
IIRC I got free shipping then and they delivered to my p/t job
Took mine off 2 at a time and had them changed and balanced at my tire guy. I bought 5 as my spare was old

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/maxxis/product/submitProductSize.do;jsessionid=B02C4B...

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Duravis R250 will be the next tire I go with.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
My prior post was actually incorrect. Your correct 235s will fit a 6" rim OK. I was thinking about the 245/75/16 R250 which I have seen some recommend for 33" axle spacing. Those require a 6.5" min rim width.

I wasn't aware they made the Duravis R250 in a 225/75/16 which looks like it will be a better option for 33" axle spacing as it will still work with most of the 6" wide rims. I think that is the tire I am going to go with.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
The recommended rim width for the Bridgestone Duravis R250 in a LT235/85R16 is 6.0 to 7.5". For the record, I did check that ahead of time for this particular tire. Good catch, it's something that needs to be factored in when buying new rim/tire combo's that are not 100% matches to the OEM.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/duravis-r250
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
BigDogF250 wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
BigDogF250 wrote:
I haven't found a 15" ST tire that will last much past 3 years. In their 4th year I blew 3 in 2 trips, the tread looks fantastic, even after coming through the trailer floor. They separate and break down. With a 10 year old trailer I have gone through 4 sets of ST tires.

16" Rims will run you $70/ea for an exact match to the WW 15" design (at least the one they had in 2006). If you are seriously strapped for cash buy the rims ahead of time. I bought 7 in the spring.

I bought a set of the Bridgestone Duravis R-250's over this last weekend. I went with the larger 235/85 R16 - 10mm wider is no problem but the jump in diameter took some triple measurement to feel comfortable. When in doubt, get out the measuring tape. I have 7" between tires right now and plenty of vertical clearance because of a previous axle flip. If you don't have that much room use one of the smaller sets. All diameter and width measurements are on the tire MFR sites, it's best to not assume they are the same as your existing tires.

Mine will be shipped, mounted and installed sometime in the next 2 weeks, both Costco and Walmart get them are really good prices (about $50 less than retail).

Good luck!

I have seen it, but you are asking for trouble.....

The diameter of a 235/85R16 is approx 31.75" and the radius half of that....... So add 2 tire radius' leaves us 31.75". With 33" axle spacing in a perfect world, that leaves 1.25" between the tires and the axle move closer together during compression travel.

What about centrifugal forces driving down the road? What about worn springs? Manufacturing tolerances welding the hangers on? Manufacturing tolerances in the springs? Overloading?

I would recommend against it form what I have seen roll through the shop over the years.

You are incorrect....There are wheels available.

99+% of the time, is a travel trailer has 5 lug wheels, it has 205/75R15 tires and 15x5" wheels.

Pretty safe to assume with 225 tires, it's 6 lug 4400-6000# axles.

My WW is 6 lug, 6k axles spaced at 35". With the 235/85 R16 Duravis tires on 16" rims posted earlier in this post I have 3.75" between tires. That's why I always insist on getting out the tape measure and checking myself. They do make a 225/75 R16 Duravis as well that might fit trailers with less wheel well or axle spacing. Never trust what might be true on another model, get out the tape and check yours.

I have 2 trips 200mi trips on them now and don't regret ponying up the money. I did it with the ST tires for years to save a little money but lost all that savings when they took out a wheel well. Just my 2 cents and actual experiences. Good luck on the hunt for a better tire.

From what I have seen most 235/85s recommend a 6.5" wide rim while most 16" trailer rims are only 6" wide. Will this cause premature wear issues (down center of tread)? I suspect some shops may not even install when outside recommended rim width.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
BigDogF250 wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
BigDogF250 wrote:
I haven't found a 15" ST tire that will last much past 3 years. In their 4th year I blew 3 in 2 trips, the tread looks fantastic, even after coming through the trailer floor. They separate and break down. With a 10 year old trailer I have gone through 4 sets of ST tires.

16" Rims will run you $70/ea for an exact match to the WW 15" design (at least the one they had in 2006). If you are seriously strapped for cash buy the rims ahead of time. I bought 7 in the spring.

I bought a set of the Bridgestone Duravis R-250's over this last weekend. I went with the larger 235/85 R16 - 10mm wider is no problem but the jump in diameter took some triple measurement to feel comfortable. When in doubt, get out the measuring tape. I have 7" between tires right now and plenty of vertical clearance because of a previous axle flip. If you don't have that much room use one of the smaller sets. All diameter and width measurements are on the tire MFR sites, it's best to not assume they are the same as your existing tires.

Mine will be shipped, mounted and installed sometime in the next 2 weeks, both Costco and Walmart get them are really good prices (about $50 less than retail).

Good luck!

The diameter of a 235/85R16 is approx 31.75" and the radius half of that....... So add 2 tire radius' leaves us 31.75". With 33" axle spacing in a perfect world, that leaves 1.25" between the tires and the axle move closer together during compression travel.

What about centrifugal forces driving down the road? What about worn springs? Manufacturing tolerances welding the hangers on? Manufacturing tolerances in the springs? Overloading?

I would recommend against it form what I have seen roll through the shop over the years.

99+% of the time, is a travel trailer has 5 lug wheels, it has 205/75R15 tires and 15x5" wheels.

My WW is 6 lug, 6k axles spaced at 35". With the 235/85 R16 Duravis tires on 16" rims posted earlier in this post I have 3.75" between tires. That's why I always insist on getting out the tape measure and checking myself. They do make a 225/75 R16 Duravis as well that might fit trailers with less wheel well or axle spacing. Never trust what might be true on another model, get out the tape and check yours.

I have 2 trips 200mi trips on them now and don't regret ponying up the money. I did it with the ST tires for years to save a little money but lost all that savings when they took out a wheel well. Just my 2 cents and actual experiences. Good luck on the hunt for a better tire.

Ill have to find time to get under there and figure out where to measure from. Still trying to figure out everything to get it ready to go in 30 days.

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Cooter wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
BigDogF250 wrote:

Good luck!

Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
htwheelz67 wrote:
Try Roadman mobile tire, I think they are in Riverside, when I got my maxxis tires back in 2011 he beat everyones price and he comes to you, when I got mine it was 890.00 for 6 maxxis 225/75/15E tires mounted and balanced AND included repacking the bearings with new seals.

Thank you, I'll looking to that.

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
Try Roadman mobile tire, I think they are in Riverside, when I got my maxxis tires back in 2011 he beat everyones price and he comes to you, when I got mine it was 890.00 for 6 maxxis 225/75/15E tires mounted and balanced AND included repacking the bearings with new seals.

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go for the 8008's if you can afford the extra $$$$. The Towmax would be my second choice as I have seen really good results from the 13, 14, and 15"ers. Stay away from the Towmax 16"....70% failure rate.

Used to see 90%+ failure rates from the Carlisle back in the day which was a disappointment since they were USA made. Don't know about the new ones....won't sell any to find out.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated