cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Many 5th Wheels models-Update

fishkiller
Explorer
Explorer
I know just pick the floor plan you like But....

Looking to upgrade out of the camper No storage.

Trying to keep it 35 ft or less. Mid to upper quality rigs

try to CAMP in places without hook ups sometimes

Buying new.

Going to look at arctic fox tomorrow 4 hours away. 29-t/k or 32-m. No dealer closer by. Would not like to drive that far for any work that needed to be done. is the 32-m to long for some of the Oregon Washington Idaho campgrounds? pros cons from somebody that owns theses models. Options needed. Don't like the blow up bed.

Looked at some longer bighorn 357SE to long, Heartland big country not really impressed. 1 battery box?

Looked at a redwood 31 SL under 35 ft kinda nice a little too nice, I don't want to live in it, but some real wood, nice larger bath, auto level, air ride hitch. Fancy and Pricey. Hows the customer support/quality doing these days. Any better or worse than most of the industry. Ha Ha.

Hard to keep track of all these models. I don't think any had disc brakes. Are disc brakes a nice upgrade??

Do I need to get a fancy B W hitch for my 2008 dodge DRW or will some of the {lesser} hitches work as far as ride goes. No Chucking and soo on, ride is important to me. Still younger so I can still lift.

Will keep updating as the search continues heading to Nevada over the weekend in the camper to look and visit friends and find the perfect 5th wheel!!..........For me anyway.
23 REPLIES 23

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how much storage you need you could look at some of the toyhaulers out there that have the smaller 8-10ft garage, tandem axle and front bedroom/bath. Plus you could store your hitch in the garage on your toyhauler when your not towing it. Also the haulers have larger 100gal plus fresh water tanks, larger gray and black tanks, usually built in gas generators, not LP like a reg 5th wheel would have. Just a thought.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mtofell1 wrote:
Manufacturers are all different as are dealers and the deals available at any given time of year. I paid 31K for a 2016 Keystone product with an MSRP of 47K at the end of January from a dealer desperate to make a sale at the end of a slow month.

I'd imagine as winter turns to spring and people are out shopping the super deals are harder to find. 25% off MSRP should be a starting point though.

From everything I've read here, 30-35% discount is much more "normal", on the average. You find a left-over that's been sitting on a lot somewhere, 40-45% is doable. My biggest issue with a "left-over" is why =is= it a left-over?

Also, never forget that "MSRP" for many brands is some number a dealer pulled out of his nether regions and that it's possible to find identical units with an "MSRP" thousands different. Doc fees, dealer prep and delivery in no way make up for these difference, either.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers are all different as are dealers and the deals available at any given time of year. I paid 31K for a 2016 Keystone product with an MSRP of 47K at the end of January from a dealer desperate to make a sale at the end of a slow month.

I'd imagine as winter turns to spring and people are out shopping the super deals are harder to find. 25% off MSRP should be a starting point though.

fishkiller
Explorer
Explorer
fishkiller wrote:
I know just pick the floor plan you like But....

Looking to upgrade out of the camper No storage.

Trying to keep it 35 ft or less. Mid to upper quality rigs

try to CAMP in places without hook ups sometimes

Buying new.

Going to look at arctic fox tomorrow 4 hours away. 29-t/k or 32-m. No dealer closer by. Would not like to drive that far for any work that needed to be done. is the 32-m to long for some of the Oregon Washington Idaho campgrounds? pros cons from somebody that owns theses models. Options needed. Don't like the blow up bed.

Looked at some longer bighorn 357SE to long, Heartland big country not really impressed. 1 battery box?

Looked at a redwood 31 SL under 35 ft kinda nice a little too nice, I don't want to live in it, but some real wood, nice larger bath, auto level, air ride hitch. Fancy and Pricey. Hows the customer support/quality doing these days. Any better or worse than most of the industry. Ha Ha.

Hard to keep track of all these models. I don't think any had disc brakes. Are disc brakes a nice upgrade??

Do I need to get a fancy B W hitch for my 2008 dodge DRW or will some of the {lesser} hitches work as far as ride goes. No Chucking and soo on, ride is important to me. Still younger so I can still lift.

Will keep updating as the search continues heading to Nevada over the weekend in the camper to look and visit friends and find the perfect 5th wheel!!..........For me anyway.

Looked over the weekend at arctic fox. 29-5t and 32-m.

What is a good price for the 29 lowest quote was 51,500 on the 29-t basic model??

were does the extra length come from in the 32-M. liked the FP and storage tv placement Is this unit to big to camp with in the northwest. Both coaches no frills. toppers and the 32 had bigger water heater, Is auto level a good option?

Grand design Solitude 321 and 300 both at 35 ft with different floor plan. Both are real nice lux units. 6 point auto level solid surfaces good storage and insulated nicely. Some larger montana models. all in the upper 60 value range.

Can one expect to get 25% of there unreal MSRP's, I would imagine not a good time of the year for deals??

still looking thanks for any replys

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Northwood MFG 5er. As far a warranty work goes, Northwood will assist you in finding an RV repair facility near you if you need something fixed and are not near a dealer. We bought ours 300 miles away and we had a warranty item fixed by a local independent RV shop. Just call Northwood and they arranged it.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gsport wrote:
I've had my Grand Design Solitude for three years now and couldn't be happier. I don't think you could go wrong with any Grand Design unit..

Unless one wants a trailer with a rear cap, like I do! the Solitude is their higher new unit, yet no rear cap.

There is a trend going on not installing rear caps. Even a Montana has to be ordered just so, or you get no rear cap.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Grand Design Solitude for three years now and couldn't be happier. I don't think you could go wrong with any Grand Design unit..

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check Montana 3160RL also. 35'6". Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dcg9381 wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
I have become a fan of mobile RV repair companies. They come to you and can do the warranty work. My dealer is over three hours away and the local shop has a six week back log. I called the mfg and said I'm not driving three hours one way or waiting months for a repair and they set me up with the mobile RV repair company.

Who is your manufacturer?
Keystone lays out in their manual that it's the owner's responsibility to get it to a dealer. I had all of our LED lighting die (defective) on the road and the best response I could get was drive it 1000 miles back to the original dealer or wait 3-6 months until a local dealer could get it in.

Kudos to manufacturers who are flexible in their solutions.

I spoke with KZ and they are well aware that they are a smaller mfr. and don't seem to have a problem working with local RV repair service people when a dealer isn't available. They also have a good rep and one of their Durango 1500 models is on my short list.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BH3010 has rear entertainment and king bed. The BH3160 has Queen bed and side entertainment. Chris

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are going through a similar search. Liked the Bighorn 3270 until the tight small shower was pointed out to us.

The Cardinal 3250 has appeal except peninsula blocks refer when the slides are in.

Liked the Bighorn 3570, except none on West Coast, and it has been replaced with the BH3575el, which is 39'+. Will most likely end up with the BH3575el with full body paint if we sell the house. Like everything about it, just longer than we would prefer. Has more counter space than the 3570.

Cedar Creek 34L is 36'3". Refer access, big bath, king bed and straight on TV viewing. Slightly plain on inside. Love the outside.

Chris

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually it is quite easy to knock em down to a few models.

Start with freshwater tankage. If it is less than 80gal cut it from the herd. Anything less is good for a couple night wekend, not much more unless you run to the CG restroom/shower. I am thinking drycamping.

Next easy one to reduce some more is the galley layout. So many have very little counterspace like you get with an island or "U" shaped galley.

Make a decent size fridge a must have.

Set your maximum length & stick to it. Your 35' length is a good one if you plan to do SPs & NPs.

Eliminate the known junk builders from this much shorter list.

By now you should be down to less than 6 possible models.

Start the search & don't be swayed on "such a deal" on a model you don't want. You will regret it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
dcg9381 wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
I have become a fan of mobile RV repair companies. They come to you and can do the warranty work. My dealer is over three hours away and the local shop has a six week back log. I called the mfg and said I'm not driving three hours one way or waiting months for a repair and they set me up with the mobile RV repair company.

Keystone lays out in their manual that it's the owner's responsibility to get it to a dealer. I had all of our LED lighting die (defective) on the road and the best response I could get was drive it 1000 miles back to the original dealer or wait 3-6 months until a local dealer could get it in.

Forrest River Sierra
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote: