musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone use a tonnaeu cover when they are not hooked up to 5er
47 REPLIES 47

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the FOLD-A-COVER G4 here. It is made of hard plastic and is lockable... It also provides great protection from weather and rain.

The FOLD-A-COVER opens up on both ends so you can have a tool box sitting under it just behind the truck rear window.

It also all folds back and stacks up just behind the rear truck window and this gives enough clearance to use the fifth wheel hookup. Just ensure your 5th wheel hitch does not go higher the sides of the truck bed.

The only draw back I have with mine is when I was hooked up to the fifth wheel it was a challenge to get into my tool box but not impossible. I could gain access by raising all the folds in the vertical position

Above photos from google search

I also keep my 2KW Honda Generator sitting secured in my truck bed. This worked out great support the fifth wheel when I was towing one. When unhooked everything becomes out-of-sight out-of-mind in regard to what is stored in the truck bed.

I have moved my FOLD-A_COVER to two trucks now...

It really works wonders with my POPUP trailer giving me lots more covered storage space. This is where my 2Kw Honda generator lives 24/7

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Fold-A-Cover G4 here.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

oldakerw
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have an access toolbox type roll up tonneau cover.
BillO
South Prince George, VA
2014 F-250 SRW 2WD Crew Cab 172" Lariat 6.7L Diesel Ruby Red Metallic black inside

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a TonnoPro Tri-Fold on my last two trucks. No rails on the side for the back of your pin box to hang on. Previously had an Access roll up cover with rails on the side. Once on a tight turn backing up the back of the pin box hit the rail. Not only bending the rail but creasing the truck bed. No rail, tri-fold cover from now on.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Extang Trifecta Tri-fold.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Tonneau Pro Tri-Fold. It works great.
Youtube link here.

I see brirene beat me to it! The cover can be completely removed if needed in just about 5 minutes and can easily be carried by one person.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a fairly inexpensive Tonno Pro trifold for several years. I like that the area in front of the hitch it's covered while towing. Anytime I'm not towing the bed is fully covered. I think it was only around $250, iirc.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit that stays on all the time. Pull it all the way back when not towing to hide things in the bed. And keeps the hitch out of the weather. Pull it back to near the hitch when towing if I have something in the front of the bed I want to hide.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Have the Extange cover. Only drawback is the tool box behind the cab is a pain to get to when the tonneau cover is in use. Rolls up easily and comes with two sewn in velcro straps the secure it when rolled.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
RedAce wrote:
We use a truxedo

Me too. Rolls up by cab when towing, covers all when not.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retrax Pro, I posted a topic on here about the same thing. Happy with my choice.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
thank all i got some great ideas happy trails

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BAK Roll-X. I have 4 wing nuts holding it in the front so when I tow I unwing nut it and lay it in the front of the bed. When I unhook the 5th wheel I put it back on this way no one sees my hitch. real easy.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours during the winter. Hard cover, hitch out.

RedAce
Explorer
Explorer
We use a truxedo