cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonneau Cover

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want a tonneau cover for my truck, I have never owned a cover before so I know nothing. The covers I am interested in are the Retrax Pro, Bak RollX, and Undercover Elite. My concerns are with towing, what are some issues with these? I understand I would need to remove the Undercover while towing, but what about the other two? Is the RollX in the way while hitching, and during tight turns? Do the rails present problems with pin box clearance?
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider
17 REPLIES 17

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
drfife wrote:
glazier wrote:
I ordered a Retrax Pro, thanks for all the replies.

You will like the Retax Pro. I've had mine for nearly 3 years. No problems towing. Works and looks great.

That is great to hear, your combo is very close to mine. I have around 8" Bed Clearance, I should be OK.
B&W Companion Slider

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
glazier wrote:

You will like the Retax Pro. I've had mine for nearly 3 years. No problems towing. Works and looks great.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
B&W Companion Slider

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
The Pace Edwards bedlocker I have is really nice. About 10 years old and still looks and works great. Almost watertight. You can open it to whatever position and it will lock in place there. When I installed a manual button the cab the folks at bedlocker were very helpful. Great construction and materials.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonneau Pro on my 8ft bed. Soft cover that I can easily roll up by myself when towing, or roll down to the tailgate when not. Mine works great, and reasonably priced. Adds about a half inch to the height of the bed rails, so no problem with height in that regard. From what I've seen, I don't think that there's all that much difference between the major brands. But I would recommend you buy over the internet. The one I bought was a good $150 less than I could buy at a local truck accessory shop, arrived the day after I ordered it (shipping included), and took all of 20 to 30 minutes to install. Easy-Peasy...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the retractable type might be what I am leaning toward. I just saw the Truck Covers USA, and I might look at the Full Metal Jackrabbit. I am still very undecided.
B&W Companion Slider

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Rollx on Ram long bed. Have aux fuel tank and B&W hitch. No issues with clearance.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BakFlip F1 on my shortbed Dodge. Stays on folded to the last section. Hitch clears it just fine although I do have an auto slider hitch. The last section can be flipped up against the cab window if hitch would hit otherwise.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We have a RolBak G2, an air hitch, aux tank, and tool box, and haven't had any problems yet.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Can't comment on the brands you listed. But a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit tonneau cover on my previous truck and another on my current truck have presented no problems at all; towing, hooking up, or turning.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truxedo LoPro and no problems...3 years now.

Took it off my 2002 and moved it to the 2012.

Kne
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I have retrax and with it being lockable and my standard locking tailgate I can secure everything in my truck bed plus their customer service is great, they really stand behind their product.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Access cover for over ten yrs-still looks brand new.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
mine is the truxedo lowpro series