cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much voltage from bedroom 12v cigarette lighter port??

versicom
Explorer
Explorer
My multimeter is telling me that the 12v outlet in my 5th wheel bedroom putting out way too much voltage for about 2 seconds and them drops to the normal 12v. It's cooking any 12v device I plug into it. I have checked the socket and tried a new one so it's not the socket. The other 12v outlets in the trailer are all normal constant 12v. Anyone have any ideas? Do they make a 12v middle man conditioner that keeps voltage at 12v?

Weekend Warrior SLC 3705 (38' fifth wheel triple axel)
17 REPLIES 17

Ramen
Explorer
Explorer
If he had the wrong polarity, there would be a negative sign on his digital multimeter. I guess that could be a reason that things are cooking.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Is the polarity backward? That would explain smoking things.
Unless there is a second power supply, it is near impossible to have a higher voltage at this socket then the rest.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

versicom
Explorer
Explorer
I am not using utility power. only battery power with my generator off. brand new batteries. I have the IOTA Engineering DLS-30. Again, all other 12v outlets work fine.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Try unplugging from utility power and see if the spike goes away.
s/b same as battery terminal voltage at that point.

versicom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the auto-range idea. that could be the cause of the short overload reading in the beginning. My FLIR meter has the ability to set the range static which I will try. Thanks Ramen, I will plan to disconnect everything and tone the line to see where it's running. The only explanation for burning up any 12v device I plug into it would be too much voltage/amperage considering I have tried two different 12v outlets (brand new). I will re-wire and call it a day. The toner should help with finding the line. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Ramen
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug all other devices, voltage test from that outlet. Next step I would do is to disconnect battery/power and see what is behind that outlet and trace the wire back. I would install fuses if they don't already have them.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Autorange is easy to check by using same sequence testing on the battery direct.
Still does not explain stuff burning up.

My first thought was malfunctioning converter and no battery or battery disconnected.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
versicom wrote:
what I mean by smoking is simply it burns up and 12v item I plug into the outlet.
Please give an example of what burned up...?

I am a computer engineer and quite capable with a multimeter. It should not be producing an overload when connected. It is clear to me that the outlet is getting to much voltage. I plan to rewire the socket which will not be an easy job as I do not know where the wires run. The owners manual came with no wiring schematics.

I tried to explain it to you.
Think this through, don't you find it strange that you only see this "spike" when you first connect the meter..? Ever wonder why there are no continuous spikes/high voltage readings...? Like I said above, its the auto ranging feature on your meter, momentarily showing overload while finding the correct range.
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

versicom
Explorer
Explorer
what I mean by smoking is simply it burns up and 12v item I plug into the outlet. I am a computer engineer and quite capable with a multimeter. It should not be producing an overload when connected. It is clear to me that the outlet is getting to much voltage. I plan to rewire the socket which will not be an easy job as I do not know where the wires run. The owners manual came with no wiring schematics.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
versicom wrote:
Upon connecting the multimeter, I get a 20v "overload" spike and then 1 second later drops to 12.8v.

Common on many auto ranging multimeters to go to a overload reading momentarily while switching to the correct range. And it is diffidently not a spike, its the meter.
It means nothing and is normal. Has nothing to do with your dc voltage problem, if you even have one...

Explain in detail what you mean by...
"smoking whatever I plug into it"...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
20 volts does seem rather odd. It should be tied directly to the battery through the 12v distribution system. Seems like some other power source is bleeding into this 12v outlet. Is the 12v connector OEM or added after the fact? Where is it connected?

I would find the fuse that cuts power and check voltage there. Possibly a poor ground back feeding through some other system.

versicom
Explorer
Explorer
Upon connecting the multimeter, I get a 20v "overload" spike and then 1 second later drops to 12.8v. The batteries are new and all other 12v outlets work normally. It is just this one in the master bedroom that is smoking whatever I plug into it. I'm thinking I might need to rewire it direct to the batteries instead of spending too much time troubleshooting. I figured someone might have experienced this and have a quick answer but perhaps not. Cheers.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If you're only getting 12 volts from ANY 12 volt outlet then you have very low batteries (about 50% charged). Normal voltage at any 12 volt outlet should be around 12.6 volts with nothing charging the batteries at the time. Probably up around 13.5 to 14+ when batteries are being charged.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Depending on your converter, it may have been in a desulfate mode for the batteries. I would go back and check it again.

When he said just a few seconds thought about static charge. Just long enough to cause problems for something plugged into the outlet.