Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a cyclone 4100

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy y'all!!

I am contemplating purchasing a Cyclone 4100 toyhauler...have y'all (it's a Texas thing) seen this coach, boy is it sharp!! Im looking for advise/help. Anyrate, this coach isn't exactly a light one which brings me to my question. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab diesel dually with the 5.9, 6spd standard trans w/airbags and a B&W companion hitch. I can't find good info that says yay or nay to me pulling/towing it. Can find it for everything else but mine. Do I have enough truck? I've combed the forum and see some guys towing these coaches with a SRW 3/4 ton..:h...back to my question. Do I have the truck to pull this coach?

Thanks to anyone that can help!!
48 REPLIES 48

mitchmitchell16
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I think you are right -- I checked the axle that is on the F-450 and it is a Dana S111, rated at 14000 lbs. Not sure why Ford lowered the rating unless it was to stay in the class 3 truck classification.

(edited because it looks like rear axle is a Dana S111 not the S130)
Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light X213
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch
Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster
PentaMetric Battery Monitor
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

DanB-ON
Explorer
Explorer
mitchmitchell1616 wrote:
Let me jump in here with some questions:

After reading these forums (and several others) I did go a buy a 2015 Ford F-450. We are hoping to eventually get a Heartland Cyclone 4200 toy hauler.

By the numbers (taken from here: http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/view-all/ \
and here:
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=toyhaulers&sc=CYC&i=CY+4200+All+New+Concept%21&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan )

2015 Ford F-450
GCWR: 40400 lbs
GVWR: 14000 lbs
Front GAWR: 5940 lbs
Rear GAWR: 9100 lbs
Max Tow (conventional): 19000 lbs
Max Tow (fifth wheel): 31200 lbs
Vehicle Weight: 8611 lbs

From the stickers on the truck:
Max Payload: 4708 lbs
sticker values match published values above as well.

2015 Cyclone 4200
GVWR: 20000 lbs
Dry Weight: 15725 lbs
Pin Weight: 3525 lbs
Cargo Capacity: 4227 lbs

Referencing an online towing calculator:
http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingScaledWeights/?gvwr=14000&tw=9300&ew=1000&ct=FW

Guessing that the trucks actual weight (GVWR - Payload Rating) is 9292 lbs

The calculator indicates the truck can tow a conventional travel trailer up to 37000 lbs (based on tongue weight at 15% of total weight)
but can only tow a fifth wheel of 18500 lbs (based on pin weight at 25% of total weight)

This is calculated based on cargo capacity alone on this particular calculator, assuming an extra payload of 1000 lbs.

That sounds backward -- I would have thought

1. Towing a fifth wheeler would allow heavier weight based on the weight being over the axles.

2. The calculator implies the F-450 can't tow a 42 foot toy hauler??

Please help me out with these figures here?

Thanks,

Mitch

That new F450 can easily and comfortably tow any toy hauler made by any of the mass production brands. Buy the 4200 if you want and hook up and enjoy, you have almost 1200 pounds of extra payload over the dry tongue weight. People are more commonly 1200 over weight then 1200 under.
That leaves you a lot of room for the family, gas, dog, loading up the bedroom of the trailer and anything else you might want to take along.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 39R12

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
mitchmitchell1616 wrote:

After reading these forums (and several others) I did go a buy a 2015 Ford F-450. We are hoping to eventually get a Heartland Cyclone 4200 toy hauler.

By the numbers (taken from here: http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/view-all/ \
and here:
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=toyhaulers&sc=CYC&i=CY+4200+All+New+Concept%21&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan )

http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingScaledWeights/?gvwr=14000&tw=9300&ew=1000&ct=FW

Thanks,

Mitch

May I recommend a better calculator? RV Tow Check
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Chevrolet K4500 Dmax/auto w/hauler bed up to the Cy 4100 pulling task?

mitchmitchell16
Explorer
Explorer

and here:

2015 Ford F-450
GCWR: 40400 lbs
GVWR: 14000 lbs
Front GAWR: 5940 lbs
Rear GAWR: 9100 lbs
Max Tow (conventional): 19000 lbs
Max Tow (fifth wheel): 31200 lbs
Vehicle Weight: 8611 lbs

From the stickers on the truck:
Max Payload: 4708 lbs
sticker values match published values above as well.

2015 Cyclone 4200
GVWR: 20000 lbs
Dry Weight: 15725 lbs
Pin Weight: 3525 lbs
Cargo Capacity: 4227 lbs

Guessing that the trucks actual weight (GVWR - Payload Rating) is 9292 lbs

The calculator indicates the truck can tow a conventional travel trailer up to 37000 lbs (based on tongue weight at 15% of total weight)
but can only tow a fifth wheel of 18500 lbs (based on pin weight at 25% of total weight)

This is calculated based on cargo capacity alone on this particular calculator, assuming an extra payload of 1000 lbs.

That sounds backward -- I would have thought

1. Towing a fifth wheeler would allow heavier weight based on the weight being over the axles.

2. The calculator implies the F-450 can't tow a 42 foot toy hauler??

Thanks,

Mitch
Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light X213
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch
Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster
PentaMetric Battery Monitor
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

captainjohn2008
Explorer
Explorer
I wish everyone would just do as I did. Just go out and buy a '08-'10 F450 with the 4:88 gear set and call it a day. No modifications necessary and you can tow just about anything that's made. Might be just the Martini that I'm currently drinking but it just seems ridiculous, the talk of this single wheel truck, that mega cab, this law suit etc. etc. A cyclone 4100 requires a dual wheel pickup minimum. Just get it over with and buy an F450!

dedmiston
Strabo wrote:
*Yawn*....When do we Go Camping?

Knock, knock.....Hey Moderator, ill buy you a Smothered Burrito at that place in Trona, and i will throw in fuel tank carry for you Clan...

Lets Rock!!

Strappy....;)

Deal!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
*Yawn*....When do we Go Camping?

Knock, knock.....Hey Moderator, ill buy you a Smothered Burrito at that place in Trona, and i will throw in fuel tank carry for you Clan...

Lets Rock!!

Strappy....;)
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
I had a typo. Meant to say I would not tow that with my rig
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
Another BIG difference in an older 1T DRW and a newer 1T SRW is the frame. Ram has the 50k PSI frame that wasnt around back then...as well as a completely different front end, etc. Lots of changes. That being said, I would tow that big of a Cyclone with my 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW...I would be staying around a 3110 Cyclone or such

There's no doubt that a 2014 Mega Cab 4X4 Bighorn SRW could tow a Cyclone 4100 without exceeding the truck's ratings... that is if one can limit the trailer cargo to about 1,500 pounds.

Considering that this 2014 Mega Cab has only 25K GCWR, 12.4K GVWR and the base weight is 8,107 pounds, that doesn't provide much payload availability after adding the hitch, about 200 pounds cargo and 340 pounds of passenger weight. The best this configuration can tow at 20% pin weight is 16,090 pounds and not exceed any of the ratings. Towing a conventional trailer is slightly better at 16,290 pounds.
Dave Gray

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Another BIG difference in an older 1T DRW and a newer 1T SRW is the frame. Ram has the 50k PSI frame that wasnt around back then...as well as a completely different front end, etc. Lots of changes. That being said, I would tow that big of a Cyclone with my 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW...I would be staying around a 3110 Cyclone or such
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
About two years ago, I contacted five attorneys who advertised services for RVers. Only one responded. This attorney had never represented a case that involved overweight conditions. He went on to say he had never heard of such a case.

Additionally, I contacted my State Farm agent who had the district claims rep call me. When I asked about weighing the RV after an accident, he laughed. He said RV weight is not State Farm's concern. He also said, with a little chuckle, that they were not going to scoop up the wreckage to weigh it.

When I requested help from the informed RVers in the past to provide any legal cases in reference to RV overweight issues, none have ever provided any legitimate info or links.

In this growing litigious society, anything could happen. But to use it as a fear tactic, I'm not so sure it is a responsible thing to do. If a person wants to ignore the weight ratings, that is their business. As an RV safety expert, I provide the best tools and information for the RVer to be fully informed. I don't police their decision.
Dave Gray

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
:S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S

CabinetmakerII wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Why do people continue to post this incorrect information? Insurance companies to not refuse to pay for stupidity. If you are driving 100mph and crash, they pay. If you run a red light and crash, they pay. If you run overloaded and crash, they pay.

You may get a nice surcharge when you renew, or they may drop you the following year, but they pay.........

CabinetmakerII wrote:
I might be a bit late responding but here is something to think about: In the event you are ever in an accident and it is determined that your TV/TH was overloaded, there is a possibility your insurance company will not cover any of the damages incurred. I purchased my F-450 in anticipation of purchasing my Cyclone 3800 (18K pound rig). I will never be "Under Trucked". Safe travels to all!

My information came from an insurance underwriter... I believed her and I am not willing to take a chance. Again, I will not be "Under Trucked"
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

dedmiston
CabinetmakerII wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Why do people continue to post this incorrect information? Insurance companies to not refuse to pay for stupidity. If you are driving 100mph and crash, they pay. If you run a red light and crash, they pay. If you run overloaded and crash, they pay.

You may get a nice surcharge when you renew, or they may drop you the following year, but they pay.........

CabinetmakerII wrote:
I might be a bit late responding but here is something to think about: In the event you are ever in an accident and it is determined that your TV/TH was overloaded, there is a possibility your insurance company will not cover any of the damages incurred. I purchased my F-450 in anticipation of purchasing my Cyclone 3800 (18K pound rig). I will never be "Under Trucked". Safe travels to all!

My information came from an insurance underwriter... I believed her and I am not willing to take a chance. Again, I will not be "Under Trucked"

Underwriters don't work in Claims. They can raise your rates or cancel your policy, but an Underwriter can't deny your claim.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230