Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a cyclone 4100

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy y'all!!

I am contemplating purchasing a Cyclone 4100 toyhauler...have y'all (it's a Texas thing) seen this coach, boy is it sharp!! Im looking for advise/help. Anyrate, this coach isn't exactly a light one which brings me to my question. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab diesel dually with the 5.9, 6spd standard trans w/airbags and a B&W companion hitch. I can't find good info that says yay or nay to me pulling/towing it. Can find it for everything else but mine. Do I have enough truck? I've combed the forum and see some guys towing these coaches with a SRW 3/4 ton..:h...back to my question. Do I have the truck to pull this coach?

Thanks to anyone that can help!!
48 REPLIES 48

I_m_Rick_James
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
lakings10 wrote:
I'm Rick James wrote:
lakings10 wrote:
lol he has a Drw.

Yes your truck will do fine. I tow my 18k fuzion 404 with my 13 Ram 2500 with ease.

You are grossly overweight, please don't encourage others to do the same.

Im not grossley overweight. My truck is rated for 17.5k, all im over on is payload, and even at that, im not close to my rawr.

My truck pulls the trailer very nice and stable.

I know you don't want to hear it cause you are convinced.....but you have bought into the mfg. hype.
Max tow rating is NOT real world numbers. (Max Trailer = GCVWR-base weight-170# (driver weight + 20# optional equipment)

Your 2013 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000#
payload of 2600# (GVWR-base weight)
RAWR of 6200#

With that 18K Fuzion you are overweight on trucks GVWR, actual payload and RAWR.
A trip across the scales will tell..........if you are honest with yourself.
Otherwise you are just convinced it isn't.

You forgot to mention that he's over on one of the most important rating, his tires. I hope I never have to share the same stretch of road with this guy.

Additionally, this individual refuses to acknowledge simple facts. I wonder if these types of people ever wonder why DRW pickups were conceived?
'08 Ford F350 LB,CC, 4x4 King Ranch, Reunel front and rear winch bumpers, Warn 12k winch
'12 Voltage 3900
'10 Polaris Ranger Crew
BAN Ib516, rick83864

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
A newer model 350/3500 dually crew cab with a 14000# GVWR which you are aware of.

From your earlier post
A new 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel with Aisen auto is rated to 30k GCWR.
That truck has a GVWR of 14000# and with 4:10 gearing is capable of safely towing an 18K GVWR 5th wheel tow hauler.

Your 2006 Mega cab dually with it's 10,500# GVWR is capable of safely towing a 15K GVWR 5th wheel.

You just need to match trailer to truck.

Really want that CY4100..then get a bigger rated truck.

OR do more shopping for one that is within your current trucks ratings.

Simple math.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
So what is/would your recommendations be for a tow rig for this coach? Cause from what I can see looking at the numbers this is 450/4500 + territory.

I guess let me elaborate a bit. A new 1 ton isn't even capable...well exept the regular cab, I can't do that. I need 4 doors for the wife and 2 kiddos.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakings10 wrote:
I'm Rick James wrote:
lakings10 wrote:
lol he has a Drw.

Yes your truck will do fine. I tow my 18k fuzion 404 with my 13 Ram 2500 with ease.

Im not grossley overweight. My truck is rated for 17.5k, all im over on is payload, and even at that, im not close to my rawr.

I know you don't want to hear it cause you are convinced.....but you have bought into the mfg. hype.
Max tow rating is NOT real world numbers. (Max Trailer = GCVWR-base weight-170# (driver weight + 20# optional equipment)

Your 2013 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000#
payload of 2600# (GVWR-base weight)
RAWR of 6200#

With that 18K Fuzion you are overweight on trucks GVWR, actual payload and RAWR.
A trip across the scales will tell..........if you are honest with yourself.
Otherwise you are just convinced it isn't.

_plit
Explorer
Explorer
i may be wrong but the Dodge dually mega cab isnt rated for 30K lbs with the aisin tranny..i think that is only the single cab or extended cab DRW from dodge? In any case people will use what they use to tow with unfortunately, I bought mine to keep my kids and my rig safe when towing.

And yes OP, thats a nice rig! good luck with what you figure out.

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
A97ace wrote:
Howdy y'all!!

I am contemplating purchasing a Cyclone 4100 toyhauler...have y'all (it's a Texas thing) seen this coach, boy is it sharp!! Im looking for advise/help. Anyrate, this coach isn't exactly a light one which brings me to my question. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab diesel dually with the 5.9, 6spd standard trans w/airbags and a B&W companion hitch. I can't find good info that says yay or nay to me pulling/towing it. Can find it for everything else but mine. Do I have enough truck? I've combed the forum and see some guys towing these coaches with a SRW 3/4 ton..:h...back to my question. Do I have the truck to pull this coach?

Thanks to anyone that can help!!

Will depend upon your desire to stay within published ratings. Use the intel above and the links provided to figure out your weights (you'll want to have your pickup weighed to know the actual numbers).

The problem isn't going to be power; it'll be braking and suspension. If you decide to tow with your pickup definitely look into the exhaust brake add-on. We have an '06 with the factory exhaust brake and its the bomb on long declines.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Rick James wrote:
lakings10 wrote:
lol he has a Drw.

2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

I_m_Rick_James
Explorer
Explorer
lakings10 wrote:
lol he has a Drw.

'08 Ford F350 LB,CC, 4x4 King Ranch, Reunel front and rear winch bumpers, Warn 12k winch
'12 Voltage 3900
'10 Polaris Ranger Crew
BAN Ib516, rick83864

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go weigh your truck 'camp ready' (you, passengers and any stuff that would be in the cab)

That weigh ticket ($10-$12) will be priceless in figuring out what you can really tow within your trucks ratings.
Weigh ticket will have:
Front axle weight
Rear axle weight and
Total trucks weight.

Compare those numbers to your trucks ratings
Truck GVWR 10,500 minus actual total weight
Truck FAWR 4,750 minus actual front axle weight
Truck RAWR 9,350 minus actual rear axle weight

With that 9350 RAWR you will have more available axle weight but will reach GVWR of truck quickly.

Truck will probably weigh in around 7500# (or more)
10,500 - 7500 leaves 3000# before reaching GVWR
That CY4100 lists a 'dry pin weight' of 3000#
So before you put anything in that CY4100 you have max'd out your trucks GVWR.

Your truck has a max tow rating of 15,550# (mfg. published number using 150# driver and base model).
That CY4100 has a 'dry weight' of 14,595#. That is only 955# less than your mfg. magical max tow rating

Look at the data plate on your trucks door.
Weigh the truck....do you own figuring.

You have plenty of rear axle..just not enough overall truck.
Mega Cabs have lower ratings due to that MEGA CAB

Can't compare 2006 against a 2015. Completely different engineering/frames/suspension/engines/transmissions etc.
Apples and oranges

Yes there are lots of big/heavy trailers being towed by 2500 and 3500
Most, if they would be honest and get weighed will be overweight

The RV Safety & Education Foundation data indicates that 57% of all RVs on the road exceed one or more weight safety ratings.

Additionally, the following exceed at least one rating:

60% of all tow vehicles
51% of all travel trailers
55% of all 5th wheel trailers
50% of all trailers exceed the GVWR

After you get your real numbers (weighed) here is a 'tow calculator' to help figure what you can tow within ratings.
If rantings don't matter....ignore

RV Tow Check

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Biscuit, that's exactly what I'm searching for...facts!! Do 3/4 tons haul these trailers (I've read on here)...sure. Does Chrysler underrate these trucks...absolutely (one would have to think these ratings have some meaning) Is it safe to do the overloaded aforementioned...well do we really need to answer that? I however don't want to take any uneccecary risks with the fam in the truck and a 15k+ trailer following my every move...if I'm so lucky and in control. I've been researching trucks. What I'm not understanding is...let's stay brand specific for simplicity.

A new 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel with Aisen auto is rated to 30k GCWR. When I switch to manual trans it cuts the rating in half to 17k GCWR. Why??

How/why does the automatic trans have any bearing on what the trucks suspension/brakes can safely support/stop/tow?

Both trucks being 1 ton duallies what is different about the new 2015 vs my 2006 other than the 9 yrs difference (brakes, frame, springs, axle ect...)? Per your example there isn't a huge difference in HP/TRQ numbers between the motors.

How/why can a new one pull it but the 06 can't?

Thanks for your help!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Dually
gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 10,500 lb
payload capacity up to 3240 lb (depending on trim)
rear gross axle weight rating (GAWR) 9,350 lb
maximum trailer weight of 15,600 lb (course trucks gvwr and actual payload will be reached long before max tow rating is reached)

5.9L CTD
The 2005 to 2007 Cummins was rated at 325 hp @ 2,900 rpm & 610 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm.

6.7L CTD
2013 - 2014
โ€ข 350 hp @ 2,800 rpm-------โ€ข 660 lb-ft @ 1,500 rpm (manual trans)
โ€ข 370 hp @ 2,800 rpm-------โ€ข 800 lb-ft @ 1,700 rpm (68RFE trans)
โ€ข 385 hp @ 2,800 rpm-------โ€ข 850 lb-ft @ 1,700 rpm (Aisin AS69RC trans)

Either Cummins motor is capable of pull a heavy load..that's what diesel do
Towing is not just about pulling, it's also about the vehicle's capability of carrying the load and controlling it.

Your 2006 can't carry the load and neither does that 2013 2500

Oh never mind.......facts are not what you or others want to read :S

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
A97ace wrote:
What separates my 06 DRW 1 ton from a 2014 DRW 1 ton? I know both motors are more than capable of pulling the weight. My main concern is suspension and not having enough brakes to stop the load.

New ones have a much higher tow rating. I do think yours will be fine, but the 5.9 will be working pretty hard. The 6.7 is a completely different animal when towing.
2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Wally, please elaborate.

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
What separates my 06 DRW 1 ton from a 2014 DRW 1 ton? I know both motors are more than capable of pulling the weight. My main concern is suspension and not having enough brakes to stop the load.

nomoreosama
Explorer
Explorer
:h

And here we go!!!!!

Wally