cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Questions for a new fifth wheel

walthallm
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting to upgrade to a larger fifth wheel and have some questions. I have a new 2014 f-250 super duty diesel. Looking at a Columbus 320 with a dry weight of 10,604 lbs and a hitch weight of 2015 lbs. Also looking at a Cardinal 3030 with a dry weight of 11,374 lbs and a hitch weight of 2550 lbs. Will I have any towing concerns with either of these units or any other problems with either one of these. Right now we tow a 30 ft Flagstaff at about 8,500 lbs.
32 REPLIES 32

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I just have to "weigh" in on this one. The weights given for 5th wheels, especially pin weight, is not relative to the real world of a loaded trailer. After having pickup campers for 30 years we decided to get a 5er for our "old age" and in 2009 bought a 32ft Jayco Eagle that, after weighing the loaded unit, was used very little that year as we were grossly over the GVWR of the truck. In 2010 we traded it in on a 28 ft. Cougar that was rated at 7220 lbs. with a 1380 pin weight. When we weighed that fully loaded for a two week vacation it was 8720# for the truck and 6460# on the trailer axles for a total weight of 15180#, of which 7060# was on the rear truck axle. When you start adding in the hitch, fuel, propane, water, clothes, food, people, dog, folding chairs, BBQ etc. you need to allow for at least another 2000#, a large portion of which will be on the truck rear axle.

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, same GVWR, since the 350's curb weight is a little more than the 250 (extra spring, maybe slightly heavier tire, etc.), the payload is slightly less. That table rounds to the nearest 100 lbs; the real difference is probably 50-75 lbs.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
clydengail wrote:
Am I reading the Ford 2014 towing guide wrong? It looks like SRW F350 towing capacity is less than F250. ??

In the Ford brochure, it also appears that the 250 has a slight payload advantage, when both 250/350 have the 10,000 GVWR.

Jerry

clydengail
Explorer
Explorer
Am I reading the Ford 2014 towing guide wrong? It looks like SRW F350 towing capacity is less than F250. ??
TV - 2007.5 GMC Duramax 4x4 Ext Cab
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
walt

I could yank stuff like that around with my 2012 F250 gasser.

Dave

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW - I have a Columbus 295RL. The dry weight is 10,600# with pin wt of 1,950. We are a little under 12k# loaded. Our 2500 CTD does great and is well under rear axle weight rating. I don't know about your trucks carrying capacity. The capacity label in the trucks door jamb is about 2,800 lbs. Good luck with your decision.

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
A fully loaded Columbus 320RS is not anywhere near an 18,000 lb gvw DRV...it has a gvw of 14,000.

The OP will be fine with that truck and 5W. A dually makes sense for a huge pin weight, but a SRW tows this 5W fine. I know from experience...
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Bags are not a correct replacement for cargo capacity, or even leaf springs. They bypass the suspension in reality, and when used on an overloaded rig, it makes the ride terrible and almost out of control on road heaves. Been there, done that, replaced the truck. Have bags on my replacement truck, but they are just to get a level ride, nothing more.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Not what I said at all. What I am saying is the OP with his truck and trailer combo would be wise to upgrade with bags (or an extra leaf if he prefers) and check his tire load rating compared to f350 and upgrade if needed. His brakes, frame, everything else is the same as the f350. BTW I'm sure the Hdt guys don't consider you one of the big boys.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paul Clancy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Air bags and enjoy.

That will fix anything!

Pretty much. When you know the real differences between 250 and 350 srw trucks it seems somewhat unreasonable at his trailer weight to spend 10 thousand plus to dump a new truck or trailer. As others have said he can make it work.

I fully am aware of the differences. Some minimal and some a lot. There is a point a person should step up and buy the proper TV if thew buy that big shiny new RV. THEY KNOW WHO THER ARE.

Yelling doesn't make you right. By "some a lot "are you referring to the one leaf spring or tire load rating because that's it. That's all. Period. Both easily upgraded without "stepping up" to a huge $$$ loss for the op.

So are you saying my 98 12V Cummins/RAM 2500 that actually had a suspension closer to a i ton I could have added air bags and 19.5's and been fine to tow my 36' 18K DRV? It already had upgraded rear disk brakes and tranny and engine had plenty of power.

I am one who knew when to upgrade to safely play with the big boys.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul Clancy wrote:

Yelling doesn't make you right. By "some a lot "are you referring to the one leaf spring or tire load rating because that's it. That's all. Period. Both easily upgraded without "stepping up" to a huge $$$ loss for the op.

I agree, when talking diesel units, those are the 2 real technical differences. And between those 2, higher rated tires/wheels is the biggest safety improvement. There are other option and trim differences depending on brand, model year and trim level, but anything available on a 1 ton that defines a tow vehicle is also available on a 3/4 ton.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Air bags and enjoy.

That will fix anything!

Pretty much. When you know the real differences between 250 and 350 srw trucks it seems somewhat unreasonable at his trailer weight to spend 10 thousand plus to dump a new truck or trailer. As others have said he can make it work.

I fully am aware of the differences. Some minimal and some a lot. There is a point a person should step up and buy the proper TV if thew buy that big shiny new RV. THEY KNOW WHO THER ARE.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paul Clancy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Air bags and enjoy.

That will fix anything!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Air bags and enjoy.

That will fix anything!