cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with full fresh water tank?

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
So am trying to plan a trip up to Fairbanks Alaska, going from Port Coquitlam BC up to Dawson City, then top of the world Hwy.
My question is how many run with full water tank, I normally only keep a bit in just in case, but I am thinking on those roads in the Yukon and Alaska it will shake the tank out of it if full.
As when I fill right up the tank expands and the bottom rests on a cross-member, which I would imagine will rub a hole in it, not to mention possibly break the supports and fall to the road, so I think maybe keep it almost empty until arriving then fill up in the nearest town before heading into the rough stuff.
As this will be our first time dry camping because of where we will be.
Thanks
Bill
51 REPLIES 51

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the feedback, will see about adding more support as it has support across both edges side to side, and one across middle that does not touch tank until tank is filled and tank bottom bulges.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Just remember that jugs in the bed will add weight to your TV rear axle, pretty much on a 1:1 basis. Could be important if you are already near the RAWR.

Our FW tank is behind the axles, so water there reduces weight on the TV. I don't really feel any difference in handling, but it would show up on the scale. It would have to.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Another reason to tow with a full tank, or =tanks=, would be if traveling into known strong cross-winds, if you simply don't have the option to wait them out. Just sayin'...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
partsman01 wrote:
I think I will carry water in my water jugs as suggested, as I will be carrying extra gas in two 20 litre containers, so no reason not to carry water in the box, and I have a spare shur flo pump I have rigged up with alligator clips so I can hook to the battery if I need to pump water into fifth wheel.
Thanks
I would use the tank as designed. Fill it and roll if you need water at the destination. If you have concerns then get it fixed or adjusted. When you have a fresh water holding tank and carry the water in separate jugs seems like an unnecessary burden to me.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe most would agree it's a matter of personal preference whether or not to travel with a full freshwater tank. You can easily make a valid argument either way.

However, the OP qualified his question about whether or not to fill his freshwater tank by stating he had doubts about the integrity of the mounting hardware holding his freshwater tank. I think common sense says he should limit the amount of freshwater in this tank until such time he's able to reinforce his freshwater tank hardware to his own satisfaction.

The OP concurred with this common sense approach . . . about an hour after he started this thread . . . 2 days ago :h

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:

Same here. I leave water in the tank in case we have The Big One again and our utilities are down (or in case my wife ever kicks me out). Water in the tanks and fuel in the genny means that my close neighbors who aren't exactly thrilled when I bring my rig home to pack will actually have someplace to relieve themselves and maybe even shower if and when we have another major disaster.

I also consider the RV as our emergency supply. Or earthquake kit. Whatever you want to call it. I suspect many of us in CA think that way.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

dedmiston
Same here. I leave water in the tank in case we have The Big One again and our utilities are down (or in case my wife ever kicks me out). Water in the tanks and fuel in the genny means that my close neighbors who aren't exactly thrilled when I bring my rig home to pack will actually have someplace to relieve themselves and maybe even shower if and when we have another major disaster.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I prefer to store my tank full also. Then I just roll. Not a big deal.

I have no obsession to have it full or empty if there is a known water source at the destination. But at the same time I see no reason to dump water to travel light.

Reno to AZ, TX or NY would not be a big deal.

That is my sense of it common or not.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
We did the route you will use with about a full tank and we had no problems. We carried a full or almost full tank of water the whole Alaska trip because we never knew when we would stop and spend the night or maybe two along the side of the road.

That road is not the best but you don't have to drive like you are in a race so you can take care of your rig by driving slow and careful.

Enjoy
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Not everyone has a 60g tank. I think if you look most of the rv'ers traveling with full tanks have the 50-60g tanks. I boondock twice a year and put 80-90g in the water tank before leaving. That's plenty for a 3-4 day trip. Otherwise I carry abt 15 gal, just in case. I'm not hauling around 110g of water, just in case. That's 924 lbs in front of the trailer axles on an already nose heavy toy hauler.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I frequently tow 100% full at 50 gallons. What would be the issue?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We travel all over the USA and I never have more than 4 gallons in the tank. Sorry but been doing this for 25 years so kinda got a clue. As for Alaska I be darned if I am going to rebuild my trailer to go there. If you need to do that hop on a plane and just rent a car.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We always tow with a full fresh water tank. We are full timers and we have had a bunch of instances where the campground water is not available for one reason or another and we always have water. Lots of opportunities to dry camp up north.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I run with full tank quite a bit of the time here in the states. Up there I think I'd get some 5gal water jugs from Walmart and fill them up and strap them in the back of the truck along with maybe about 1/3 of tank of water in the RV. Use the water from tank and try to refill when you can and keep jugged water for backup.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP