Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with lifted truck; need assistance

emilyjane918
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!
I’m super new to gvwr, pin weight, axles, etc. and have no clue how to calculate a safe towing weight that I can haul. I have a 2015 4x4 6.7l turbo diesel ram 2500 truck that’s lifted (I think 6 inches) and not sure how big the tires are. Attached the side door jam stickers info below. I’m okay with doing a travel trailer (preferably a toy hauler style) using a drop hitch to balance out the lift, would also like a fifth wheel toy hauler if possible (I doubt though due to the lift). All this math is difficult for me to do and I just want to make sure my truck won’t get damaged or my family is at risk by being overloaded or towing improperly. Could I get a gvwr rv range (not dry weight) that would be best for my truck? Looking to live out of it and not financially able to purchase a dually unfortunately. The weight of my family & belongings (car seats, bags, etc) is around 600 on the high side

Combined weight of cargo and occupants never exceed 2155 lbs. Front & Rear tires 295. GAWR front 6000, GAWR rear 6500. GVWR 10,000.
49 REPLIES 49

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
lower the truck and all is good.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Let me ask a question: how many are in your family (that would go camping)
And two how far are you thinking about going?

Not to tell somebody how to run their life, but I have other questions.
Do you need a lifted truck? Almost all my life I have had automotive toys. But if at any time I had a family, and could only have 1 vehicle I would want something more practical.
When single, a garage full of motorcycles was normal

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me ask a question: how many are in your family (that would go camping)
And two how far are you thinking about going?

Personally I suspect that you could only safely tow a very light trailer. A popup or Trailmanor/HiLo

As for hitches:
Amazon WDH

But again call one of the manufacturers to get expert advice. I might avoid Camco who has no reputation in the WDH field. Blue OX is very heavy I believe which might compound your problems.

ETrailer is another phone option, they specialize in trailer equipment.

I think any of them will see flashing red lights screaming LIABILITY ALERT!!! when you call
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
emilyjane918 wrote:
Thanks for all your help!
I’m glad I’m doing the research to make sure I’m making my family and other drivers safe. I didn’t know what kind of hitch so I’m glad to hear I need a weight distribution hitch - any particular ones that are best?
I’m totally fine with doing a smaller travel trailer. Would you all recommend 10,000 gvwr max for the weight of the trailer?
Unfortunately just bought this truck and didn’t even think about towing when purchased so it’s definitely a lesson I’ve learned. I’m not looking to trade in for a dually or pay to lower the lift/smaller tires at the moment, therefore I understand a smaller trailer is what I’ll have to settle for. Just need to know what gvwr weight for the trailer I should not go over

I'm not sure what everyone is talking about, I see lifted trucks pulling trailers all the time. Your payload is the key ingredient in understanding what you can tow, however, with the modifications to your truck you have reduced that limit. I'm sure a 5th wheel is out but I do see lifted trucks with 5th wheels, not sure about the 6" lift. Make sure you are looking at trailers with a tongue weight well below your maximum rating. The 10,000lbs is meaningless, because you run out of payload on tongue weight before you reach the max tow weight. You might not be able to find a toy hauler that meets that weight restriction. I know you wouldn't with a 5th wheel, but not sure about a small bumper pull. When you get it, makes sure you have the right hitch, then go easy until you get use to the handling of the truck trailer combo. Happy Camping.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We met a guy in Tennessee who was towing with a lifted truck, looked like 6-8 inch lift. We noticed it because he had converted his trailer to a 5th wheel, a well done conversion with lots of reinforcing. He said it was necessary because he said it simply wouldn't tow safely as a bumper pull. He said it consistently scared the heck out of him. His buddy was a certified welder and they fabbed up a very good looking conversion to his trailer.

I certainly don't see many lifted trucks towing trailers.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
by your last reply ,you have not learned a darn thing. let us know what roads you,ll be on ,so we can take a another route.

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
ProjectMon wrote:
For all the reasons posted, you have reduced your towing capacity and stability. I would call the folks at Propride and see what they suggest you can tow with one of their hitches. Their hitch will give you back the stability you have lost with your modifications at the cost of $ and some inconvenience when hitching.

Not sure how any hitch could return any stability. You might sell the idea that it does not allow the trailer to further reduce stability but even that idea would have to go cheap.

Quite right. The Propride or Arrow will not return stability to an already degraded towing platform, but since they reduce the issues introduced by the trailer, they require less stability from the towing platform and get you back to about the same place.
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

emilyjane918
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your help!
I’m glad I’m doing the research to make sure I’m making my family and other drivers safe. I didn’t know what kind of hitch so I’m glad to hear I need a weight distribution hitch - any particular ones that are best?
I’m totally fine with doing a smaller travel trailer. Would you all recommend 10,000 gvwr max for the weight of the trailer?
Unfortunately just bought this truck and didn’t even think about towing when purchased so it’s definitely a lesson I’ve learned. I’m not looking to trade in for a dually or pay to lower the lift/smaller tires at the moment, therefore I understand a smaller trailer is what I’ll have to settle for. Just need to know what gvwr weight for the trailer I should not go over

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ProjectMon wrote:
For all the reasons posted, you have reduced your towing capacity and stability. I would call the folks at Propride and see what they suggest you can tow with one of their hitches. Their hitch will give you back the stability you have lost with your modifications at the cost of $ and some inconvenience when hitching.

Not sure how any hitch could return any stability. You might sell the idea that it does not allow the trailer to further reduce stability but even that idea would have to go cheap.

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are serious about towing, get rid of the lift and the larger tires. Go back to stock for a stable towing platform. The single most misunderstood term with a 3/4 ton truck is the limited GVWR and rear axle GAWR. SUre it can to w a lot, but the thing that will get yo is the limited cargo capacity and tongue weight.

The cargo weight on any truck is the total of the passengers, cargo and tongue or pin weight.

Lifting the truck may look cool, but it does decrease towing capacity and stability.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If going strictly by the numbers, you have even less payload with the mods done to the truck.. Those bigger tires weigh more than the OEM ones. The lift kit has added additional weight as well.. If I had to guess, I'd say you are probably around the #1900 payload now. (with the #10,000 GVWR you subtract the actual weight of the truck as it sits right now to come up with a new payload #)

My F150 has a #1900 payload rating! But, your 2500 Ram is still a much more HD truck than mine, so you can get away with going over payload if you wish... But, that's up to you to decide by how much.. 🙂

You'll have to settle for a TT for the reasons given above, but it's still not gonna be a 'hitch it up and go' kinda deal.. You'll really need to adjust your driving and learn how the combo reacts with each other and go from there..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone's guess regarding the quality of the lift kit, installation and how it impacts the factory numbers. But it most likely affects them in a negative manner.

In addition to needing to get the 5er an extra 6" higher, with a 2100lb payload, you are probably only good for around 6000-7500lb GVWR 5er (assuming 20-25% pin weight and 600lb in the truck) if you want to stay within the original factor ratings (which may no longer apply).

Even a travel trailer may be marginal with unknown modifications. Assuming a family of 4, firewood, cooler, generator etc...in the truck bed, even a 8000lb bumper pull may be pushing the payload limits.

Having driven (but not towed) a few lifted trucks with big tires, no way would I want a lifted truck for towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good on you for trying to do things right.
Now you posted your axle ratings. BUT there is now way in the world that I, or anybody else reading can guess the strength of parts used on the lift. This makes the factory number mean snot.
Now, I'm likely to upset you and many others. Fact is when you lift a vehicle you raise the Center of Gravity. This makes the vehicle easier to overturn. (IMHO, car seats in a lifted truck is worse than any of the 7 word you could not say on broadcast TV) But the rollover is just the worse case. It will also change the handling/control of the truck. Ad a trailer, especially a heavy trailer, and no way I would let my family ride. And prefer not to share the highway.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum!

A fifth wheel trailer is not going to work, with a 6" lifted truck, due to not enough clearance between trailer and truck bed rails.

You should be able to handle a fair sized travel trailer type toy hauler. How big, using a lifted truck, kind of depends on your towing ability, and comfort zone concerning family safety.

A forum friend on here towed a rather large TT toy hauler with a nearly same truck and lift as yours, just a 2016 Ram 2500. He did not use a WDH, with IIRC, about 1,400 lb hitch weight. He is an experienced tower, with an abundance of confidence!

Normally lifted trucks, don't make the best tow vehicles, but can be done.

Jerry