cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy hauler newbie

motoxgirl419
Explorer
Explorer
My family of 3 plus my dogs,are looking at a 2010 Heartland Cyclone Toy hauler. It's in great condition but missing the generator. They want an extra $5,000 for a brand new one plus installation. Does that seem about right? We have looked at other toy haulers locally and online and we keep going back to this one. Just wanting some opinions.
12 REPLIES 12

motoxgirl419
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice

shagan77
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 40' Cyclone with the built in 5500. It was a $5000 option. Yes, it's a little expensive, but you're not pulling a pop--up ultra-lite, we use ours all the time, on the road, boon docking, storage, etc. I wouldn't be without one. You'll love it. Simple, easy, quiet and plenty of power. Maintenance is a breeze, you change the oil, run it at least once a month for and hour or so, etc. you won't be sorry.
2015 Sierra Denali 3500 Duramax\Dually
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Limited (DW's)
Usually a keg of beer....

srgt30
Explorer
Explorer
$3600 online at rvpartsnation. I would definitely negotiate with dealer.
2011 3500 dually
Cyclone 3800

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
For what you're using the rig for you want the built in generator. I assume the trailer has a fuel station doesn't it? If so the gas tank is already in place and I would imagine the fuel line is run up to where the gennie goes. If no fuel tank then that could be why the high quote. I have the 5500 Onan in my trailer and it is very nice, quiet too.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...that's awesome your daughter is racing. (Negotiated with dealership) The internet is a wonderful thing now that you know what you want ask the dealership in writing or and email their out the door price then once you have this take the information and email all of your surrounding dealerships. Are you paying cash or using their financing? If you own a home you may want to think about an equity line of credit you can write it off. If you Not laughing at you own offer it's too high!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

motoxgirl419
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter races Motocross so when we are at the race track we will need to use the generator. We have a 5500 portable one, but they are so loud and is a nuisance. Plus it will take up room. I just wanted to see what everyone thought before we negotiated with dealership. I don't want to get screwed in the deal just cuz we are new to owning a toyhauler. We have always had an enclosed trailer before. But we are also wanting to start camping more and we would use electric hook up then.

cwill925
Explorer
Explorer
Consider how often you need a generator in the toyhauler or for other uses. If you boondock much of the time, without hook-ups, a generator in the RV would be handy.
If most of your travel is to RV parks, you may want a portable unit that’s not mounted in the RV.

I may not get a generator in my next toyhauler. Our destinations are RV parks with full hook-ups. We’ve only used the generator once when dry camping on our farm. The Onan that is installed is more of a maintenance hassle than it’s worth, to me. I’ve needed a generator for other uses away from the RV. A portable set-up may be my next purchase.
Chuck Williams
2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
BMW K1600 GTL, Honda Rebel or a Smart Car in the Toyhauler.

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the various options. If your RV is wired for 50 amp you may want to look at the 5500.

Onan Generators
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

motoxgirl419
Explorer
Explorer
The sales guy did tell us that it is already wired for one.

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
My purchase invoice shows the Onan 4000 Microquiet costing $3300. I would also think that your toy hauler is prewired for a genset, so there would not be much to install.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

motoxgirl419
Explorer
Explorer
I thought so too.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds high to me. I'd talk to these folks first. http://www.wisesales.com/eg4000clat-honda-generator.html
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL