cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy Hauler VS Travel Trailer

Phanes
Explorer
Explorer
So my wife and I are looking into getting into seasonal camping to get the kids off the electronics and outside more during the summer. We are big into ATVs, we have trails that connect to our land, so we started looking initially at Toy Haulers. If we get one we are probably going to go with an ATC 28 foot with bedroom.

Anywho since we are looking at seasonal campsites with hookups I started thinking maybe a travel trailer would be better because it focuses 100% on living and not living + toy hauling.

My wife however still likes the Toy Hauler because when we are not at the site the ATVs can be parked inside out of the elements.

I did look at some Airstreams today and our budget is up to 80k but for the one I looked at that was 82k which includes setting up my truck I felt a bit underwhelmed by it. I realize an airstream will last almost forever vs say a Forest River and probably most of that price is how durable they are built.

I was hoping you guys could give me the upside and downside of Toy Hauler vs Travel Trailer and some suggestions on what a good Travel Trailer is with our budget being 80k.

We are not really interested in park or destination trailers. The main reason being if we want to try a different seasonal spot it will be easier to move the trailer.

We need to sleep 5 and would prefer trailers with dedicated beds as we don't want to have to take apart the dining room for the kids to sleep every night. With the ATC we just plan on using the tip out bed option and tossing down nice air mattresses in the cargo area.

My truck is a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 and tow/haul package. It is rated to pull 10100 and is pre wired for brakes.

Thanks in advance.
29 REPLIES 29

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Please go read the other post in this forum about 1/2 ton towable toyhaulers.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Phanes wrote:
We are going to look at three campsites on Saturday. They all allow non permanent structures. I do kind of like the idea of just finding a used enclosed trailer on CL or something and using that as a shed.
You can also remove the wheels on the cargo trailer to make it easier to load/unload as well as harder to steal.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
For 80 k you can get a monster toy hauler and have someone else tow it for you if you want to store the atvs inside. I think in the end giving up living space for a garage would not be worth it on a smaller toy hauler. The secondary trailer idea is a good one also.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
The enclosed does work well as storage. Plus you can use it for moving other stuff if you ever need it.

Phanes
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to look at three campsites on Saturday. They all allow non permanent structures. I do kind of like the idea of just finding a used enclosed trailer on CL or something and using that as a shed.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the seasonal allow a shed? At my seasonal I have a large TT and could keep a UTV in the shed. I pay for inside storage of the pontoon boat.

A TH would work but one large enough might need to be delivered. I used my TH for several years before buying a large TT.

Phanes
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
How old are your kids? Like, are they younger and not yet teenagers?

I feel like you don't really need a Toy Hauler at all, but I also feel like an Airstream could get real cramped when you have bigger kids plus you and your wife. For 80k you could get a pretty nice bunkhouse travel trailer that would have more room for growing kids.

That being said, we don't take our RZR on our camping trips all the time, but we like having the garage space for our 3 dogs and their beds, and to just hold stuff like coolers or whatever, that way it's not taking up living space inside the rest of the trailer.

We have a 7 year old, 20 month old, and one due in Feb. If all goes well we plan on this being our summer thing for probably the next 15 years.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
You have a pretty good budget. With what you want to do personally I would buy an enclosed trailer and buy a nice big holiday trailer with lots of room and comfort for everyone. Keep the toys in the enclosed trailer when not out there and use it to hold everything.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
How old are your kids? Like, are they younger and not yet teenagers?

I feel like you don't really need a Toy Hauler at all, but I also feel like an Airstream could get real cramped when you have bigger kids plus you and your wife. For 80k you could get a pretty nice bunkhouse travel trailer that would have more room for growing kids.

That being said, we don't take our RZR on our camping trips all the time, but we like having the garage space for our 3 dogs and their beds, and to just hold stuff like coolers or whatever, that way it's not taking up living space inside the rest of the trailer.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno man. Airstream will last forever, but seems like not nearly as spacious as others. I looked at Aluminum Trailer Company rugs before I settled on WnP. They look very nice and weights are good for a 1/2T.

Phanes
Explorer
Explorer
I am only going to haul the TH to whatever seasonal sight we use dry. I will take the ATVs up on my 12 foot sure trac in a separate trip. Whichever way we go the trailer will be parked all season. The only time I will ever haul it is when or if we move to a different seasonal sight and I plan on doing that dry with just me in the truck. The seasonal sights allow you to store over the winter if you pay for the next season at the end of the season.

We are only looking at the TH so we can have someplace to park the ATVs while we are not at the site so they will be inside out of the elements. I don't have any visions of hauling it someplace every weekend. I did that with my sure trac and it was a bit of a hassle.

We just want to roll up hop on and ride type of thing. Coos county has ride the wilds over 1k in connected trails it is pretty awesome we did 6 trips there over the summer but hauling the ATVs back and forth is a bit of a hassle. That is why we are looking at seasonal campsites.

ATC is Aluminum Toy Hauler we are looking at the 28 footer with the front bedroom. I am not affiliated with ATC in anyway this is just what we decided to go with if we get a TH. Unless you guys steer me in another direction.

Rbertalotto thanks for the insight. I never even thought about wet kids and changing. Since the ATC is 100% aluminum they can change in the garage area without any worry of damaging wood or carpeting.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
A Tundra would work okay with an Airstream but a toy hauler may be a bit much, especially if you fill the typically much larger tanks.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
IMO a Tundra & a TH do not match! Hitch weight, GVW for the truck & GCVWR will really restrict what you can tow! Do yourself a favor & do the math...

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to do some math on that Toyota with a 28' trailer. Be sure tongue weight and passengers / luggage / fuel / stuff in bed doesn't overload the truck. Once that TH is fully loaded, with 15-20 of the trailer weight on the tongue, you are about 1500 to 2000 pounds on the hitch. I would bet dollars to donuts that once you are fully loaded and ready to go you are way over the weight limits of a Toyota. What the literature says it can tow and what it can actually tow are two different things

Other than that, THs are great. Lots of room for kids when toys are not inside. Great for changing out of wet cloths in garage area. With a screen kit, the ramp can be a nice screened in room for even extra space.

I love our TH. Works perfect for us.

Airstreams are nice but you lose lots of interior storage with the aerodynamic shape. Airstreams are more about a lifestyle and bragging rights that real world practicality.

And for what they cost, you darn well better love it as you are going to have it a long time to beat the depreciation.

You could buy two or three Forest Rivers for what a well equiped AS would cost.

Have fun!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
What is a ATC?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000