cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer behind a TH?

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
In CA is it legal to toy a trailer behind a bumper pull toy hauler? If so what are the limitations?
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!
31 REPLIES 31

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Winged One wrote:
timmac wrote:
sin cal sd wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
I have a email saved from CHP that says i am legal towing two bumper pulls. Need Class A with doubles/triples endorsement and cannot exceed 65ft. I am not going to try and decipher Ca code which is why i asked CHP.

Thats odd. Ive asked multiple CHP officers from a few different districts and not 1 said it is legal because of the way the codes are written. I even asked our neighbor who is a city cop and he claims there isnt a VC thats says its illegal.

Nevadnick is right, you cannot pull double trailers in Cali without commercial licenses, you can do it in Nevada as long as your under 65 foot and under 26,001 lbs gross weight.

You can in California if you are from out of State and you are legal in your own State. Just to clarify.

No that's not true, just cause your state says its OK is not OK in another state, if so than all people from Colorado can bring their weed to other states..

However the post above did show this >>
In summary, nonresidents may tow two trailers with a non-commercial license IF their base state allows it. IF the vehicle is commercial, the driver would also need a valid medical certificate per 12502 CVC.

But note it says the if vehicle is commercial and RV's are not..

To claify, my statement is true regarding towing in California. If I am from Michigan, and I have a "Recreation Double" endorsement from Michigan; it is legal to do the same in California, following CA's restrictions on size.

Your State may vary.

And nobody was confused that I was talking about weed. I was talking about towing doubles.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Winged One wrote:
timmac wrote:
sin cal sd wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
I have a email saved from CHP that says i am legal towing two bumper pulls. Need Class A with doubles/triples endorsement and cannot exceed 65ft. I am not going to try and decipher Ca code which is why i asked CHP.

Thats odd. Ive asked multiple CHP officers from a few different districts and not 1 said it is legal because of the way the codes are written. I even asked our neighbor who is a city cop and he claims there isnt a VC thats says its illegal.

Nevadnick is right, you cannot pull double trailers in Cali without commercial licenses, you can do it in Nevada as long as your under 65 foot and under 26,001 lbs gross weight.

You can in California if you are from out of State and you are legal in your own State. Just to clarify.

No that's not true, just cause your state says its OK is not OK in another state, if so than all people from Colorado can bring their weed to other states..

In summary, nonresidents may tow two trailers with a non-commercial license IF their base state allows it. IF the vehicle is commercial, the driver would also need a valid medical certificate per 12502 CVC.

You need a reading comprehension class... It says "IF the vehicle is commercial, the driver would also need a valid medical certificate per 12502 CVC."

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:
timmac wrote:
sin cal sd wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Link

VEHICLE COMBINATIONS - BASIC LAW
35401. (a) No vehicle combinations may exceed a total length of 65 feet. (See diagram: "California Legal Trucks")

(b) (1) A combination of vehicles which consists of a truck tractor, a semitrailer, and a semitrailer or trailer, may not exceed 75 feet, if neither the semitrailers nor the trailer in the combination of vehicles exceeds 28 feet 6 inches. (See diagram: "California Legal Doubles")

NUMBER OF VEHICLES IN COMBINATION
21715. (a) No passenger vehicle, or any other motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds, shall tow more than one vehicle, except for a tow dolly. (b) No motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen shall tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more gross.

465. A "passenger vehicle" is any motor vehicle, other than a motortruck, truck tractor, or a bus, as defined in Section 233, and used or maintained for the transportation of persons. The term "passenger vehicle" shall include a housecar.

362. A "house car" is a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. ...

410. A "motor truck" or "motortruck" is a motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property. (A pick up truck meets this definition.)

DRIVER LICENSING for DOUBLE TRAILERS - CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS

12804.9. (b) ..., any applicant for a driver's license shall be required to submit to an examination appropriate to the type of motor vehicle or combination of vehicles the applicant desires a license to drive:
(1) Class A includes the following:
(A) Any combination of vehicles, if any vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
(B) Any vehicle towing more than one vehicle.
(C) ...

15278. (a) A driver is required to obtain an endorsement issued by the department to operate any commercial motor vehicle that is any of the following: (1) A double trailer. (2) ...

To apply for a commercial driver license, see this DMV web site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/commercial.htm.

DRIVER LICENSING for DOUBLE TRAILERS - NONRESIDENTS

12502. (a) The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a driver's license under this code: (1) A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, ....

(b) Any person entitled to the exemption contained in subdivision (a), while operating, within this state, a commercial vehicle, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 15210, shall have in his or her possession a current medical certificate of a type described in subdivision (c) of Section 12804.9, which has been issued within two years of the date of operation of that vehicle.

15210. (b) (1) "Commercial motor vehicle" means any vehicle or combination of vehicles which requires a class A or class B license, or a class C license with an endorsement issued pursuant to paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 15278.

For a valid medical certificate, see this DMV web site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#dl51medical.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
sin cal sd wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
TinMac, we are 70 ft here. Used to be 75 with endorsement.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal sd wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Eyetattoo wrote:
In CA is it legal to toy a trailer behind a bumper pull toy hauler? If so what are the limitations?

Yes its illegal in Cali to do that, I know I check there laws, its also illegal to do that in a lot of states and if its OK in some states you also have to be under 65 to 75 foot depending what state..

So I spent $4500 and had a custom stacker trailer made to pull behind my motorhome and now I can go anywhere, even Canada.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I recieved my answer from a sargent at the valley division of commercial enforcement. I am satified with his answer to my question to tow double bumper pulls in Ca.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal sd, you need to read and UNDERSTAND the law, before you try and preach it. You have provided more confusion than the CA handbook ever thought about. The mods should remove your post so others are not led down the primrose path with your false info.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
DennisVR wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Eyetattoo wrote:
For those that have gotten the endorsement here is CA, what was the process? Is it just a written test?

The whole procedure is outlined in this info put out by the state.....

California RV handbook

Now I'm confused, I know it doesn't take much to get me this way, but on page 3 it says that no passenger vehicle can tow more then one trailer. This is under the class B and C section, there's nothing said under the class A section. Does anyone know were it states that a passenger vehicle can tow more then one trailer?
I was stopped once and I had my Commercial class A with doubles & triples endorsement and the only thing the LEO said was that I was over lenth on the single vehicle because my 5th wheel trailer was over 28'.
He let me go with a warning.

Your p/u is considered a commercial vehicle. Even .5 tons in California. Im not sure about other states. The class A laws have a lot to do with 26,001 and greater weight ratings and the commerce you do with that vehicle. It is legal in Ca to tow doubles with a p/u.

The verbage in the VC is what makes thing confusing to most folks. Thats why when towing doubles in Ca it states semi or trailer. A 5th wheel trailer would be considered a semi. Not a trailer, unless it is the only "trailer". When towing doubles it is the semi and the rear trailer is the "trailer". Everything gets reclassified when you change the setup.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Before anything else is said. One thing everyone must remember THIS IS A COMMERCIAL LAW. It has nothing to do with towing rv/boat, rv/ jeep or any other combination. I really need to save this text because I have repeated it so many times.

So here we go-
1. Get CDL with proper endorsement and medical clearance. That has been established.
2. The first vessel is (trailer) is a semi trailer. Meaning a trailer with no front axle. Rver's know them as 5the wheels.
3. The rear vessel is the trailer. A vehicle with a front axle. Usually at the very front, like you see commercial vehicles going down the road pulling true doubles.
4. You may be longer than 65' as long as both trailer do not exceed 28.5' in lenght.
5. Rear trailer vessel must have brakes if the gvwr exceed I beleive 1500lbs. (I may be wrong on the weight.)
6. Make sure your tow vehicle has a GCVWR that can legally tow the setup you intend to tow. You will be held to a higher standard than a regualar Rver going down the road.
7. Obviously heaviest trailer in front.

These are just some of the ones I can think off the top of my head. A lot of folks seem to think towing an Rv setup with doubles somehow excludes them from Commercial laws. Again this has nothing to do with what you are towing.

Just FYI, In California one of the only way to tow bumper to bumper is Ag. When a farmer or worker is moving from one ranch to another. There are a few other instances but it pertains to short distances.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups