cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer sway milestone 377mb

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Model. Pulling with 2021 Ram 2500 Diesel. Have 3000 miles plus with no issues.

Now at speeds as low as 30 mph can hit a bump and side to side rocking translates into trailer sway. Worse going uphill. Had a trip this weekend and put two new tires on the rear axle. My tire shop only had two.

Is this axles out of alignment?? Shocks on the truck? ( 30k miles on truck).

I pulled the tires off and bearings are good. Measured and axles are same distance between tires. Did not measure to the pin.

Tread is still good on front axle. And was good on the two that were replaced. Wear is even. Could not detect that they were out of round when jacked up and spun the wheels.

Any help is welcome. Have years experience of towing trailers. The sway is dangerous. Not a slight annoyance. Thanks.
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
29 REPLIES 29

blt2ski
fowlthing wrote:
put two new tires on the rear axle of the trailer. thanks for your thoughts

Assuming the first 3000 Mike's were with the Ram, you changed out rear tires of trailer, then things starting handling different.....start here! For all the same reasons I gave fire truck.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is the trailer level, nose high, or nose low?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
put two new tires on the rear axle of the trailer. thanks for your thoughts
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

blt2ski
You put two new tires on rear axle?!? If truck or trailer? I would start with those new tires.
If on the truck, are they softer sidewalks than older tires, different tread patter, brand front vs rear, are rear tires inflated correctly. Some tire don't track well until they have 300-500 Mile's, ie broken in.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Whenever I hear someone complaining about a towing problem with a BIG 5er with a 3/4 ton, I immediately think OVERLOAD. You're so close (over?) the limits that the difference full tanks can make over empty tanks is enough to make it sway.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
fowlthing wrote:
2020 Model. Pulling with 2021 Ram 2500 Diesel. Have 3000 miles plus with no issues.

Without checking specs, that sounds like WAY too much trailer for that truck! I see you used to have an F350? Did the issue just start after changing trucks?
Oops….I see you have another thread on the topic here:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30358297.cfm

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to a scale first, and then start checking wether the problem is the truck or trailer.
The roads these days are pretty bad and a 42' trailer can cause problems if not loaded right.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know it's a grape/grapefruit but I feel I should tell the story, and the OP can take a look if he wants.
A driver tore the power divider out on a friend's International. Friend was out of town, called me to repair. While I had the differential out, I saw some cracks in frame crossmember that ran under the 5th wheel plate. Waiting on parts, and tools handy, I welded up the cracks. Few days later the driver was on Children's Band with another driver talking about how much better the truck was driving.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to 5th Wheel forum from Towing
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherman wrote:
Possibly a broken spring on the trailer.

That's my vote, or spring perch. I'd investigate everything in the running gear including running each wheel up a ramp to see how the suspension and equalizer reacts.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly a broken spring on the trailer.

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure but have not changed any weight and have over 3000 miles before this came up
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I’ve pulled a lot of poorly loaded trailers that had actual sway.
But never sway below below 45-50mph. Idk how it’s swaying so slow. Maybe with negative tongue weight?
IMO to go from fine one day to can’t pull over 30mph, whatever changed should be obvious?
Can’t think of any reason it would change.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fully loaded what is the trailer weight and what is the tongue weight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Y-Guy
Moving to the Towing forum from Tech Issues.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon