cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck/Trailer Capabilities/safety - Newb here....

marksz71
Explorer
Explorer
When I say newb...very new. In fact, we don't have a trailer...yet. We're about two years out from getting the trailer, and as we look around to determine what we want...the trailer gets bigger. We want a toy hauler, and I would prefer a 14-16, which of course reduces the living space which is what my wife wants. Regardless, what we want/will get will end up being a triple axel 45 foot trailer. If I recall...they come in around 16K - 18K pounds and 20K-22K GVW. Here is the problem...I have a 2013 Denali 2500 HD with Duramax. I assumed when I bought it, it would be fine to tow whatever we bought...now concerned that may not be the case. Obviously I'm not concerned about power, it's the weight. I have zero desire to own a dually...sorry; I just can't see driving a dually around when I'm not towing a big trailer. My first concern in safety for the family while driving of course. so here goes...can I safely tow that large of trailer with a 2500? I have been looking at airbag systems...would this make it safe and much more likely? Can I upgrade to a 3500 single and add air bags? Would wider tires help with the footprint enough to make a difference? Am I stuck with a dually only for this application? Can the experts provide some mentoring? Thanks! Mark
14 REPLIES 14

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
marksz71 wrote:
I would however, consider an airbag system...one to improve comfort/ride, but also safety, towing and handling. Anyone have experience with those?

An airbag system will NOT increase any of your ratings, and it will not increase the safety of what you are trying to do.

A lot of folks come in here and ask the same question. They really want some validation that what they are trying to do is safe. It's not. Plenty of folks tell them the same thing. Folks don't want to hear it, but it's true.

You don't plan for your best day, you plan for your worst.

http://www.momentumgunner.com/towing_notes.html

I drive my DRW through a very narrow security gate (I end up with about 6 inches per side when I drive through) 10 times a week. It's fine.

Get into the mindset of taxiing a 747 and you won't have any issues. It's not really THAT bad, but you do have to think longer and wider.

When we got our truck, we got the biggest we could get with the highest towing and weight-carrying capacity. That way, no matter what trailer we went with, we were good. With my daughter in her car seat in the back and my wife in the passenger seat, I feel very comfortable towing our rig with our setup.

Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

marksz71
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much to everyone. I'm not afraid to drive a dually daily, but can't say I really want to, nor did I ever see myself driving a dually. However, as I suspected and you have all identified...my primary concern is safety for my family while towing, of which is inherently dangerous and adds extra risks while on the road. I'm very comfortable driving large vehicles as I grew up on a farm, and I am comfortable pulling a trailer, albiet; I've never pulled anything like this before...so driving through cities/towns is a bit intimidating. The truck will be new when it comes time...I suspect like my last two and to match my wifes again...it'll be a Denali HD 3500...dually. Obviously beautiful truck, and comfortable. I would however, consider an airbag system...one to improve comfort/ride, but also safety, towing and handling. Anyone have experience with those? I've seen good fedback, and for roughly $2K...I can get a high quality front and rear system with pump, tank, and remote controls. Thoughts? The trailer we're looking at right now is the Fuzion 420...anyone have one? I wish the garage was a bit bigger, but something has to give and we like everything else...compromise you know. 🙂 The wife is buying the camper...I'm buying the truck. 🙂 AGain...thanks folks...you've all be very nice and very helpful. Have a great day. Mark

dedmiston wrote:
Hey Mark - I tow a toy hauler in the range that you're looking at. I wouldn't dream of towing it with less truck. This trailer is huge. The last thing I would want is to have to sweat the safety of an overloaded truck while pulling it.

Get the dually. I wondered how I would feel driving a dually as my daily driver. It's fine. Parking isn't an issue, especially in the newer models with the backup cameras. I stick it between the lines EVERY SINGLE TIME. And I get out and check after I park and if I missed my space I'll get back in and fix it. There's a Facebook group in my town where they post pictures of people who park like morons. It's my pledge to never see my picture on there.

It's easier to drive and park than I would have thought. And more importantly, towing is very comfortable. Don't chance it though. You dealer might not even let you off the lot if your truck is overweight. Even my sales guy made a point of asking me what I drove before he closed the deal.

Good luck. Come say Hello in the Toy Hauler forum.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Safety is critical when towing an RV Trailer. This training video discusses the importance of understanding a Truck's ratings and how these ratings limit the size of the trailer that can be safely towed. You will be provided the tools and basic understanding needed to assist your endeavor to properly match a truck and trailer, so that you can enjoy RVing safely.

Matching Your Truck to your RV
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

dedmiston
Hey Mark - I tow a toy hauler in the range that you're looking at. I wouldn't dream of towing it with less truck. This trailer is huge. The last thing I would want is to have to sweat the safety of an overloaded truck while pulling it.

Get the dually. I wondered how I would feel driving a dually as my daily driver. It's fine. Parking isn't an issue, especially in the newer models with the backup cameras. I stick it between the lines EVERY SINGLE TIME. And I get out and check after I park and if I missed my space I'll get back in and fix it. There's a Facebook group in my town where they post pictures of people who park like morons. It's my pledge to never see my picture on there.

It's easier to drive and park than I would have thought. And more importantly, towing is very comfortable. Don't chance it though. You dealer might not even let you off the lot if your truck is overweight. Even my sales guy made a point of asking me what I drove before he closed the deal.

Good luck. Come say Hello in the Toy Hauler forum.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Dually truck and only the very newest are rated to tow and handle the pin weigh of that much trailer.

You might be better served to look at motorhomes and tow a small car.

A few of the states will require an upgraded license of you are over 26,000# combined weight.

Ken

A few states require a special licence for towing a trailer over 10,000 gvw.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dually truck and only the very newest are rated to tow and handle the pin weigh of that much trailer.

You might be better served to look at motorhomes and tow a small car.

A few of the states will require an upgraded license of you are over 26,000# combined weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP...If you wouldn't feel comfortable driving a DRW truck, when not towing, you surely won't be comfortable towing a 20,000+ lb 45' FW, that will also be 13+' tall!

Your current truck would likely work, to handle the trailer you should be considering. This is JMHO, and it seems you'll have a while to figure out what you really want/need.

Jerry

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
A glance at the Trailer Life towing guide for 2013 shows that SUV has a max towing capacity of 7900 pounds: Link

You need a newer one ton pickup with dual rear wheels to even think about hauling a 45 ft TT. I say newer since the trucks starting around 2011 have seen a major increase in towing and payload capacities.

He has the Denali Truck not SUV, so that makes a big difference. 🙂

However, I totally agree that not even that would be enough for one of the larger Toy Haulers he is describing. Definitely in dually territory.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
marksz71 wrote:
When I say newb...very new. In fact, we don't have a trailer...yet. We're about two years out from getting the trailer, and as we look around to determine what we want...the trailer gets bigger. We want a toy hauler, and I would prefer a 14-16, which of course reduces the living space which is what my wife wants. Regardless, what we want/will get will end up being a triple axel 45 foot trailer. If I recall...they come in around 16K - 18K pounds and 20K-22K GVW. Here is the problem...I have a 2013 Denali 2500 HD with Duramax. I assumed when I bought it, it would be fine to tow whatever we bought...now concerned that may not be the case. Obviously I'm not concerned about power, it's the weight. I have zero desire to own a dually...sorry; I just can't see driving a dually around when I'm not towing a big trailer. My first concern in safety for the family while driving of course. so here goes...can I safely tow that large of trailer with a 2500? I have been looking at airbag systems...would this make it safe and much more likely? Can I upgrade to a 3500 single and add air bags? Would wider tires help with the footprint enough to make a difference? Am I stuck with a dually only for this application? Can the experts provide some mentoring? Thanks! Mark

IMO, you're firmly in dually territory. Even a SRW 350/3500 would be =real= marginal; again, IMO. Also, THs tend to be much more pin heavy when empty since there has to be =something= to counter-balance the pin when the toys are loaded. I've seen some d@mn saggy trucks pulling a TH and come to find out that the TH is =empty=, then see the same rig with a side x side, or a couple quads, in it, and it rides near-level. Need a smaller TH or a larger truck...IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
22,000 GVWR 5th wheel with a SRW truck? Ummm...no.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't want to drive a dually...
What to keep/use current 2013 2500/////

Then stop kidding yourself.

Your truck is a capable tow platform but you don't have the payload capacity, the GVWR, the RAWR for those trailers.

Realistic that 2500 SRW is good for 13K--14K GVWR 5th wheel trailer.
Figure 20% of 5vrs GVWR for wet pin and stay under 3000# MAX (which is the maximum pin wet your truck can 'carry')

Real world........not mfg. magical marketing numbers.

What is payload (max cargo carrying capacity) listed on YELLOW Tire Data sticker on YOUR DENALI drivers door jamb
Less then 3000#

What is YOUR DENALI GVWR.........9500#

What is the MAX Load Rating of YOUR DENALI rear tires?

Payload, RAWR/Rear Tire Load Rating & GVWR....those are your limitations with your truck (any truck)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JMelton
Explorer
Explorer
Well, like you I have not purchased my trailer yet. The wife and I picked favorites but I still didn't grasp all of the rating equations as well as I thought I did. Here is a great link that someone posted that helped me strike through some of my wishlist.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/matching-trucks-to-trailers
2007 Ford F-250 4WD Lariat 6.0
Timbren SES / Rancho RS9000XL

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing you do to your current vehicle will increase the carrying capacity by one pound. The axle capacity along with the tires max load have set the payload capacity of that vehicle. A glance at the Trailer Life towing guide for 2013 shows that SUV has a max towing capacity of 7900 pounds: Link

Look at the sticker on the driver's side door post for the actual numbers for that SUV.

You need a newer one ton pickup with dual rear wheels to even think about hauling a 45 ft TT. I say newer since the trucks starting around 2011 have seen a major increase in towing and payload capacities.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow? Sure, no problem. Safely tow? I wouldnt, but I an not you. Been there, done that with much less. It is no fun arriving after a day of fighting to keep the load coralled. Really honestly you need to decide on what you need, then decide on a truck sufficiently large to comfortably handle the intended load. Anything else, you will simply be fooling yourself.
Others will argue, but I feel anything over about 14K loaded should have a dually.