cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide which way to go on fifth wheel hitch

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to switch to a fifth wheel from a bumper pull. I have a 2015 F-250 with short bed. The trailer we are looking at is equipped with a turning point pin box. I’ve seen and read some things on the internet that make me question the stability of system when towing and the blocking mechanism to keep the pin from turning in the hitch. I know my other option is to put in a sliding hitch and I’d be most comfortable with an automatic slider but that drives the price up substantially. My truck was previously outfitted with a rail system of some sort but everything is gone but the holes are in the bed. I’ve priced out the factory ford prep kit but it looks like puck style hitches are more expensive although I have the means to put it in myself as I’m a mechanic at a ford dealer. If anyone could give me they’re advice on what you like/use it would be greatly appreciated.
28 REPLIES 28

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for rails. I don't haul dirt and rocks, but I do haul stuff. Last week I hauled a new boiler for a house I own. The rails matched with straps that fit the slots give a rock solid anchor system, not like those dinky little anchors in the bed sheet metal.

I have a very tight driveway where I park the 5er. I don't need a slider since the nose is notched, I do use a slider. Why? Because it moves the pivot back past the rear axle. Gets the old 5er swinging a little faster like a bumper pull.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Someone will always claim they have invented a better mouse trap and people will buy it. 😉

My currently old 2012 F250 has rails in the bed which are topped of with a Reese 15K Classic

That set up gets me there safe and sound every time. And I have no use for a slider.

So after getting advice from all the "experts", it would be interesting if you post back on what you went with and why.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my current truck I was trying to decide what to do for a hitch. At the end of the day I went back to the rails as I didn't have the puck option on my truck plus I really liked my Patriot hitch. I am in the camp of it doesn't bother me in the least having rails in my truck in fact for how I use it it's actually quite handy. It make a great stop for my various toolboxes that often ride back there and keeps them from sliding forward. As far as shoveling stuff or trying slide heavy objects in that is a non issue as I have various trailers that work better for that anyway.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We've only had two hitches so far and both have been Pullrite hitches. I'd certainly look at this brand for any hitch application. We have been VERY happy with Pullrite.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Bama_Drifter
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Demco 18k slider with the Ram prep rail. Works great but extremely heavy.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some possibly useful information. Since the previous owner took the rails, look underneath the bed and ensure the mounting brackets are still there. Fifth wheel hitches don't mount to the bed, they mount to the frame through the bed. If the brackets aren't there, you get to start from scratch. Your choice.

If you plan on using your turning point hitch as designed; don't consider the Andersen hitches or the PullRite ball type hitches. They won't work.

If you plan on using your Turning Point hitch as designed; Don't use a B&W Companion turnover ball mounted hitch. The manufactured says not to. As a matter, I wouldn't use any single point attachment hitch with the Turning Point pin box system unless it was locked out.

If you do have the brackets beneath, I would order some industry standard rails in a heartbeat and do the simple installation. The finest fifth wheel hitches made are designed to fit in the rails and perform exceedingly well. They aren't obsolete technology, just the opposite.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Rails suck. They are obsolete technology. Do they work (and work well)? Of course they do! But there’s exactly ZERO reason for anyone to go back in time in favor of obsolete technology. Plus, there’s exactly ZERO guarantee that a newly purchased rail system will match the existing holes from an old rail system. How do I know? Been there, done that.

Here’s an article warning of the same issue:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-135802.html

I’d much rather put that brand new 4” hole in the middle of my bed and get the best hitch combo option available vs. trying to maybe re-use some old holes that might not work and is regressive technology.

I’ve used an AUH aluminum and had no trouble with it. The friend I sold it to also has no trouble with it and he uses it for more than just RV towing. There’s nothing wrong with that product or the idea of a single point attachment.

Well if you have a truck w/o the puck set up, then rails may be the best way to go. Sorry my friend, but I disagree w/ your assessment. My last truck and current truck didn't have the puck set up and I already had a rail mount B&W Patriot and not about to go buy another hitch as the B&W was bought in '17. Had no problems attaching the B&W to rails for either truck BTW. I personally do not have an issue w/ the rails in the track 24/7. Does it block complete clean out? Yes. Does it not allow for a complete flat floor? Yes. Do I worry about it? No. Can I still use the bed of truck? Yes. Do I have to remove the hitch to do so? Yes. Do I care? No. As it was said before, some 5ers are not so well suited to be a gooseneck set up. It really comes down to personal choice. Are rails obsolete? No. But for some folks getting into yanking a 5er around for 1st time, they maybe the cheapest way to start off with.

In your case, you already had the rail mount hitch. That’s the most expensive part of the entire arrangement. So that makes sense to stick with the rails. In the case of the OP, he has neither the rails or the hitch. He’s starting from scratch. Having 8 each 1/2” holes already in the bed means almost nothing unless you have the rail kit that it was drilled for.

I completely agree that the rails are the cheapest way to get started. But now we’re back to the idea of saving dollar bills while you’re spending hundred dollar bills. You get your $40K-$80K truck, connected to what is probably at least a $30K or greater 5er, yet we get stuck on saving maybe a couple hundred dollars to use a hitch system which industry manufacturers are clearly trying to get away from. Doesn’t make sense.

If rails don’t bother you, then so be it. I don’t like them. So be it. Yet I make the same point...why use rails when there are much better options available these days??
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Rails suck. They are obsolete technology. Do they work (and work well)? Of course they do! But there’s exactly ZERO reason for anyone to go back in time in favor of obsolete technology. Plus, there’s exactly ZERO guarantee that a newly purchased rail system will match the existing holes from an old rail system. How do I know? Been there, done that.

I’d much rather put that brand new 4” hole in the middle of my bed and get the best hitch combo option available vs. trying to maybe re-use some old holes that might not work and is regressive technology.

I’ve used an AUH aluminum and had no trouble with it. The friend I sold it to also has no trouble with it and he uses it for more than just RV towing. There’s nothing wrong with that product or the idea of a single point attachment.

Well if you have a truck w/o the puck set up, then rails may be the best way to go. Sorry my friend, but I disagree w/ your assessment. My last truck and current truck didn't have the puck set up and I already had a rail mount B&W Patriot and not about to go buy another hitch as the B&W was bought in '17. Had no problems attaching the B&W to rails for either truck BTW. I personally do not have an issue w/ the rails in the track 24/7. Does it block complete clean out? Yes. Does it not allow for a complete flat floor? Yes. Do I worry about it? No. Can I still use the bed of truck? Yes. Do I have to remove the hitch to do so? Yes. Do I care? No. As it was said before, some 5ers are not so well suited to be a gooseneck set up. It really comes down to personal choice. Are rails obsolete? No. But for some folks getting into yanking a 5er around for 1st time, they maybe the cheapest way to start off with.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RooDude09 wrote:
I read the wedge can loosen up. I see someone has said you have to have the correct wedge so maybe that was the problem. The other problem of the pivot point being behind the axle causing sway was in an advertisement for a slider hitch so not sure what to believe on that. Haven’t had a chance to talk to any real people yet about it I definitely want the extra clearance all the time so that if I need to make a tight turn) I don’t forget to look if the trailer is going to hit the truck.

I never pay attention to what one person or a another brand hitch makers says about another product or how it will pull.

There are several top of the line rv type 5th wheel hitches on the market like the PullRite....heavier Reese hitches....same with the Kurt hitch which is a favorite with those that tow for a living.....B&W is another good hitch for rv work....Demco hitch systems....and of course the new gen hitch like the Andersen and PullRites Superlite system . One hitch isn't superior over all others.

As one poster says most newer 5th wheel trailers made for short bed trucks and have the rounded/notched front corners that eliminates the need for a sliding hitch or pin box systems like the one your looking at.

This is a area where the owners has to do the leg work. In other words there is no generic answer for which hitch is best or works best.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of the Andersen aluminum, which is probably what your neighbor had ,I'm guessing . But thats not the subject here, its the steel rail mount Andersen.

As far rocks , had to be ,that or sand or dirt. My previous truck had the bedrails, and don't remember hauling rocks, but I did haul some mulch ,and top soil. no big deal ,but I did cover the bed with a heavy tarp . It was not earth ending dealing with the bedrails .

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
MFL wrote:

Well said 2014... and adding the turnover ball a waste, unless actually needed for a different goose neck trailer.

Jerry

I sat thinking my last post over for quite a while, and actually deleted what I am about to say.

As a former truck driver, if I bought a vehicle with an Anderson hitch, I wouldn't use it any farther than to get me home. No different than any sliding bar hitch.

Not sure what being a former truck driver ,and the Andersen hitch has to do with anything, but truck driver or not, how many miles you put on a Andersen hitch :h . I have put a few thousand now on a rail mount steel Andersen ,so I have been a bit further then just getting home 🙂

Well, zero miles, but a neighbor just bought a pickup with one on it, and they just don't look "right" to me. It is my personal opinion, and nothing else. The point about being a former trucker, the B&W works and acts like a hitch on a semi, so there is a comfort level there. Again, my opinion.

As to your point about shoveling rocks out of the bed, how did you know? That is exactly what got me cussing it out! LOL!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Replace/install new rails, get a standard hitch to meet your capacity and keep what's on the trailer. If you are so tight on a turn, go opposite direction slowly to straighten up and try turn again. Had a slider hitch for over 10 years. Used it once. Got new hitch w/o slider for short bed truck, no probs. Just go slow-n-easy.

Well said, and IMO the best way to go for the OP .

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Replace/install new rails, get a standard hitch to meet your capacity and keep what's on the trailer. If you are so tight on a turn, go opposite direction slowly to straighten up and try turn again. Had a slider hitch for over 10 years. Used it once. Got new hitch w/o slider for short bed truck, no probs. Just go slow-n-easy.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"