cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tv antenna

99x
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to update the tv antenna on the camper,it has a Jensen omni direct antenna and does not work very well,had better reception with our old camper and bat wing antenna. Looking for input. Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
N7,

Winfield RV Products makes a device called a Win-Handle that can operate the Winguard controls even on the 8 foot ceiling of my Titanium. Also will do vent lids.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have the short Jack on my TT. My buddy was parked right next to me and has an Omni on his new AF. I could get 7 channels when he could only get two (both were Spanish network channels). :B

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both the Sensor IV (current Batwing) and jack on the same 5er camped in the same general areas. I give a heads up to the Sensor IV, but not by much. The antenna on my rig was an old batwing and doing the research I decided to upgrade to the Jack and removed the entire old one in place of a Jack. It was an improvement from the old one but since it is mounted in the bedroom area and stivks up a good 8" or so, I didn't really like the looks of it. That changed when I missed a branch going into a State Park in which I found out how easily the Jack snaps off. That's when I changed to the Sensor IV.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had a Winegard batwing without the wingman addon and had fair reception on my current mh. I swapped it out for a Jack and was able to receive more channels. I recently replaced it with a Winegard Rayzap Air and receive even more channels. All tests were in my driveway, results in the woods may vary.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have played with BATWING, JACK, OMNI Hide-a-antenna, BOW TIE Panels, and LOWES BEST VHF/UHF long YAGI.

The LOWES multi-dipole YAGI $80 did the best.

This antenna pulled in some real good signals and by adjusting the positions of the fold-out dipole it worked great with distance and more local station. Was a sight to see however extending 6-feet or more off both sides of my POPUP roof and when I rotated it I was always hitting trees on both sides. Folks lined up however to watch me play with my big antenna...

After about a year of using this antenna I finally totally destroyed it by having to fold-it-out at every stop and the aluminum dipoles finally broke beyond repair.

As shown in the easy-up mount above you can see how I rotated my antenna by just reaching out the window flap of the POPUP and turning away.

The OMNI Hide-A-Antenna as it is called does work but suffers big time on reception. This is basically two DIPOLE in opposite directions and doesn't work well with distant stations. It also suffers big time of losing the digital signals from the HDTV station when aircraft fly over head. This is my BACK-UP antenna as it disappears into the tube and is great for storing when in travel mode.

I then picked up the BATWING and the JACK and mounted them on my easy up pole mount. They both worked great but the BATWING had a wider beam-width allowing me to pick up more HDTV station that were in the same direction but located on the different sides of the town. Washington DC is some 50 miles from us here in Northern Neck VA and they have their transmitting antennas on the NW and E sides of town. We would have to move the JACK antenna to pick all of these stations up. The BATWING would get both groups with one pointing location in this case. The BATWING is the antenna I use today. Easy to transport in my case and I mount everything up and start watching TV in only a few minutes after arriving at the camp sites.

I would say the KING JACK antenna has more gain but you really have to point this antenna towards the transmitting station to get best results.

ADDED NOTE: SCFJEFF reports down the thread here I am wrong with my assumption that the JACK Antenna has 'LESS BEAM WIDTH' then the BATWING. I was just reporting what I found in my very simple pointing antenna tests I did here. That may have been a wrong assumption on my part. All I know is the BATWING outperformed the JACK antenna in my case looking at several HDTV Transmitter stations situated on both sides of Washington DC some 50 miles away... Sorry if I mislead anyone here...

The JACK antenna will mount on the BATWING hardware and crank-up and rotate just fine using the BATWING controls. It also can be mounted just above the roof and only rotate. Like said above being close to the roof makes the JACK suffer from performance somewhat and even things like the roof mounted air conditioner always seems to get in the way when you are trying to pick up a TV station in that direction. Being up as high as you can get worked great for us but I didn't like the very narrow BEAM WIDTH I was getting with it in my setup.

I also experimented with the BOW-TIE PANEL antenna. This is a panel about 3-feet by 2-feet and has 8-BOW TIE dipoles on it. This is a great antenna and is more suited for the home installation. You can mount this on a single pole so can be used on the RV as well...
This is probably the best of all antennas as it has great performance in picking up station up to 75 miles away. Also has great signal reduction to the rear of panel... I use mine here at the house and and the two array panels can be pointed in different directions and this really performs well pointing to the Washington DC digital station which are some 50 miles from here... This array panel was just on sale for $49 Extremesignal recently. I originally paid over $100 for my panel from a different company. I am a sucker for deal hehe...

My antenna story

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

hmar1
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard works the best it has built in amplifier that boost the tv signal

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I also have an omni on my FW. I left it intact, due to it being for the radio, as well as the tv.

I bought the replacement head Jack, that is supposed to replace the batwing head. I fasten this to a two piece aluminum pole, and use a couple of stretch cords to fasten it to my FW ladder.

I have it about 4' above my roof, using the supplied coax. It works great. I just fasten the coax to my outside cable hookup, right near the ladder.

Jerry

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Omni ?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The Jensen omni is crap, I also have one and hate, hate, hate it.

For me, the problem with the conventional "Bat-Wing", is the ceiling is too high for even me (6ft plus) to reach it.

Wingard makes (used to?) a motorized Batwing. That deploys and turns with a motor. I thought (hard) about that, but ended up moving on.

Testing done by people in this forum suggests to me that the Jack Omni would work (at best) marginally better then the Jensen.

Both suffer from the same problems, size and height. No antenna mounted low to the roof is going to work as well as an antenna with more height.
Also size matters, small antennas don't work as well as large antennas.

I ended up with an Omni sold by Radio Shack. This is much larger then the Jensen or Jack. But I mount it on a separate push-up pole on the rear of the trailer. Obviously not something I would do for an over-night stop.

There is a "old tech" Antenna that should work well, it's two crossed elements that fold up and go into a tube. This design has been around for years, but I believe it is still sold
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.