cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two fifth wheel towing scenarios...

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how the numbers and practicalities would work out in these two scenarios, pros and cons, MPG, etc....loaded weight of fifth wheel close to the same length + type of truck. I know that the MPG varies from engine to engine, but just average ball-park type figures....if that is possible.

1. 13K + 2009 F350
2. 18K + 2009 F450

Thanks for your input!
19 REPLIES 19

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
MPG is probably the biggest argument on this site. I agree with everything said so far, because the variables will kill any attempt at reasonable discussion. I can only speak for my equipment, and you yours. I do know that my scan gauge is not accurate for mpg compared with hand calculated, oh how I wish it was. My 7.3 got 10 mpg no matter how I drove it or any other factor pulling a 8600lb TT. 17 on the hwy unloaded. My current 7.4 got 8.5 give or take, but killed me when not towing that same TT. Now that we have the BA 5er, the 7.4 pulls the same but the mileage has dropped another 1 mpg. The 7.3 was an early one. so the 7.4 matches almost exactly with hp and torque. I love my current truck, but the non towing mileage is terrible, and will lead to a trade before long. BTW both the 7.3 and the 7.4 are 4dr 4wd crew cabs, although the Chevy is DRW.
Puma 30RKSS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Impulse24 wrote:
rhagfo, Oh great one do you think I drive an empty truck and trailer? You are slipping in you attempt to be sarcastic...

KD4UPL, I guarantee if you work out your MPG on every fill up there will be a difference in the results. There being only an average can be used to evaluate a trucks fuel economy and overall MPG. If you are claiming you never get less than 10 mpg, you are driving a 3/4 ton, the Duramax in a 1 ton and c400 Kodiac deliver no more than an averaged 9.8 mpg. Could it be your driving a 3/4 ton and mostr of the time your truck is bobtail?
As for a Diesel achieving you

Not at all, but 5er size and weight are a big factor in towing mileage. Speed is the the other big killer. A shorter lighter fiver will give better mpg than a tall heavier 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
janegowest wrote:
I wonder how the numbers and practicalities would work out in these two scenarios, pros and cons, MPG, etc....loaded weight of fifth wheel close to the same length + type of truck. I know that the MPG varies from engine to engine, but just average ball-park type figures....if that is possible.

1. 13K + 2009 F350
2. 18K + 2009 F450

Thanks for your input!

In reading about various tow vehicles, from 1/2 tons to HD's, mpg always seems to average out about 9-11 mph for diesels. I know that Mountain Master would build you a Freightliner Sport Chassis with a 450 hp Cat and 10-speed tranny that was advertised 11-12 mph at its rated 30k max payload. My '02 D'max pulls my 11.3k GVW low profile FW right around 10-11 mph at 65 mph, a bit better if I slow to 60. I've seen 14-15 mph with a tailwind and I've seen 7-8 with a headwind. As others have said, it will all depend on the specific FW, truck and your style of driving. 2 biggest factors are how fast you like to drive and the shape of your FW. I can almost guarantee you a 35' square front/back FW toyhauler will give you worse mileage than a comparable 35' standard FW with rounded front and rear caps, simply due to less turbulence.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Tow mileage is useless without weight and size of 5er!
I would like to know how heavy and big your coach is also getting 10MPG with a gasser, I see 12.5mpg towing 65 sitting at 21k combined
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Impulse24 wrote:
rhagfo, Oh great one do you think I drive an empty truck and trailer? You are slipping in you attempt to be sarcastic...

KD4UPL, I guarantee if you work out your MPG on every fill up there will be a difference in the results. There being only an average can be used to evaluate a trucks fuel economy and overall MPG. If you are claiming you never get less than 10 mpg, you are driving a 3/4 ton, the Duramax in a 1 ton and c400 Kodiac deliver no more than an averaged 9.8 mpg. Could it be your driving a 3/4 ton and mostr of the time your truck is bobtail?

It's a dually, crew cab, 4wd, with an aluminum flatbed and under and over bed mounted tool boxes. I do indeed hand calculate my mileage for every tank of fuel. I have since I bought the truck new.
The first tank home from the dealer (400) miles was 17 mpg.
After the work bed went on it weighs about 8,500 and I generally get between 15 and 16. If I put my Fleetwest slide in tool box in the bed I get about 12.5 at about 11,000 pounds. With my truck camper in the bed, grossing about 13,200, I get about 11 mpg. If I hitch up the boat with the camper on, grossing about 18,000 I get around 10.5. Pulling my equipment trailer and hauling steel, skid steer, mini-ex, etc. I gross around 24,000 to 25,000 and get 10 mpg.

Those are my numbers. I don't have a FW but I hope it gets the OP some idea of how widely loads, profile, and weight can drastically affect MPG.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Somewhere between 5 and 15.

Close - but I'll go with .....6 and 14

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
My F350 dually has 4:10 gears and best case is 8.5 mpg but I'm running 26,300 lbs combined gross weight. If the exhaust gas cleaning cycle comes on, I can drop to 7.5. The F450 is going to have even deeper gears (although I do like the front fender flares on the F450 back then).

The new ones do a little better. I just saw my next F450 King Ranch at the Dealer - cost more than my trailer :E Guess I'll live with a couple of mpg less.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone! What truck in the F450 range would give the best MPG?

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Towing speed is also a killer in your MPG. My son BORROWER my PU for 3 weeks this summer and only got about 14 to 15 MPG pulling his small pop up trailer. When I tow our fiver weight at 10,000# ,I usually get 12 to 14 MPG.
I tow at 55 to 60 MPH, he was towing at 70 to 75 MPH whenever possible. So speed alone is a big factor in performance.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Impulse24
Explorer
Explorer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you're concerned about fuel mileage I'd stay away from the Ford 6.4.
There are way to many variable to give a good answer to your questions.
I agree with donn, between 5 and 15.

Impulse, what in the world diesel are you comparing to? I have an '05 Duramax that hauls and tows over the ratings often. I've never gotten less than 10 mpg. Most of the time it's around 15. I couldn't get 9 MPG if I tried.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
The 6.4 is not noted for fuel efficiency. The 350 would have 3.73 diff and the 450 would be 4.30. I'm pulling 15,000 with TV in sig and would be happy if I averaged 9 mpg. I do feel there is a difference in fuel quality which also affects mpg besides the wind smoothness of the road and terrain.
There is also the problem with fuel availability as the 6.4 is only cleared for 5% bio and in some areas the fuel stations all have up to 20% bio stickers on their pumps.
I would love to trade my 09 6.4 for the newer 6.7 just to avoid problems with bio-fuel.
I have had 10 mpg on occasion flat ground good road and 55 mph, hasn't happened too often.

your dually has the 4.11 gears, right? my 08 4x2 did. best I saw towing was 9mpg. I have since upgraded to a 2012 dually ford 6.7, with 3.73 gears and get 10mpg towing my 15k fw. and between 15 and 17 empty on the highway.

I would guess the OP would get 8-9mpg in either scenario.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Impulse24 wrote:
I have a 1996 GMC K3500 SLE with a 7.4 (454) and a 4.10 rear end.
Prior to buying a 5th wheel, We spent hours researching for the best tow vehicle and best fuel economy available. As usual I was told Oh buy Diesel, It will give you the power for climbing. That is true but overall if you have a Diesel it costs you more in Fuel purchase and repairs. I have also read the Myth Busters report that Wings and other type of deflectors don't work.
We'll I beg to differ about Diesel is better and air deflectors don't work. I average 10.2 mpg using 87 octane gas and a Wing adjusted to push the air over the trailer. Prior to using the wing I averaged 8.5 mpg my average speed is 55. So I prefer the 454 and the wing over diesel especially as most diesel users don't even get 9 mpg on a good day. Oh and as for pulling power, I can climb like the best without problems.
Now if you want to run down the freeway at 75 your fuel range will drop drastically. One of the reasons the old 55 mph was incorporated was to save fuel, It worked then and it works now.
But overall if you reduce your speed you'll increase your range.

Also note the price difference between Gas and Diesel, and compare and price. Gas is on average 60 cents cheaper than Diesel, However I have seen Diesel as much as 92 cents a gallon more than Gas. Of which there is no justification, Diesel is cheaper to produce than Gas and the only reason it is costlier is profiteering.

signed the Double Nickel

Tow mileage is useless without weight and size of 5er!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Impulse24
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 GMC K3500 SLE with a 7.4 (454) and a 4.10 rear end.
Prior to buying a 5th wheel, We spent hours researching for the best tow vehicle and best fuel economy available. As usual I was told Oh buy Diesel, It will give you the power for climbing. That is true but overall if you have a Diesel it costs you more in Fuel purchase and repairs. I have also read the Myth Busters report that Wings and other type of deflectors don't work.
We'll I beg to differ about Diesel is better and air deflectors don't work. I average 10.2 mpg using 87 octane gas and a Wing adjusted to push the air over the trailer. Prior to using the wing I averaged 8.5 mpg my average speed is 55. So I prefer the 454 and the wing over diesel especially as most diesel users don't even get 9 mpg on a good day. Oh and as for pulling power, I can climb like the best without problems.
Now if you want to run down the freeway at 75 your fuel range will drop drastically. One of the reasons the old 55 mph was incorporated was to save fuel, It worked then and it works now.
But overall if you reduce your speed you'll increase your range.

Also note the price difference between Gas and Diesel, and compare and price. Gas is on average 60 cents cheaper than Diesel, However I have seen Diesel as much as 92 cents a gallon more than Gas. Of which there is no justification, Diesel is cheaper to produce than Gas and the only reason it is costlier is profiteering.

signed the Double Nickel