cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ultra-Fab Trailair v. MOR/ryde 5th Wheel King Pin Box

7_3diesel
Explorer
Explorer
So I really wanted a Reese Airborne Sidewinder king pin box, but I recently discovered that it wouldn't fit my king pin box ๐Ÿ˜ž
I've got the Fabex 730 & my service technician & Reese have both confirmed that the Airborne will not go on my 5th wheel.

Now I'm looking at the Ultra-Fab Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel King Pin
& the
Cushioned MOR/ryde Fifth Wheel King Pin

Does anyone have any direct experience with either or both of these devices? Any stories, advice, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance ๐Ÿ™‚
7 REPLIES 7

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going the TrailAir route, definitely get it with the TriGlide option. I've got a bit more than 21k miles on mine and I won't own another 5er without it. You can buy a lot of different combinations of things to get the same benefits of this single device. The TrailAir portion reduces, virtually eliminates, the up and down bouncing, while the TriGlide all but eliminates the fore and aft (chucking) motion. Even on the worst roads, chucking is reduced to a minor pull or push, much like the pull and push from a semi passing when towing a bumper pull. Best money I've spent. Another advantage that they don't advertise, is that the box is about 6" longer t Han the stock pin box...pushes the nose further from the cab. Short bed truck (standard 6' 6") and I can easily get 90 degrees and more if I ever needed to. I don't plan on ever getting myself into that position (spooky, what the suspension wraps itself into), but, in an emergency, I've got more clearance than before. TrailAir with TriGlide - the only equipment for me.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Mor/Ryde pin box on the previous two 5ers. It does stop the chucking. It does not stop the vertical impact on the trailer pin.

The air ride pin boxes lessen the vertical impact on the trailer and will help a bit with the chucking.

What I have that works now is a Trailer Saver TS3 air ride hitch and a Demco glide pin box.

Makes a much nicer ride for the truck and trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I have a MorRyde and it has made a big difference. Agree with those that say to get the tri-glide if going with a TrailAir.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Mor/Ryde kingpin. I also have a Hensley air hitch in the truck.

The Mor/Ryde kingpin is designed to reduce/eliminate chucking and it does that extremely well, IMHO. Basically, it encloses the Pin in a big rubber shock absorbing donut. Very simple. And I really like simple.

I am not sure that the Trailair you are looking at will do the same thing. It looks more like it will reduce the up and down jerkiness (technical term), which is what my Hensley air hitch does.

Between the Hensley air hitch and the Mor/Ryde king pin, I have an extremely smooth ride.

Tim

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I put a MorRyde on my 5'er to get rid of some chucking. It's better but not perfect. It's good enough that I wouldn't have a problem doing a 3-4000 mile trip. It really depends on the road surface. The worse the road the more the chucking. What the MR did was eliminate 2/3's of the bad road stuff. It still chucks a little on the worse stuff. I can live with that as that's only a small portion of my travels. Most roads are pretty good.

Like Winged One says if you're going the Trailair route then you may as well go all in.

It's our 1st 5'er so I really have no idea if what I'm experiencing is normal or not. I suppose there are those that have a perfectly smooth ride. I don't even get that empty. Basing it on my empty ride it's only a little worse than that once in awhile.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th came with a Trailair. Bad chucking (not saying it was the Trailair's fault). Now I have a Trailair TriGlide. Much better ride.

My point is, if you are going to get a Trailair, spend a few hundred dollars extra and get the TriGlide. You may not need it, but if you do, you won't have to change out again.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I always had standard pin box but now have the Trailair and notice a much smoother ride. I can watch the air bag on the pin box moving in my mirror and not feel the movement in the truck. Have not had a Morryde so can't help on the comparison. Won't go back to standard after experiencing the step up. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3