cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to disc brakes, have some questions.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Montana stops fair I guess. Have not had to do a panic stop yet and hope I don't because I do not have a warm and fuzzy that the 1960's brake technology will work as expected with a 16,000lb trailer. It does have the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust system so they should be adjusting themselves as needed. Anyway I have made the decision to change over to disc brakes since Keystone has not decided to offer this as a factory option yet. They did finally offer LT tires which I got and that's a step in the right direction!
So here is my questions. Who in your opinion makes the best? Dexter, Kodiak, Titan or any other brand. Best price? What will work with my 2014 Ram controller? Right now I am leaning toward Kodiak with a Hydrastar actuator. E trailer seems to have a fair price. I plan on doing the work myself so I think for under $2k I should be able to do it right. Thoughts and comments please.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
43 REPLIES 43

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ronald73072 wrote:
There are no performance differences in Titan or Kodiak in fact all the parts are interchangeable. Both use an off the shelf GM pad.

There is a huge difference in actuators.
1. Titan is faster .3 sec vs. 1.0-1.1 sec to activate for Carlisle & Dexter. Titan uses a 5 piston pump that generates 70 cu. in. per minute vs Carlisle & Dexter 3 piston pump generating 38-42 cu. in. per minute.

2. Titan uses a much larger reservoir resulting in much cooler operation. Carlisle in fact states in the operation manual to put the vehicle in park when extended stopping is necessary, like a railroad crossing. This is not necessary with Titan.

My first question is, "why no accumulator on the system to avoid =any= lag?"

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
banjo wrote:
This is the price I got from "Stop your trailer"
about a year ago.

Mounted the Pump, ran all the brake lines and wiring
while still using the trailer.

Swapping the hubs only took one day.

Trailer weighs 14020 pounds fully loaded. Disk brakes make
a tremendous difference.

(From "Stop your Trailer" )

The cost of the kit required to convert your trailer would be $1,538.17.
This price includes.

1- Titan BrakeRite Pump
2- Sets of Kodiak Disc Brake with 8 lug 9/16 studs and new bearings
1- Tandem flex line kit
1- Titan Adapter Module
Free Shipping

Thank you,

Bill Halasyn
(813) 363-4685

Bill is the guy I purchased my Titan system from. Great guy to deal with, even answered my calls on the weekend !

Very knowledgeable

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
My Titan disc brake system has NO delay, and I'd even go so far as to say it reacts faster than my electric drum brakes ever did.

I'm running all metal brake lines, maybe a difference?

Remember the magnet has to be drawn to the drum then has to be pulled along (rotated) until it generates enough force to the brake shoes all through a mechanical linkage.

If your disc brake system has a noticible delay there is a problem with the setup.

YZ, do you have a disc brake system on your trailer?

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, this topic is on another forum..

"With a hydraulic disc brake conversion kit the electric signal back to the trailer starts the hydraulic pump which spins up, generates hydraulic pressure, and applies it to the disc brakes. It is not instantaneous. Regardless of the advertising hype provided by the manufacturers of the kits, there is a delay.' This is scary stuff in a panic situation. Also gives you a false sense of security...

I have seen it written that "Larger Dexter 3 3/8" x 12 1/4" heavy duty electric trailer brakes worked extremely well and did not involve the delay that to me was unacceptable. The added bonus is the larger brakes are self-adjusting in a forward direction and never required adjustment."

My theory is drive a big enough truck for your rig so this isn't an issue for me..

What ever you do, good luck.. and do your research...

ronald73072
Explorer
Explorer
There are no performance differences in Titan or Kodiak in fact all the parts are interchangeable. Both use an off the shelf GM pad.

There is a huge difference in actuators.
1. Titan is faster .3 sec vs. 1.0-1.1 sec to activate for Carlisle & Dexter. Titan uses a 5 piston pump that generates 70 cu. in. per minute vs Carlisle & Dexter 3 piston pump generating 38-42 cu. in. per minute.

2. Titan uses a much larger reservoir resulting in much cooler operation. Carlisle in fact states in the operation manual to put the vehicle in park when extended stopping is necessary, like a railroad crossing. This is not necessary with Titan.

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
This is the price I got from "Stop your trailer"
about a year ago.

Mounted the Pump, ran all the brake lines and wiring
while still using the trailer.

Swapping the hubs only took one day.

Trailer weighs 14020 pounds fully loaded. Disk brakes make
a tremendous difference.

(From "Stop your Trailer" )

The cost of the kit required to convert your trailer would be $1,538.17.
This price includes.

1- Titan BrakeRite Pump
2- Sets of Kodiak Disc Brake with 8 lug 9/16 studs and new bearings
1- Tandem flex line kit
1- Titan Adapter Module
Free Shipping

Thank you,

Bill Halasyn
(813) 363-4685
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
Recently did my Montana, here is alink to that post

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28403236/gotomsg/28406164.cfm#28406164
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
I am a installer for titan brakes and can say they use heavier bearings in their package I can get you a deal you cannot beat anywhere else if you pm me I can get your info

Really , when I changed to disc , I was first sent Titans , but because of a caliper backing plate problem that Titan hadn't addressed at that time , and because I was sent Dexter oil caps that are the wrong pitch thread , you have to use Kodiak caps , I ended up complaining loud enough to be sent Kodiak kits , they use the exact same inner and outer bearings

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine has discs on his tri axle gooseneck you can't beat them I looked into them for a b-train 5'er project I was designing. The kits I looked at will beat electrics hands down.
1999 F550 truck conversion

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine two yrs ago and Kodiak discs/Carlisle actuator was the most popular choices. Titan didn't have their kit ready for market yet. I'd use Kodiak or Titan discs and probably the HBA 1600 psi actuator again cuz I like the small footprint of that actuator. Inner Bearing are the same 5200-8000 lb axles but the outer bearing gets bigger with each axle rating. Just be sure to get at least new seals and the outer bearings. I put together and built my own hard lines, mainly cuz I'm so fussy. I would check out all the vendors that sell the complete kits. I'm in Minn right now or I'd give the names of one that I know. I also like the oil covers that came with my Kodiaks. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Dad and I did the Kodiak system on his HH Premier and his 12 RAM controller worked great!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Kodiak on my trailer and am extremely satisfied. The replacement part's are easy to find and somewhat less expensive I am hearing.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a installer for titan brakes and can say they use heavier bearings in their package I can get you a deal you cannot beat anywhere else if you pm me I can get your info

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
I just swapped mine to disc brakes but as yet have not road tested it. I have Kodiak brakes, bearings, all the hoses & brake lines, a Titan Electric to Hydraulic Actuator & a Takonsha Prodigy P3 controller. I bought it all from e-trailer in Missouri and it was delivered, no charge for freight, for about $1600.00 total.