cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using Truck Stops

Rogue_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to rving and would like to know if I can use truck stops to refuel my diesel pickup with 5th wheel?
61 REPLIES 61

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I go to Flyingj. I prefer FlyingJ over the Pilot Stations. They used to be separate Companies. The FlyingJ Stations have a Fuel Lane just for RVs.
God Bless!

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
We use truck stops all the time when pulling our fiver. Truck drivers and truck stops are pretty nice folks. We have never had a problem with the fueling or truck drivers. Just fuel up pay and get on down the road. If one sits at the pump and takes up a lot of time then I could see how a truck driver could get frustrated with an RVer. Time is money to them and it beehoves them to get in and get out.

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
That's my experience too, Duck. I use the Pilot/FJ RV Plus card. My level gets me 6 cents a gallon off the cash price and the convenience of not having to go in and get pre-approved to pump. No problem with the nozzle on my Chevy 1 ton. I also like the long pole squeegees for windshield cleaning. I like chatting with the truckers. Never found a one of them that was rude. All of them are pros, most act accordingly, and many of them want to know about your rig and how it is to pull, etc. One of them told me he was going to buy the same model as mine after taking a look inside and out. And I didn't even extend the slides. He just peeked in and said he liked it.

With the 6 cent discount (off cash price), you would have to do a lot of driving around town to find a station that would beat the price. Why would you put up with that hassle when all you really want to do is get back on the road. Oh yeah, and the truck stops are generally no dirtier than the others. Except for the messy pumps. Diesel is nasty when you get it on you and the stink lasts forever it seems. I use a disposable glove on my right hand when fueling. Keep a supply of them in the center console. Works for me.

When I first started with my 5er, I was a little intimidated about truck stops. It only took a couple of fuel stops to figure it out and use them regularly now. Be courteous and friendly and you will have no problems. Happy RVing!
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
I also must say that I've always used the truck stops on all our out of town trips. Have never had a problem and use the Pilot/FJ card to activate the pump but have no problems running in to start the pump at TA and other truck stops that don't have the start card.

X2 I also enjoy talking to the truckers. Most are very friendly and enjoy talking.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I also must say that I've always used the truck stops on all our out of town trips. Have never had a problem and use the Pilot/FJ card to activate the pump but have no problems running in to start the pump at TA and other truck stops that don't have the start card.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
ralphnjoann wrote:
My biggest gripe about filling stations is trying to find the diesel pumps. Sometimes they're in the front, sometimes in the back; sometimes marked, sometimes not; sometimes on the outside lanes, sometimes not; sometimes at the end of the lanes, sometimes not. It's a real PITA!

I find the one or two diesel pumps at these places are the ones with the little gasser cars lined up and blocking access! End pumps where the drivers have no idea what the green hose is.

X2!
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
My biggest gripe about filling stations is trying to find the diesel pumps. Sometimes they're in the front, sometimes in the back; sometimes marked, sometimes not; sometimes on the outside lanes, sometimes not; sometimes at the end of the lanes, sometimes not. It's a real PITA!

X2
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:

I find the one or two diesel pumps at these places are the ones with the little gasser cars lined up and blocking access! End pumps where the drivers have no idea what the green hose is.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't get diesel on your hands in the first place.. use disposable gloves.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Good call bpounds, I keep a pair of nitrile coated gloves under my driver's seat and use them every time:
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I use Murphy/Walmart whenever possible. Usually close to the freeway if not on it. Their prices are less than a truck stop. Plus I got one of their Discover cards and get a 5 cent discount per gallon. Last Xmas they gave a 15 cent discount. Pay it off at the end of each month and go on. There are apps to find the closest WM.

Down side is some of their pumps are not set up for big rigs(RV or truck). They don't want the trucker business. But I have always managed to get in.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I use truck lanes or regular lanes about equally I guess. No real preference one way or the other. Just pull off on the cloverleaf and pick whichever station looks convenient. I'll choose the lower priced one if I happen to notice, but I'm not worrying about it. As someone mentioned, it's usually at most a couple of bucks difference between stations on a fillup. Not worth sweating over.

But wanted to add, diesel pumps are often pretty nasty, and you don't want that fuel on your hands and then the steering wheel. So I carry these under the seat of my truck. Got another container in the utility bay of the fiver near the dump valves. These are great at cutting diesel oil and leaving your hands smelling nice.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I use truck stops all the time and have never experienced any of the negative some folks mention on here. My truck takes the big nozzles and I like filling up faster. In, out and on down the road.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS