cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing mold and dirt off awnings?

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I rolled my awning out for the first time this year and it is filthy. What is the best way and soap to use? It looks like there are spots of mold, too.
15 REPLIES 15

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I unroll it, spray it down, spray it with tiles

sorry I meant Tilex

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I think he meant TileX or some sort of brand name tile cleaner.

I unrolled mine 2' at a time and scrubbed top and bottom with Dawn soap and water, rinsed and rolled back when dry.

I think I'll try the simple green route next time to see if that helps with the stubborn stains
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I unroll it, spray it down, spray it with tiles

What are/is tiles?

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
One trick I just used was to detach the legs from the trailer and slide them under the trailer so the awning hung flat against the side of the trailer for easier scrubbing of the top side.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I unroll it, spray it down, spray it with tiles and roll it back up for about 30 minutes. I never needed to scrub it. If some spots are still there then repeat the process. Its the simplest way to do it I think

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
When I do mine, I usually rinse it off 1st then use a dedicated brush on extendable pole, safety glasses and pour 2 qts of Tilex Mold & Mildew remover into a bucket and brush it onto both sides, underside 1st. Roll it up and let sit for about 30 minutes. Unroll and rinse off both sides and side of RV as well but the RV usually gets washed right after I do awning. Had old coach for 12 years and it's awning looked like brand new still, tho age was catching up to it and was due for replacement soon. Sold it before it got replaced.

In regards to using the Magic Erasers, I tried 1 once and thought it to be a PITA and when you have a long awning.........Plus how do you reach the top and middle portions of the awning(s)?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Good tips on cleaning, I know this sounds obvious but never store your awning when it's wet. If you have to pack up wet, be sure to unroll and dry when you get home. That of course is only good if you store inside.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
To my surprise I found that magic eraser works unreal to get rid of stains, Rinse well after use.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
Someone is a local camping group recommended this product http://www.homearmor.com/product/e-z-wash-hose-end. I tried it this past week and worked great. Spray on and let sit for a few minutes. use a soft brush for the tuff spots and rinse throughly. This removed stains that have been there for years. It worked for me.
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Bleach and dawn 1/4 cup of each ib 4gal warm water.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duke-44 wrote:
snipe wrote:
Here is what I use and it works every time....

Roll out awning, apply a mixture of 1/4 cup of dish soap and 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with 2 gallons of warm water,

Wouldn't that much bleach degrade the fabric of the awning?
Just asking?

Nope. Give it a good rinse.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
snipe wrote:

Roll out awning, apply a mixture of 1/4 cup of dish soap and 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with 2 gallons of warm water,

Wouldn't that much bleach degrade the fabric of the awning?
Just asking?

snipe
Explorer
Explorer

Roll out awning, apply a mixture of 1/4 cup of dish soap and 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with 2 gallons of warm water, soak the top of the awning with mixture and roll up for approx. 30 mins, then , roll out awning and rinse, scrub stubborn areas if needed. I do not use as much water as quoted sometimes to get a more concentrated mixture.
2012 Sabre 31RETS
2017 FORD F250 Lariat Diesel

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jet's plan sounds good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad