cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waxing 5th wheel

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to wash and wax our 5th wheel, looking for the best product to use that will not harm the graphics. Want to see what others have had the best luck with that is easy to use and works the best. Looking for something that will not fade the graphics or cause them to crack
39 REPLIES 39

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 09/12/15 04:51pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Just had my wife wax the 5'er with McGuires RV/Marine wax,and it took her all day to do the job, she does an excellent job and McGuires makes the rig shine. She is getting older and slowing down some but it is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of trailer maintenance as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are overly sensitive, and thereโ€™s nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

She had to take a break when she was only half-finished washing and waxing the 5th Wheel. I tried not to make a scene. Iโ€™m a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her. Iโ€™m not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging girlfriend or wife because of this post, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.

Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
One Tough Yorkie Named Bob

That's why you marry younger ladies.
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
Regarding ReJex... Just like most products out there, some swear by them while others swear at them. I personally did not find Rejex to live up to the hype.

I hope there is some truth to it and not all hype. I bought a bottle and did the front cap on our Montana this past week end. It is easy to put on and really feels slick. It will get a good test shortly and I will let you know how well or not it did. I had used regular wax on our last 5th wheel so I do have a comparison point.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Cberardo wrote:
I do not wax mine. I use Murphys Oil Soap. I coat the bottom of a disposable baking pan with Murphy's without a diluting it. Wet the camper and a soft bristle car washing brush. Dip the Wet brush in Murphy's, and start washing. The Murphy's goes a long way, and really lathers. Comes out with a great shean just like wax and takes a fraction of the time. My camper is 10 years old and still look like New.

I assume you wash the vinyl graphics with it also? Have you noticed any bad affect on them?
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding ReJex... Just like most products out there, some swear by them while others swear at them. I personally did not find Rejex to live up to the hype.
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use Rejex? I've read about it and wonder if it would be worth it to at least use it on the cap. Supposedly makes getting the bugs off really easy.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished mine. Ugh....what a task. About 5 hours doing it all by myself...wax only....washed it Sunday. I use either Meguiars or Mothers....Mothers smells awesome! I avoid the graphics. Tough part for me is that its 13'3" tall.

I gotta get the stuff for the roof in the spring, but my trailer sits inside if not in use, so not urgent.
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
I use Gel Coat Labs One-step, Gel Coat Micro surface Sealant. Not a wax, it's a polymer based surface sealant made to protect against UV. Great on graphics and the gelcoat finish of the cap and RV.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
DogTrainer wrote:
LOL that was so sad but so funny. Its wheel bearings that upsets my wife. she said her hands get dirty and when she opens my beers it gets the bottles greasy. I bought her rubber gloves, in a box.

Good Lord almighty! Some of you guys just keep me in stitches!
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have mine washed and waxed in Arizona every winter. They scrub the roof and wash. Treat the tires, clean the frame, hitch, landing gear and wax. $190. It's a birthday present I give myself. I'm overjoyed with my generosity.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cberardo
Explorer
Explorer
I do not wax mine. I use Murphys Oil Soap. I coat the bottom of a disposable baking pan with Murphy's without a diluting it. Wet the camper and a soft bristle car washing brush. Dip the Wet brush in Murphy's, and start washing. The Murphy's goes a long way, and really lathers. Comes out with a great shean just like wax and takes a fraction of the time. My camper is 10 years old and still look like New.

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
LOL that was so sad but so funny. Its wheel bearings that upsets my wife. she said her hands get dirty and when she opens my beers it gets the bottles greasy. I bought her rubber gloves, in a box.
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
Many swear by Zep floor polish--available at Home Depot. I've seen trailers with Zep on it, and they really shine.

I would also think any good non-abrasive car polish would do a fine job.

Poli Glow is a better option than the Zep product.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
Just had my wife wax the 5'er with McGuires RV/Marine wax,and it took her all day to do the job, she does an excellent job and McGuires makes the rig shine. She is getting older and slowing down some but it is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of trailer maintenance as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are overly sensitive, and thereโ€™s nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

She had to take a break when she was only half-finished washing and waxing the 5th Wheel. I tried not to make a scene. Iโ€™m a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

Kudos to you sir! Well said! :B

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her. Iโ€™m not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging girlfriend or wife because of this post, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

1garfield
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Driven polish for years it's super easy to apply , I did my whole 35 ft 5th wheel in just a few hours
2013 sunnybrook raven 3300ck 5th wheel
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 dually long bed 4x4