cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a mess, I broke my truck...

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
We were heading home after spending a fantastic month in Florida... About midnight we were just through Knoxville, TN... on I-75, we were running about 65 mph, pulling up a pretty good grade... I thought my transmission blew! We were stranded on the side of the road...

A call to Good Sam Roadside Assistance, we were towed to a Walmart parking lot, and told us they would send a wrecker in the morning to tow us to a repair facility. They even called Walmart and made arrangements about spending the evening there... and got permission for the 5th Wheel to stay while we had our Truck repaired... They were back in the morning and loaded it on flatbed as promised...

After they tore down the truck... actually the transmission was fine, the flywheel let loose! Being stranded for 5 or 6 days, we rented a car to get around. We found a KOA campground close to the 5th Wheel, and ask them if they knew anyone we could call to move our 5th Wheel to their campground. They had us moved in less than 2 hours, thanks to one of the employees friend who was camping there. No only did they move it for us, the good samaritan would not even take any kind of payment for moving it...

My Thanks to... Good Sam Roadside Assistance... Clinton / Knoxville North KOA... Clinton, TN Walmart... and to the good samaritan who towed my 5th Wheel...
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member
34 REPLIES 34

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
You guy's are making me blush. :B
We are called "Volunteers"
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Good people are great!

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Recently moved to East TN and also concur that people here are truly kind.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
That is a great story. I live near Knoxville and the people there for the most part will give you the shirt off their backs.

I certainly agree with you... The people in and around Knoxville who I have had the pleasure of meeting and dealing with have been awesome!!!

and Folks, you sure don't have to worry, I will Pay it Forward, ten fold...
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
That is a great story. I live near Knoxville and the people there for the most part will give you the shirt off their backs.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not related to this story: About a year ago, my daughter was working as a cashier at a food store. A customer paid his bill and asked for $100 cash back. He gave the $100 to my daughter and told her: Here, pay the next person's bill. The next person's bill was under $100, so she applied the rest to the following person's bill. Nice to hear about unselfish people.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
A feel good story, except for the truck part, of course. Sadly, things break, even things that are not supposed to. Just goes to show you, despite all the mayhem in the news, there are good people out there who will help a stranger in need. Pay it forward, to be sure.

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to hear you got great help. Sorry about the truck breaking.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Always nice to hear stories of people helping others.
Pay it forward. Do something nice for a stranger.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
On the bright side, your vacation has been extended.. albeit expensively. 😉 Another of life's little adventures!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you received first class service
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry,your truck broke down. Happy to hear about the help you got. Jim 20th
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
DanNJanice wrote:
Glad to hear everything is OK.
Just curious, what year was your truck, gas or diesel? I don't think I have ever heard of the flywheel coming off. Seems like that would almost have to be a manufacturing defect.
Check his sig. tells everything you asked except year.

Doesn't mention YEAR
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always nice to hear good news, even if it is preceded by bad news. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
There are still good people in this Great Ol' USA....

I have a 2012 RAM 3500 diesel... I have no idea yet why it broke... it took out other parts when it broke... My truck is well out of warranty as it is 5 years old and I have over 200,000 miles on her...

And thanks everyone for your replies... Hopefully they will have it repaired tomorrow late afternoon and I will be back on the road...
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member