cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What I saw on the road yesterday

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a Colorado Springs trip yesterday. As I was approaching a truck coming from the opposite direction, I could see it was towing something, but I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. As the tow combo went by I saw it was a 5th wheel trailer with the nose so high in the air that it looked like it was pulling a wheelie! It was the most bizarre sight I've ever seen.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
16 REPLIES 16

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
There is an alternative solution if your bed is too high or you have a 6" lift but I wouldn't feel that comfortable using it.

2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RKW wrote:
Just got back from a Colorado Springs trip yesterday. As I was approaching a truck coming from the opposite direction, I could see it was towing something, but I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. As the tow combo went by I saw it was a 5th wheel trailer with the nose so high in the air that it looked like it was pulling a wheelie! It was the most bizarre sight I've ever seen.

If it was 5 years ago in Washington, would have been me towing our 1st 5er home after purchase!!!
It was real nose high, once 1st order of business was axle flip!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ChopperBill wrote:
You aint seen nutten until you have seen a truck hauling a blade for a Vestas windmill. They are about 140 feet.

Saw a couple of those in Kingman a few years ago. Impressive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
This summer, we saw the widest truck we had ever seen on a highway. We were coming into Valdez AK as it was leaving. It had 4 pilot cars in front stopping traffic and moving it off the road. We were towing our 5th wheel and we were as far off the road as we could get and we still thought it would hit us as it just managed to squeak by. Not sure what it was since it was all wrapped up but it was huge. It would not have been fun to follow that thing on those mountainous roads.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChopperBill wrote:
You aint seen nutten until you have seen a truck hauling a blade for a Vestas windmill. They are about 140 feet.

Or the molds to lay them up in, which some were built here where I live. They had to move them a few blocks down the street before they put them of trucks for a straighter shot to get out of town.

Up the road 10-15 miles they build the towers for them also. Reeeally long also!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
RKW..probably my neighbor (4 corners also). His rear bumper on his 5er is only bout 3 inches off the ground & very nose high when he's towing with his brand new 250.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Halmfamily wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Well today I saw a low boy with umpteen axles hauling an M60A1 AVLB (Assault Vehicle Launched Bridge ?) West on I 64 in IN.

I see these coming into Anniston Army Depot with M1A1's on them. Its amazing how many wheels and how long these have to be in order to carry the weight. Don't think I would want to drive one of those. I

Only 70 tons. No big deal... ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Well today I saw a low boy with umpteen axles hauling an M60A1 AVLB (Assault Vehicle Launched Bridge ?) West on I 64 in IN.

The Army Corps of Engineers has umteen of those parked up at Saulte Ste Marie, Michigan. Guess they are there just in case we ever decide to invade Canada.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
RKW wrote:

Yup, that is how the dealers set them up in todays world. Hook that puppy up and get it out of the lot. On to the next sale. If you go into those dealers and ask hard questions you will find out most of the sales people never have RV'd. Most know nothing about setting up 5vers, & TTs. They just sell them and get you out the door as quick as possible. I csn remember back in the 60s. I drove in my F150. They wouldn't sell me a TT or 5ver. Those days are gone.

In 1969 Ford sold a F-150 Camper Special. A friend had one and it had no power to speak of from it's 240-6. Never did see anyone slide a TC into one of those-probably because they didn't survive. And if I towed a TT or 5ver with that thing I think I would be safer in the camper instead of that truck.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
With My Own Eyes
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

I see these coming into Anniston Army Depot with M1A1's on them. Its amazing how many wheels and how long these have to be in order to carry the weight. Don't think I would want to drive one of those. I
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:

Yup, that is how the dealers set them up in todays world. Hook that puppy up and get it out of the lot. On to the next sale. If you go into those dealers and ask hard questions you will find out most of the sales people never have RV'd. Most know nothing about setting up 5vers, & TTs. They just sell them and get you out the door as quick as possible. I csn remember back in the 60s. I drove in my F150. They wouldn't sell me a TT or 5ver. Those days are gone.

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a newer truck with an older camper...Those damn newer truck boxes sure are higher than the older ones.