cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is cheap?

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
I keep reading "stay away from the cheap RV" or "be prepared for more problems with a cheap RV". What do you guys consider a "cheap" RV? Specifically fifth wheels as that is what we are looking at. Is an MSRP around $80,000.00 or so considered a cheap fifth wheel?
Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the mid - upper range fivers are just heavier built per sq ft, 16 inch on centre framing, even around windows,hung wall const, higher end windows, heavier framing on slide outs, More rigid frames, heavier Gel coat walls vs filon fibreglass finish. For similar use a way more durable over the long range, just my experience.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because one 5er cost less than another does not mean it is made cheaper, just like a higher price doesn't mean it is better. I have seen folks buy a "entry level" RV, and get much more service, and have far less problems than folks that have paid out the nose for a "high end" RV. Like every thing else. How good they are, and how long they will last, is dependent on how you care for it.

So find the one you like. Look it over very carefully, and make your own decision on if it suits your needs or not.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust the rigs that have `lite' in the model name. Something's got to be left out to save weight and extra capacity may be one of the items eg. extra capacity in the frame or walls or countertops, etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
$80,000 should get a very nice rig.
However, I would not judge price only for a rig.
Look at things like the frame. Does it have a good solid I-beam style or a sheet metal one.
Look at the cabinets. Are the pressed wood covered with paper or are they real wood.
Look and feel the carpet. Is it rough or is it smooth and soft. Do you want carpet all over or vinyl?
What is weight of rig? What are the tires rated as compared to max weight on sticker? How much cargo can you haul. Difference between dry weigh and max weight.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also consider weight. Generally, the heavier the better for lots of towing and living. And you're going to pay for heavy.

Everyone has a different take on price. In my experience, price and value go hand in hand. I never sweat getting a "good deal". I sweat getting a good product.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies. We are going to the RV show in Hershey in a couple of weeks. And we have already gotten prices on fivers. One was 35% off MSRP. That's what I'm aiming for on the other ones we look at.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are new 5th wheels for well under $40k. And there are also those for well over $100k.

Low price does not necessarily mean "cheap". The lower price units are going to have fewer bells and whistles and not be as nicely finished in better woodwork, counter tops, and such. Keeps the price down but does not necessarily cheapen the product.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 80K personally I would look for a lightly used high end unit. The fact is it will be worth far more in 3 years than a 3 year old 80K new RV. We bought our 07.5 MS in late 11 and full timed in it for 3.5 years then traded it in our 16 MS. We lost about 10K , in my book that was nothing for 3.5 years of full time use. The new 80K RV would easily loose that amount the day you take possession.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would imagine that if you spent around $150,000 and had one custom made, you could be pretty sure that you're getting a well built rig. Not 100% but better than any run-of-the-mill bought off the lot one.

I would consider a unit that has a MSRP of $80,000 as a mid-level.

Some brands have better reputations than others, but even they have issues with some of their models, and you can run into problems with them too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re going to spend $80,000 you sure can get a nice fiver, but not very often does anyone pay the Manufacturerโ€™s Suggested Retail Price. When we were looking we started by taking 30% off the MSRP. So in my opinion for that price we are talking mid-price rigs. To be honest most trailers have great eye appeal, and the place the manufactures cheapen them are places you donโ€™t look at as much. Cheaper tires, frames and suspension, brakes, insulations, windows, water pumps, etc.

Figure out how you plan to use your RV and go from there.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
In a nutshell-$80,000 should buy you a pretty nice 5er. Add in another $50,000-60,000 for a TV and you're talking some real money, and that's not cheap.

I think the experience should concentrate more on what you need. For instance, if you plan on parking in an RV resort, then don't buy something with top-rated suspension and a leveling system. Instead look for nice interiors and good HVAC and a winterizing package. But if you plan on dragging it all over the countryside then you will probably need that suspension and a top-drawer TV as well. There are lots of different models in different price ranges and I would recommend that you try to attend an RV show and see 'em all, but don't get sucked in by a salesman until you have finished your homework and know what you need and want.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.