cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this part and what does it do?

rcknrbn
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed some damp folded towels in the small cabinet under the sink in the bedroom and assumed I had a leak from the p-trap or something sink related. Turns out this (pictured) device has an occasional drip. I assume it's a vacuum breaker or something similar. Is it repairable? If not, where do you purchase one? What purpose does it serve? Just something I haven't seen listed on some of the RV parts sites.

Thanks in advance.

28 REPLIES 28

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's a vacuum breaker. And yes it's installed upside down. This has already been pointed out by others but of course many don't read before posting. Just change the orientation so the top (with the screw) is up and you're good to go.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rcknrbn
Explorer
Explorer
Was able to take a close up photo, found that the vacuum breaker is made by Swan Industries. They want $61.95 plus shipping for this little guy. I think I'll spend a little time researching a less expensive and more reliable brand this weekend.

F105
Explorer
Explorer
rcknrbn wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses. You guys nailed it, it is definitely in the black tank flush line. I went outside and turned on the flush and the line started humming with water. The leak isn't coming from the threaded fittings but rather from the bell shaped housing or shroud pictured in the lower part of the photo. I'll tear into it this weekend and see if there is any debris or something cleanable. If not, any recommendations of an online site to order a replacement from?

Look for a part number and/or manufactures name on it and call the RV manufacturer to see if they can help.

rcknrbn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses. You guys nailed it, it is definitely in the black tank flush line. I went outside and turned on the flush and the line started humming with water. The leak isn't coming from the threaded fittings but rather from the bell shaped housing or shroud pictured in the lower part of the photo. I'll tear into it this weekend and see if there is any debris or something cleanable. If not, any recommendations of an online site to order a replacement from?

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
chipper wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
I have a fitting like that for my black tank flush system.

Thats what it is. A vacuum breaker to the black water tank flusher.

X2

Mine looks a lot like that and its in the same place.
Larry

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
It's a vacuum breaker like previously mentioned, it should be in an upright position so that the top with the screw in it is up. Sometimes a little piece of debris can get stuck in there and cause a drip, I have seen spider webs cause problems in some when used in an outdoor application.

I sure wouldn't take it out of there it is there for a purpose. If it is on the line to the black tank flush I sure wouldn't want to risk the chance, no matter how small, of black water being pushed back into the fresh water system.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

jrwhited
Explorer
Explorer
could be a pressure regulator

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brass item is a vacuum break in the black tank flush system to prevent a siphon from occurring! The plastic part on the left is a check valve.

They gave you both!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

chipper
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:

Thats what it is. A vacuum breaker to the black water tank flusher.
gene

rjv57chevy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar device in my camper start leaking. It was a one way valve and yours looks about the same. Mine was part of the sewer flush line and the one way valve was installed halfway in the line and placed under the bathroom sink. The device was higher than where you connect your hose and even more higher then the black tank. So I just removed the device and replaced it with a threaded elbow. It is above everything so it's not going to backwash anything back into my hose.
2006 Dodge Cummins SRW 3500 4x4 Mega Cab; Reese 16K Slider
2008 Silverback 35L4QB; Morryde Pin Box; JT's Stabilizers
1957 Chevy BelAir; 400HP SBC; Muncie 4 speed; 4:11 posi

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
it looks like a cutoff, and someone choose this way to change directions on the pex.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen anything like it in any of my RV's. I could guess what it is but it would only be a guess so I wont.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

F105
Explorer
Explorer
rcknrbn wrote:
Noticed some damp folded towels in the small cabinet under the sink in the bedroom and assumed I had a leak from the p-trap or something sink related. Turns out this (pictured) device has an occasional drip. I assume it's a vacuum breaker or something similar. Is it repairable? If not, where do you purchase one? What purpose does it serve? Just something I haven't seen listed on some of the RV parts sites.

Thanks in advance.

Never seen one before. There's a lot of threaded fittings shown, have you tried tightening all of them?

Is the round thing a knob?