cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is too long to get into State/National Parks?

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to a different camper (Bigger/Longer) in the next 2-4 years or so and was wondering how long is too long to get into the state and National parks?

Actual length vs trailer model length... 386 model is actually 40' long?

Anybody been turned away for having too long a camper after making reservations? How about physically not being able to fit into the site and having to leave or get different site?
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires
21 REPLIES 21

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends, 4-6 other couples, who along with us plan on buying and traveling extensively as we get into our golden years with our 5ers. We all just didn't want to go TOO BIG and limit ourselves to sitting out in Walmart parking lots.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
At that length you will have a lot of restrictions for sites. They’re out there, but you’ll have to research the campgrounds for size limits and make reservations to ensure you get a spot. The bigger the unit the fewer sites there are for the really big rigs and a smaller RV may take one of them. Or sometimes the sites big enough but the road in is too tight to maneuver. AZ advertises a 35’ limit for the state parks and I’m told some CA park limits are 20’. I’m guessing that’s probably beach sites.

I pull a small TT so it’s never been an issue to me. But I recall an incident in a campground in the Tetons where a big rigs front bumper projected slightly into the road and they asked him to leave and go to the commercial site up the road. With that big a rig I’m guessing you probably want HU’s and that in itself is a limiting factor. For example, there is only one cg each in Yellowstone and the Tetons that have HU’s.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have a FL 40' fiver and have zero issue fitting into state and COE campgrounds in Alabama and Georgia. Some are tight. Remember the back of your fiver can hang off the back of the pad as long as you can put down your rear stabilizers. Our new unit will have six point leveling which will allow us to back in even further. Use Google maps to look at sights and roads. I've had more issues with low branches than length. Good luck and happy camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at the front living room design and see that most of those are only in the really long 5ers...usually 38' and up.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I always check the campground website to see the length restrictions. We have a 38 foot 5th wheel and if the site shows 34 or less I will look for another campground (public or private) near where we want to be. Great thing about National/ State Parks there are usually private campgrounds nearby. Private campgrounds tend to be setup to handle big rigs.

If the website shows 35 feet I will call to ask if a 38 footer would work. Most of the time it will. Occaisionally we have had to drive the wrong way (with permision) around a campground loop to get to the site. Most of the restrictions have to do with narrow roads, tight turns or obstacles rather than the actual site size.

For Sequioa National Park we stayed outside at a really beautiful RV park next to a river. None of the sites inside the park would have matched the site we stayed in, I would rank it a 9 out of 10.

My advice is to get the size and floorplan you are comfortable with, there's always a solution for finding a spot as long as you are willing to drive a short distance to get to the National/State park to sight see.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Partly depends on what part of the country. Out here in CA, State and National parks are generally 35 ft (actual bumper to hitch). There are some sites that can support bigger but they are limited. Sometimes it is not the length of the driveway, but the tightness of trees and rocks to the road that prevent manuvering. If you make a reservation and do not fit, they may try to find something bigger, but are under no obligation to, and due to the popularity of our State and National parks, there may not be anything else available. It is one of the reasons we have stayed with a small rig. Even then, I sometimes have trouble finding spots because I have to park the tow vehicle somewhere too.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Sure!

You just have to plan a little on reservations - and either they post the length of the site or you can call and ask if you suspect.

The parks are all different per region as well. Colorado State parks can accommodate most monsters with ease, or they say specifically. National Parks in CO, not so much, and some of the county and city parks are a no-go for 40' we have found.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed