cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if itโ€™s been done before or not but I was thinking about keeping a running list of real truck weights by year and type, and trailer weights by brand, size and what the total combined weight is of each guys rig. I was hoping the info would be a help for guys wondering about what the real weights are for a certain type of truck and to keep track of the more popular brand 5th wheel trailers. Another thing that will come out of it will be to see just how many guys really know what they are towing and if they know what their weight capacities are.
Iโ€™m sure it will take some time to compile a list and it will grow as guys add there info but Iโ€™m hoping it will help the newer guys in the long run to be directed back over to this thread in the future.
Iโ€™ll keep the TV lists to mainly the big 3 and from ยพ ton and up and Iโ€™ll try to keep the 5ers in a group by real GVW, length, and then manufacture. Any ideas are welcome as long as it makes things easier. And only real information can be given, so no guessing allowed. Only guys that have scaled there rigs or are totally certain of the weights.
Letโ€™s see if I can keep the format real simple to type down and that will make it simpler for guys to refer back to and to keep track of.
Here we goโ€ฆโ€ฆ

TV - 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 4x4, real scaled weight with full fuel, hitch, DH-DW and misc. gear = 7,500lbs. TV GVWR is 10,200lbs
5ver โ€“ KZ New Vision TH 38ft 14,500lbs loaded GVW. GVWR is 18,000lbs
Normal running TV & TH GCW weight= 22,500lbs, TV GCWR is 23,000lbs
Real Wet Pin Weight=2,950lbs
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
859 REPLIES 859

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
There is a new web-base app that answers how much you can tow and it's for 5th wheel and conventional trailers. You can search for it here: http://bit.ly/1mMpwY3
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

Tumbleweed79
Explorer
Explorer
We travel full time, having moved from a 2012 Keystone Bullet Premier to a 2014 Keystone Avalanche this June. The question I have about weight is this: How many of us are truly able to stay within the GVWR of the unit? I have always been very conscientious of weight and what we carry, but have always struggled with the numbers. Upon purchase of our Avalanche we simply moved in from the travel trailer and later added a few extra (not much) and the dealer told me we were 460 lbs. over weight. Note: The Bullet was an ultra light that at one time we pulled with a Suburban.

Thanks all!

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:
garysol wrote:
Truck is a 2014 RAM 3500 SRW crew cab Short Bed. Trailer is a 40ft Komfort 3530.
payload...........................4,020........................2,840........-1,180

What is the actual payload capacity listed on your truck door?

You know I have never looked or even knew to look there. It is a little less than I stated but not much..... 3,828

2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

SmittysRV
Explorer
Explorer
TommySnake wrote:
How many of you that have a total of 26,001 lbs have a Class A license?
Texas states you must have a Class A if the item you are towing is greater than 10,000 and your combined GVWR is 26,001 lbs. Thoughts are welcome. How hard was the driving test.

I would like to know the same for the Cali foke on here for the Class A non commercial. Im at 25,740lbs and that's empty.... Thx

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
garysol wrote:
Truck is a 2014 RAM 3500 SRW crew cab Short Bed. Trailer is a 40ft Komfort 3530.
payload...........................4,020........................2,840........-1,180

What is the actual payload capacity listed on your truck door?
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

TommySnake
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you that have a total of 26,001 lbs have a Class A license?
Texas states you must have a Class A if the item you are towing is greater than 10,000 and your combined GVWR is 26,001 lbs. Thoughts are welcome. How hard was the driving test.

Sam_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,Russ, for your input. You are very right, we could have pulled that Wildcat if we had the lower ratio. But, we don't so back to the drawing board. Found a great website: "Fifth Wheel St." (st. stand for safe towing"). Helped me understand the different weight classifications. Plan on loading the TV this week as we would travel and get it weighed. That is a start. Now trying to find a fiver within acceptable distance within our parameters.
Sales people are just one piece of the puzzle. It all starts from the manufacturer. BUT, that being said, the sales people should have the customers interest and safety first and foremost. They should understand what is at stake and be honest with the consumer. Big lesson learned here and well worth the experience.
Safe travels!

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
..............................Unloaded......................Loaded............difference
Steer axle....................4780...........................4780............+0
drive axle....................3320...........................6160............+2,840
total truck weight........8,100..........................10,940
trailer axles..................N/A..........................10,700...........+10,700

Truck..... 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Short Bed crew

..............................Advertised max..............Actual Loaded
GVWR............................11,700.......................10,940........-760
payload...........................3,828........................2,840........-988
rear GAWR.......................7,000........................6,160........-840
GCWR.............................25,000......................21,640.......-3,360
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam and Chris, so don't start jumping on the salesman to hard! I think if you do a little checking your 2500 HD with a 4.10 rear gear might have been capable of towing that fiver. so some numbers that you need to provide and understand;

Dealing with your truck AKA TV (Tow Vehicle).
GVWR (Gross Vehicle weight rating)Total weight allowed to be carried on the TV wheels.

Payload (Real world) Difference between your TV GVWR and actual scaled weight ready to pull your trailer.

GAWR This is the max weight allowed on each axle, the total will be greater than the GVWR.

GCWR The total of TV and trailer, this number is based on engine power and gear ratio, for the same engine, the lower the rear gear ratio the bigger the number gets. Lower gear ratio has higher numbers, a 4.10 is LOWER than a 3.73.

Now the 5er.

DRY weight (AKA Shipping weight) this is brochure weight of the base model. You should NEVER use this number to figure if you can tow this trailer. You can use as a starting point, then ADD to it, weight of options, weight of battery, weight, of full propane tanks, weight of the "STUFF" you currently carry in your trailer.

GVWR This is the maximum the trailer can weigh, pin and wheel weight. This is also the number you need to look at for GCVW, if if the weight of the TV ready to tow and the trailer GVWR is slightly over the TV GCVWR you might be OK, as very few of us load the traile to the max.

PIN (AKA hitch) weight, is the DRY Weight placed in the bed of the TV, it WILL increase as you load the trailer.

You CAN increase the GCWR of your TV, simply by having a lower gear ratio installed in the differential.

You can't increase the GVWR, or axle ratings.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
Sam and Chris wrote:
Hello all! Thanks for posting this very important topic of weight. Previously we have had two TT's and one older MH. Sold the last TT in June and looking for small fiver. TV is a 2010 Chevy Silverado HD, 3.73 axle ratio with a tow rating of 9900#'s. Just had a HUGE lesson in tow weight as we put a contract in on a 2015 FR Wildcat 282RKX at the Hershey RV show. Brochure weight: 8300; trailer weight on side of rig: 8878. We didn't catch the 8878 until we got home (going back to pick up rig). Called and had them re-check the weight and confirmed 8878. Started the math: GCVR is 16K. Truck is 5840, fiver is 8878, add in people, dog, hitch, fuel, cargo, etc... we were just over the 16K. Dealer was great as we went back up and they weighed the rig at a scale: came in at 9000 lbs! Thankfully we were let our of the contract and now searching for something much lighter! Lesson learned: brochure weight is a down out lie as is stamped weight on side of vehicle. Anyone??????

I'm so glad you were let out of the deal. So many before you have encountered an overweight purchase.

Come Monday morning, there will be a new free web-based app available that will answer that age old question, "How much can I tow?"

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what is without violating the forum rules. PM me, and I'll tell you what it is.
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

Sam_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Silverado is a 2500HD. What I want to know is how the manufacturers get away with this? How many people are out there towing way beyond their limit. So, GVWR of the trailer, that is what we go by? In reading the Trailer Life Towing Guide for fivers, it got so confusing with all the weight abbreviations. We went with the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. Added truck, trailer, people, dog, cargo (weighed a lot of this to get a good #), fuel, hitch, etc. We are getting ready to look at a Crossroads Cruiser Aire 28SLE (think that is he right model). Stamped weight on vehicle (not brochure) is around 8200. Guessing we need to add couple hundred xtra. Not sure what GVWR is, will check.
Thanks, appreciate any and all info we can get!
๐Ÿ™‚

Charli
Explorer
Explorer
The salesman had to know that this trailer was way over the limits for your truck. It is so disappointing that no salesperson will level with the customer and sit down and explain weights, limits and risks. It's all about the sale and making their commission. I've been through 3 trucks and 3 trailers in the past 5 yrs and at no time did a salesman talk to me about how the weights and ratings all fit together. Learned it all on my own by experience and reading. So very disappointing. Salesmen deserve the reputation they have.
'11 F350 KR, 4x4, PSD
'14 Mountaineer 331RLT

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam and Chris wrote:
Hello all! Thanks for posting this very important topic of weight. Previously we have had two TT's and one older MH. Sold the last TT in June and looking for small fiver. TV is a 2010 Chevy Silverado HD, 3.73 axle ratio with a tow rating of 9900#'s. Just had a HUGE lesson in tow weight as we put a contract in on a 2015 FR Wildcat 282RKX at the Hershey RV show. Brochure weight: 8300; trailer weight on side of rig: 8878. We didn't catch the 8878 until we got home (going back to pick up rig). Called and had them re-check the weight and confirmed 8878. Started the math: GCVR is 16K. Truck is 5840, fiver is 8878, add in people, dog, hitch, fuel, cargo, etc... we were just over the 16K. Dealer was great as we went back up and they weighed the rig at a scale: came in at 9000 lbs! Thankfully we were let our of the contract and now searching for something much lighter! Lesson learned: brochure weight is a down out lie as is stamped weight on side of vehicle. Anyone??????

That 5er has a GVWR of 11,700#, you were well out of the league of your TV. This is what happens when you look at DRY weight instead of GVWR.
Is the 2010 Chevy Silverado HD, 3.73 axle ratio with a tow rating of 9900#'s, a 1500HD, or a 2500 HD, with that tow rating must be a 6.0 gas.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sam_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
Truck loaded with me, DW, and dog, full tanks of fuel, a few tools. Trailer loaded for travel, 1/2 tank water, empty holding tanks, close to full LP tanks.

Truck alone: GVW - 8525 GVWR - 13025
Trailer alone: GVW - 14275 GVWR - 15500
Truck/Trailer combined: GCW - 22800 GVCWR - 30500 Pin - 3725 20K hitch

We have enough margin to add a combo washer/dryer. Other than that I don't plan to add anything else.

Thanks to all on here that recommended a 1 ton dually. Pulls like a dream, even in fairly heavy wind conditions.
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)