cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which hitch to choose?

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Question all , trying to figure which hitch to choose talked to reps at the Tampa show in January for 2 companies I know there are more companies to choose from, we are looking at a 20-25k hitch. 5th wheel will be 40 ft long and provable give 15 k ish . We have a 2016 ram 2500 diesel cc with long bed and factory pucks installed for the hitch. Which is the preferred hitch and why also we think we have read about a aluminum hitch is that a thought ? Brand of 5thwheel is still slightly up in the air thanks for the continued help
27 REPLIES 27

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the pin and remove the handle and turn the handle over and slip it on and install the pin. I do not need to do this but if it is a problem it is an easy fix.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
azjeffh wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

UH, you mean like this???

Just wondering what you think the handle will do when the hitch plate is LEVEL? If you're going to post picks, please take them when connected to a fifth wheel (or at least in the towing position). I personally have a Reese Elite and haven't had any issue, nor did I using my Reese 16K slider for more than 12 years. The handle on my Elite is flush or below the top of the truck bed when the trailer is attached, and above when it is not. RE: the damage to the truck, too many different reasons why that could happen.

I personally have no opinion on the handle. I have no idea why there are so many trucks with this type of damage with this or a hitch that is of it's style.

Some have theories, some have shortened their handles.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
President here of the B&W "HeavyWeight FanBoy Club". B&W is a simple solid hitch that there is no question if you are hitched or not.

Since you have the pucks it's a no brainer the RVK3600 will be ready to go from your 2500 to your next larger 3500 SRW/DRW truck.

Oh yea the B&W is designed and Made In USA, the other two are not Made In USA.

Wondered when you were going to show up. :B

Lyle

If you're the president then my hubby is the VP. Our B&W Companion went into the puck system on our Dodge Ram 2500 long bed with the Cummings Diesel with no problem. Pulls like a champ.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a b&W fanboy as well, but I prefer the patriot 16K for my use.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Just wondering what you think the handle will do when the hitch plate is LEVEL? If you're going to post picks, please take them when connected to a fifth wheel (or at least in the towing position). I personally have a Reese Elite and haven't had any issue, nor did I using my Reese 16K slider for more than 12 years. The handle on my Elite is flush or below the top of the truck bed when the trailer is attached, and above when it is not. RE: the damage to the truck, too many different reasons why that could happen.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"NOT an issue with the Andersen Ultimate! Neither is crawling into the bed or over the side of your dually to hitch and unhitch. Just saying... "

Please show me how you LOCK your push pull T handle so no one can pull it.

No crawling here. Just sayin

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:

So? One issue with a B&W side pieces bending, that I've seen posted about. How about the issue with the upturned Reese handle that has cause unhitching on more than one occasion, when making contact with the bottom of a FW in a turn on uneven ground? I've seen plenty of them cut off or otherwise repositioned to prevent this.

Lyle

the handle can go over and not touch anything. Simple fix. Chevman

I believe most people believe the reese can be unlatched by moving the handle up or down. It is pulled directly away from the hitch and not rotated.

The handle can and should always be locked on this hitch and all hitches including the B&W. If the hitch handle is locked the handle can not be moved to unlatch the hitch.

Note there is a hole for the lock that will accommodate most common locks.

NOT an issue with the Andersen Ultimate! Neither is crawling into the bed or over the side of your dually to hitch and unhitch. Just saying...
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:

So? One issue with a B&W side pieces bending, that I've seen posted about. How about the issue with the upturned Reese handle that has cause unhitching on more than one occasion, when making contact with the bottom of a FW in a turn on uneven ground? I've seen plenty of them cut off or otherwise repositioned to prevent this.

Lyle

I believe most people believe the reese can be unlatched by moving the handle up or down. It is pulled directly away from the hitch and not rotated.

The handle can and should always be locked on this hitch and all hitches including the B&W. If the hitch handle is locked the handle can not be moved to unlatch the hitch.

Note there is a hole for the lock that will accommodate most common locks.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

TAS1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Colibert Free Ride. It's the receiver type that fits into my B&W turnover hitch. It's got a ring that comes up when locked and locks the jaws closed. It's got great articulation also. Plenty of options out there, take a look around and get what ya like best.
Todd
15 Ram Megacab 3500 4x4 SRW
18 Street Glide Special
13 Harley Fatboy Lo (gone)
94 Harley FLSTC
98 TJ w/ a few mods
18 Momentum 351M

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Demco slider. You may not need the slider but I also like that it has a bar that goes in front of the jaws so it stays locked in. It is also American made.

AV8_Tuna
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the 5th wheel game, but I went with the B&W Turnoverball/Companion Slider combo. I have a short bed F-250 and I'm glad I spent the extra on the slider. I've been very happy with the set up and it was relitivaly easy to install. I like that I can remove the hitch when not in use to have a clean bed, and remove 200ish pounds from my truck. Good luck with your search.

-Marc
2016 F-250 Lariat 6.7 Power-stroke
B&W Turnoverball/Companion Slider
2009 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 32SKT

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the B&W 3600 on my 14 Ram and I don't think there's a better hitch in the market other then maybe air hitch. No more banking while towing or jerking around. You won't be disappointed. It's more expensive but worth every penny.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you say bed deflection? That weight it DOES happen.