cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which RV Deep Cycle Batteries To Buy?

johncamtravel
Explorer
Explorer
Need to start looking to purchase two 12V Deep Cycle batteries for the 5th wheel.
Which batteries are good and which ones should I stay away from.
How is Duralast from auto Zone? Does anyone use those? Or how is
Dura Cell are they any good? How about Autocraft from Advanced Auto
Parts? Any help would be appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32

fnswhitfield
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend Trojan T-105 6V golf cart batteries. I have used them for years on RVs and boats. Pay attention to the charge, don't draw them down more than 50% and they will last many years. My current set is about 8 yrs old. A good way to compare batteries is see what they weigh.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you want out of the batteries. If you are planning off grid camping I would suggest either Trojan or Crown with my preference being Crown. These are the only true 12 volt deep cycle batteries worth anything in my opinion.

I would also suggest going with either 2 or 4 six volt batteries. You'll get better amp hour ratings from 6 volt batteries. As an example in the Crown line a CR-240 is rated at 240 ahr with two combined in series, where a similar size 12 volt Crown battery is only rated at 95 ahr. With the Crown line the best 12 volt Commercial Deep Cycle battery is rated at 215 ahr but is large (15.5L x 7W x 14.6T). The highest rated 6 volt is at 430 ahr and is smaller (12.38L X 7.19W X 16.13T) but has twice the capacity. My two Crown 6 volt batteries fit nicely into my OEM battery compartment.

Some day I'll likely upgrade to four but that's a while down the road and will require moving the battery bank to a different location.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Buy them at Wal-Mart. If there are ever any warranty issues you will have no problem finding a place to take care of them.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Buy two Costco golf cart batteries. Less money and much much better battery

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Exide Stowaway 105 aH deep cycle. $90 at Tractor Supply; they are heavy though at 65# each. I stay away from the wally worlds locally as they only last about 6 months.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
corvettekent wrote:
You should look at buying two 6 volt Interstate batteries from Costco. $89 each.

Or Sam's Club; about $80 each 'round here in PHX. Add about $10-15 for a cross-over cable.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I get my 12 volt batteries from Walmart. They last just as long as any other battery.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
if your pluged in 80% of the time? just go to wal mart get the two biggest that will fit your box . I use them in my boats and rv .boat batteries are 5yrs old and rv 3trs old .no problem. if your on battry 80% then get two agm.s

X2 Or get 2 Interstate 12 volts from Costco.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your pluged in 80% of the time? just go to wal mart get the two biggest that will fit your box . I use them in my boats and rv .boat batteries are 5yrs old and rv 3trs old .no problem. if your on battry 80% then get two agm.s

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
My two Interstate batteries are getting near five years and I will replace them this year. I am not sure one is better than the other, but I will check out the supply at Rural King as they always have good prices and selections, especially at the one in Leesburg which is close to The Villages and their thousands of golf carts.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Rural King nearby check their supply out!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you REALLY want a 12V battery, get a 12V golf cart battery (size GC12). Sams Club carrys them but good luck in finding one in stock. They will have to order one for you.

2 6V golf cart batteries are about the same price as 1 GC12 and they will provide a longer run time.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
You should look at buying two 6 volt Interstate batteries from Costco. $89 each.

x2. I bought 4 myself.

x3 Costco 6vx2
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You asked about 12v so that's the answer I will give you. Don't care to enter the 6v vs 12 debate.
These work well if you have a distributor near you:
US Battery.
Another option is the EverReady sold at Sam's club and Batteries plus.
You want the DCC version at at Sams or the SLI24MDC at Batteries Plus. Both the same battery made by EastPenn MFG just labeled different for each store.
If you don't boondock these will fill your needs well.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:

x2. I bought 4 myself.