cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who has been refilling 1 lb propane tanks?

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
We've a table top grill and a Big Buddy that we use periodically. Don't want to lug around a BBQ tank (or a shorter version either), and the costs of the little guys is getting too high for my budget - close to $7 a pair lately. I've seen the adapters to refill them, but haven't tried it yet. Anyone want to share their experiences doing so?
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.
36 REPLIES 36

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
geeeze.. What triggered this? You "illegally" refill so you don't dump steel in a landfill?

:S Man you see the most far out comments on this forum.
im commenting on the one I saw...

"Illegal" was in quotes since these are technically one-time bottles. I refill em too on occasion but that's not the point
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Where have you found to recycle these?

All our county dumps have a designated location for dropping off propane bottles. When I am at a CG I ask the CG manager where to put them and every CG I have been at has a designated area for special pick up.

After I found out them some of them can leak when they are not totally empty in my bay, I no longer keep half used bottles on board anymore.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone recycled 6 tons of small propane bottles in 2013 I believe.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Where have you found to recycle these?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Been on the forum for awhile and gotta admit this is the first I've heard of actually refilling the small bottles of propane! :E

Seems to me that if you are on the road RV'ing that means you'd have to lug around the 20 lb bottle to fill the 1 lb bottle just so you can avoid the cost of buying another 1 lb?

I've heard a lot of ways to be thrifty but this one takes the cake as being, oh sooo wrong,
on oh so many levels! :R

Where's the popcorn when you need it?! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Works neat. I bought some brass caps from eBay and screw these on the cylinders

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
geeeze.. What triggered this? You "illegally" refill so you don't dump steel in a landfill?

:S Man you see the most far out comments on this forum.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
its not illegal to fill the 1 lb canisters yourself.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it for years, no issues.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
RoyB wrote:
Not me I bring all of mine back from the trips and they go to a special place in our local dump...

I usually get a two pack at WALMART for $5-$6 I think it is...

Roy Ken
After paying about $60 for 20 lbs of propane the least you could do is recycle the steel instead of filling the landfill with 20 steel hulls.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I refill mine after a couple of trips and use them up. We cook out every day we are on the road so use it up quick. Cheap and easy enough to do. You tube has a video about how to do it.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the adapter and refilled 8 canisters. After using about half of them the last few felt very lite like they were empty.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been doing for years as well and the process is as simple as stated above. Comes in handy when you use multiple propane devices spread out over a large campsite. After a few refills I recycle them and just re-use the expelled 1# tanks that are tossed at campsites after a single use. Haven't purchased a 1# disposable tank in years.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
RoyB wrote:
Not me I bring all of mine back from the trips and they go to a special place in our local dump...

Roy Ken
After paying about $60 for 20 lbs of propane the least you could do is recycle the steel instead of filling the landfill with 20 steel hulls.
What makes you think his dump does not provide for this? Ours does.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken