cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why are fifth wheels more expensive than travel trailers?

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've seen on line, they appear to be more solid and are often a little nicer.

Is that why? I can't really tell, for certain, based on pictures.
23 REPLIES 23

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
wishin'andhopin' wrote:
Do travel trailers fall into disrepair more quickly since the construction is different?

No. What matters most is if the owner is vigilant about performing routine maintenance (walking and caulking the roof 4x a year, etc) If a TT owner doesn't maintain their TT, it will fall apart. Same thing goes for the 5th Wheel.

By the way, some Travel Trailers build quality and construction could easily rival $500,000 motorhomes, in technique and materials used. Lance and Northwoods Manufacturing are 2 that come to mind as far as Travel Trailers go.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
W&H,

I'm thinking the answer may partially lie hidden in this data....

perhaps one our business majors could extrapolate....

RV shipments....2013

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
wishin'andhopin' wrote:
Do travel trailers fall into disrepair more quickly since the construction is different?

In my opinion no. The campgrounds in the interior here are filled with 20 year plus older rigs and still serving their owners well. My Niece loves her 20 year plus older Terry and it probably has 10 to 15 years of use in it yet. I had it gas tested before she bought it and other than a bad gas valve on the furnace it all checked out fine. Keep it dry and in good repair and I cant see why they would last any less time than a 5th wheel.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
wishin'andhopin' wrote:

No
It's a matter of ownership pride and regular maintenance.
This is where the caulking gun becomes the owners friend.

Water leaks and exposure with no attention will deplete any RVs life expectancy.

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
John & Angela wrote:
Hmmm. Some have responded with popularity or supply and demand as being the cause of higher prices. That may be a regional thing. I suspect I sell 7 to 8 trailers per month for every 5th wheel. This is probably partially due to the area where we live. Quading and hunting are very popular and many want the truck box free for the toys, tidy tank etc. Many of the fifth wheels that do sell are larger and popular with the snowbird crowd. I am sure this changes from region to region.

It takes more steel and material to build a fifth wheel than a travel trailer. Everything from axles to frames are heavier which all add t the cost of a new fifth. The towing experience of a fifth wheel is hard to beat but many are willing to sacrifice that for lighter smaller units.

JMHO

Thats_Ok wrote:
Fifth wheels generally include:
10 inch I-frames (supposedly heavier to support slides)
Compartments for batteries and propane bottles
Newer models have large pass-thru holds
Power jacks (usually front and back)
Larger wheels and tires
Heavier hitching system
A little extra ducting
More furniture
Extra cabinets

All this bottom lines higher.

I believe that both of these are true, less than the demand thought. Fivers have far more steel in the frame, far more steel work to build (wielding). The step in the frame requires more materials.

I am one that is of the thought that i don't need the truck bed, I have a basement. It is always in the 5er ready to go!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheels generally include:
10 inch I-frames (supposedly heavier to support slides)
Compartments for batteries and propane bottles
Newer models have large pass-thru holds
Power jacks (usually front and back)
Larger wheels and tires
Heavier hitching system
A little extra ducting
More furniture
Extra cabinets

All this bottom lines higher.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Some have responded with popularity or supply and demand as being the cause of higher prices. That may be a regional thing. I suspect I sell 7 to 8 trailers per month for every 5th wheel. This is probably partially due to the area where we live. Quading and hunting are very popular and many want the truck box free for the toys, tidy tank etc. Many of the fifth wheels that do sell are larger and popular with the snowbird crowd. I am sure this changes from region to region.

It takes more steel and material to build a fifth wheel than a travel trailer. Everything from axles to frames are heavier which all add t the cost of a new fifth. The towing experience of a fifth wheel is hard to beat but many are willing to sacrifice that for lighter smaller units.

JMHO
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Treat it like a piece of meat. How much per pound are they by comparison?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the weights of a comparable 5'er vs. TT. The 5'er will weigh more. This additional weight requires higher load rated axles, tires, wheels, more substantial frame, etc... Anyone can also see that even of the same spec materials, it is going to be more labor intensive to manufacture a 5th wheel frame than the flat frame of a travel trailer. They are also typically taller meaning that more material will be required in their manufacture.

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe just because the market will bear it. FW buying are willing to pay more?
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
As said before, looking at the two, some things are obvious. Weight, more complex interior. Not necessarily better, only curved walls etc.
Layouts can be the same, interior quality but the frame and hitch adds weight and extra weight must mean extra $$$.
I disagree with the comment that they are geared to " higher end clients".
That comment is stereotyping people by their wallets. I happen to know the CEO of a very lucrative gold mine and his choice was a TT and not one with a high price tag....he just liked the look of the TT.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
For the same reason the 5th wheel is 30% heavier. That much more goes into building the 5'r. And that is going to cost.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that 5ers are more expensive than TT (even from the same manufacturer and same brand). Floor plans are almost identical. I know we just purchased a new Outback and toiled with 5er over TT, and TT won.

I think 5er cost more because they really are bigger, higher, and have more storage in the basement. They are designed for 2 floors, more involved frame, and construction for an identical TT floor model (except for the multi floors).

I think you're paying more for the huge basement storage that does not exist on TT's.