Planing a trip with my 39ft fifth wheeler to Wyoming, looking
For a nice National Park. First trip there so i would appreciate
anyone's opinion and advice.
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you want to be in the Parks right now. Forecasted lows for last night in Yellowstone were between 13 and 17 degrees and it snowed a bit there. However, summer is not over and the weather is supposed to be more like late summer the end of this week and next. If you don't like the weather in Wyoming, just wait for a while, it will change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. But I love it and that's why we live in Wyoming.
John A. Lichty

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
We camped in the Grand Teton NP, just stopped at the info center and they told us which campgrounds had the most openings. We ended up with a great campsite inside the park. The CGs we saw outside the park looked like parking lots.
I am excited for you and wish we were there now.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
There are several RV parks in West Yellowstone, MT (just outside the West entrance to Yellowstone Park), and several in the Jackson (Hole) area near the Tetons. Many are open year round to accommodate skiers. Check out the Trailer Life RV Directory in these two towns. Like several said above, the weather may be an issue in driving and towing this late in the year. We were in both locations one month ago and the weather was good. The average elevation was 5K feet, so expect it to be cold.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or in front of me, either! :W
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Swamp Man wrote:

Also, I would not want to get caught in a snow storm with a fifth wheel behind me.

X-2

~

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would listen to person in Cody, WY. I was born in Wyoming, lived there until I was five then we moved. Nights this time of year can get very cold very fast. Also, I would not want to get caught in a snow storm with a fifth wheel behind me. I would plan on next year until you want to see the snow and so on.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
BIG WARNING! They shut down a stretch of Yellowstone that makes for a very long drive to old-faithful if you come in from the south or east exits. Really recommend checking out the Yellowstone NPS website. You can also check on the other national parks in the area and see if they have any other things going on drive wise. It also gets very cold in late September in the high country. Camped there a couple years back and it got down to around 9 or 8 degrees at Grant village at night. Never had snot freeze to my face before, but there's a first for everything! But the days were a pleasant 70 or so degrees.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just came through Wind River Canyon, which is very scenic. As has been stated, snow is forecast for later this week.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The Snowy Mtn Range is also beautiful! Craig.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll be driving close to Devil's Tower coming from the east and it's a good overnight stop. Take a couple hours and walk around the loop trail and you've seen what there is to see, unless you are rock climbers.

There are other things to see in Wyoming beside the federal parks. The Wind River Range is very spectacular. Thermopolis has hot springs. and a long list of other things to do. You can dig your own fossils for example.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
KOA is OK. Had a view of monument from camp site. Reservations are a good idea though.

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
jblake240 wrote:
Planing a trip with my 39ft fifth wheeler to Wyoming, looking
For a nice National Park. First trip there so i would appreciate
anyone's opinion and advice.
Thanks

We visited Devil's Tower last month driving (no RV), the week after Sturgis (August 13), and it was not too busy. The KOA is literally at the ranger/pay station with the tower looming overhead. We drove threw the national monument campground to check it out for future trips. It looked nice but no hookups. It was not closer to the tower than the KOA as the road goes around DT to the information center (the national monument campground is probably half way between the KOA and the information center, which is not far).
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We're about 15 miles north of Cody. 46F this afternoon. We just brought in all out potted plants. Supposed to get down to freezing temps next couple of days and expect some snow at 5000 foot level. (Cody foot hills and Big Horn Basin is at 5000 ft) Yellowstone is quite a bit higher elevation. This storm isn't going to be much but you do have to be careful and check weather for high cross winds with a high profile vehicle. Doubt any highways will be closed in this storm but it will be chilly in Yellowstone. Also keep in mind Thumb to Old Faithful is closed for repairs for rest of season (Looks like replacement of bridge)

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
There are only 2 "National Parks" in Wyoming. Yellowstone or Teton. Many other state and national sites in Wy to also visit.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS