cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Affordable Care Act And Snowbirds

Explorer II
Explorer II
I stumbled across this on Yahoo this morning and thought I would share.
The multistate dweller aspect never crossed my mind until I read this. Details yet to come.

Please don't let this become a political red vs. blue bashing thread, just posting information some may find interesting or informative:

You need to enroll in the โ€˜rightโ€™ state

Each state will have a health-insurance marketplace, and people must sign up for insurance in the state of their primary residence. Plans will include coverage for any emergencies that happen when youโ€™re traveling out-of-state.

Snowbirds who split their time between states will likely have multistate plans to choose from on the marketplaces. Details for these plans will become available later this month, when the Office of Personnel Management announces the contracts, according to a spokesperson. Some may be regional plans that cover a large metropolitan area that crosses state boundaries. But itโ€™s possible that a given multistate plan may not meet the needs of someone who spends, say, half the year in New York and the other half in Florida.

Currently, some snowbirds are served by whatโ€™s known as a โ€œwraparound network,โ€ whereby a claims-management company contracts with the primary insurer to lease a provider network that the insurerโ€™s members can access when they travel outside the primary network area, said Terri Welter, principal at ECG Management Consultants, a Seattle-based consulting firm to the health-care industry. While itโ€™s not clear yet, itโ€™s possible this type of system may continue with some plans on the exchanges, she said.

If you move out of state, youโ€™ll need to re-enroll for coverage in your new place of residence. A move will be considered a โ€œqualifying life eventโ€ that will allow you to sign up for coverage outside of the open enrollment period..
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
83 REPLIES 83

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I agree...its sad that some folks can't resist bashing, politics and just plain meanness. Due to the amounts of deletes and accusations, I am reluctantly closing this.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator, please close this thread as it has become just political and racist.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
Gale Hawkins wrote:
TheAmRheins wrote:
And the insurance companies get richer and richer... I don't think we will see them filing for bankruptcy any time soon.

That should put a smile on the face of retirees counting on that fact so they can spend more time traveling.

And spending even ever more for insurance. You meant, right?

No I meant retirees collecting pensions that invest in the stock market. When there is no profit for assuming financial risks investors pull their capital. That is the point we totally move to a single payer system for health care.

If insurance companies fail there will be less fuel money for RV'ing.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Have a friend who lives in an east coast state and she is below the poverty level. She does NOT get Medicaid, because she is "able bodied", She does NOT get welfare, because she is employed, yet she has been told that she "must" get medical insurance or pay a fine under the ACA.....

She may be the only one in America that the Acorn crew didnt tell how to get disability.

All she has to do is ask. There is no able body requirement for federal govt. assistance anymore. Obama signed that one 32 million people away.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Gale Hawkins wrote:
TheAmRheins wrote:
And the insurance companies get richer and richer... I don't think we will see them filing for bankruptcy any time soon.

That should put a smile on the face of retirees counting on that fact so they can spend more time traveling.

And spending even ever more for insurance. You meant, right?

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
TheAmRheins wrote:

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do not qualify for Medicaid or if your state has not expanded their Medicaid Program and you earn less than $11K/yr($25K family of four) you ARE left out except for the fine of not having med. ins. ($95 or 1% of income---whichever is HIGHER first year and then it increases each year.)

Below the poverty level one can purchase med. ins. via the exchange but if you are below poverty level you don't have $100(+) a month to cover premiums AND deductibles--out of pocket costs.
ACA was touted as medical coverage for all------except for those 4 million plus folks that really could use it.

When congress has to have the same programs (med. ins., pensions, retirements) then something good for America and Americans may actually happen.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of links to tools for calculating ACA subsidies and how to figure your "ACA income":

- How to compute Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) for ACA subsidy eligibility

- Kaiser Subsidy Calculator
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
The Texan wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
If your income is really low, you will likely get better coverage at a cheaper price.

Unfortunately thats true, and the price of their windfall is everyones loss.
Actually it is not. If you fall below the poverty level, you get NO help, just a fine if you don't get coverage. However, if you earn above the poverty level, up to 400% of that line in the sand, you get all kinds of help, while those that really need the help are left to drown.

You dont have to buy health insurance when you get medicaid and welfare. Below the poverty line folks arent part of the issue.
Have a friend who lives in an east coast state and she is below the poverty level. She does NOT get Medicaid, because she is "able bodied", She does NOT get welfare, because she is employed, yet she has been told that she "must" get medical insurance or pay a fine under the ACA.....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
If your income is really low, you will likely get better coverage at a cheaper price.

Unfortunately thats true, and the price of their windfall is everyones loss.
Actually it is not. If you fall below the poverty level, you get NO help, just a fine if you don't get coverage. However, if you earn above the poverty level, up to 400% of that line in the sand, you get all kinds of help, while those that really need the help are left to drown.

You dont have to buy health insurance when you get medicaid and welfare. Below the poverty line folks arent part of the issue.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
HDrider44 wrote:
It was interesting when I was trying o sign up because I don't have what they consider an income. I live off money I have and the income it generates. So I don't really have a set income and they kept telling me that I need to be on the Oregon Health Plan at a zero cost.
Well first off I don't need the free handout and second we travel all over the USA and are hardly ever in Oregon which I would need to be to take advantage of that plan.
I was able to maintain my old plan for another six months so it will be interesting to see what happens at that time which will be April.

We are in a similar position. But, since I knew we weren't going to use the subsidy, I just looked at the available plans on the exchange and then went directly to the insurance company to purchase our plan (though I could have purchased on the exchange without doing the steps for the subsidy).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan- left to drown

it depends on what state you live in and whether your state government values you enough to have expanded Medicaid.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA - everyone's loss.

Just as an educated country is a strong country, so is a healthy country.