cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any of regret going fulltime Rving

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
When one sell there home to buy a big Motor Home to go full time could have made a mistake. I love my RV but never ever wanted to go full time. I need a home base. Maybe for some that ok but I don't think my wife would go for that. Now I want to travel out west this summer again for a month or so and that about it.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
46 REPLIES 46

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
We have talked about it but it will never happen. We have six kids and six grand children all in the immediate area. We love the trips and when we retire there will be many longer trips, especially in January and February! It gets cold here!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We were full time 10 years ago for about 16 months; settled into a place in FL, then bought a class C and took 7 month trip to Alaska in 2011. We decided on that trip to trade class C for a 5th wheel. Did that and have been full time traveling mostly Western states since fall 2011. Don't want to stop yet. Simply love the life and feel bad for several friends who say She wants it but He won't, or He will but She won't ...... Too bad, but if it's occasional you prefer, the key is to enjoy whatever it is.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 years and counting. We love it and can't see changing our minds. This lifestyle is so much more relaxed. Don't miss the snow at all!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The biggest mistake is not having a workable exit plan. I think some folks want to fulltime so bad, they use all of their assets to buy the RV, then use it until it has depreciated to be worth almost nothing. Then reality sets in. They can no longer travel and are stuck. No money to buy a permanent residence, cannot afford to rent accommodations they would be comfortable in, and the RV is not practical to love in.

Yes, and many people who have posted above may be included in that group, but may just not realize it yet. My parents were.

Who knows, their plan may be to do a "Thelma & Louise' exit but don't feel like sharing it with everyone. I have a feeling most people who are fulltiming for a number of years have a rough idea of what they are going to do - the problem is always determining WHEN is the correct time.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltimed for 9 years....then life interfered. If the stars aligned....we would do it again with no regrets.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:

The results of that search convinced us that purchasing a stick and brick in SW Florida was just slightly more than getting a double-wide or manufactured home.

I watched a couple of shows on TV on beachfront bargains, etc., and was surprised that lots of "stuff" was available in Florida for under $200,000.
bumpy

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Going full-time was a blessing for my wife and myself.

However, we have two couples which are good friends who talk to us all the time about going full-time. We really hope neither does.

One couple - the wife won't adapt to the lifestyle. She likes her big kitchen, she likes her church and her involvement in the church, and she likes occasional trips in the RV, but never wants to do laundry in a strange location on the road. Real picky about their clothing.

The other couple has a home they've worked on for 15 years that really belongs in magazines. And they spend a lot of time fine tuning the home and the grounds each year. They do make long RV trips - sometimes two or three months long. But they would never be happy without their home.

Both have 40's diesel pushers which are less than 6 years old. Both enjoy RVing, and both would be miserable as full-timers in our opinion.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
For us it was an easy transition. The house sold quickly, sold most everything, stored a little more. No regrets!

The only thing that started to change for us was the fact that we were wintering in the same area in SW Florida each winter. During the winter we found that we don't really travel, but rather stay put in warm temperatures. We began to wonder if we should maybe purchase something in SW Florida for winter use instead of towing the fiver down here every winter.

That lead to looking at manufactured homes in parks, thinking we could spend very little and not worry about upkeep.

The results of that search convinced us that purchasing a stick and brick in SW Florida was just slightly more than getting a double-wide or manufactured home.

That decision lead us to calling a Realtor and looking at about 20 homes in the area. Put an offer in on one yesterday!

For the last two years as full timers we have loved every minute of it and never in our wildest dreams thought we would change that lifestyle in the near future. But now we will only be full timers from June through November, the rest of the time we will be lounging by the backyard pool!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The biggest mistake is not having a workable exit plan. I think some folks want to fulltime so bad, they use all of their assets to buy the RV, then use it until it has depreciated to be worth almost nothing. Then reality sets in. They can no longer travel and are stuck. No money to buy a permanent residence, cannot afford to rent accommodations they would be comfortable in, and the RV is not practical to love in.

Yes, and many people who have posted above may be included in that group, but may just not realize it yet. My parents were.

absolutely, and you don't have to keep your home in the frozen North, find a more sensible location to have your fall back residence.
bumpy

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been living in my RV for just over a year and a half. As far as the full-time lifestyle goes Iโ€™m still evolving. As a kid my family moved a lot so I donโ€™t have any attachment to a specific geographical area that I call โ€œhomeโ€. The closest I get to feeling at home is whenever I travel overseas Iโ€™m always glad to come home to the USA. I joke about it but I guess itโ€™s true, wherever Iโ€™m parked is home. I do have an exit plan but I expect to execute it only after many years down the road :).

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
In 1992, my wife and I sold off most everything and hit the road in our truck camper with no plans. After six months, it was enough. I have fantasized about full timing again, but I do like a home base. Long, open ended trips, yes. Selling it all and moving into an RV again, probably not.
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2004 we purchased a travel trailer and hit the road for a possible 5 years of full-time RV Lifestyle - it is now 2015 and we are still pursuing that Lifestyle .. we don't have room for hubby's Recliner is his only regret.

We are finishing up a stint of volunteering at an Oregon State Park, after this will take an extended trip to see family on the East Coast, and then ?

One step at a time ..
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
5 years and we love it. Someday we'll hang it up. Money from house sale is in the bank.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We left to full time while still owning a s&b. We rented it out because DH wanted "something to go back to." 6 months into life on the road, our tenant decided to move so we had to return to s&b. DH was happiest the day we sold it a month later. After 6 months on the road, he finally decided our home was where we were, not some tiny plot of land in some distant state that cost way more money than it was worth to us.

Do we have an exit plan? Absolutely. And because we have no ties to anywhere, we can settle anywhere we choose.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed for 16 years with absolutely no regrets. It's a wonderful lifestyle. We've seen more of this beautiful country than we ever imagined. We traveled constantly and volunteered sometimes.

We can't imagine having kept the house and going back to where we started. It's bitter cold there and we're now living in 80 deg. temps. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel