cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any of regret going fulltime Rving

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
When one sell there home to buy a big Motor Home to go full time could have made a mistake. I love my RV but never ever wanted to go full time. I need a home base. Maybe for some that ok but I don't think my wife would go for that. Now I want to travel out west this summer again for a month or so and that about it.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
46 REPLIES 46

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
When one sell there home to buy a big Motor Home to go full time could have made a mistake. I love my RV but never ever wanted to go full time. I need a home base. Maybe for some that ok but I don't think my wife would go for that. Now I want to travel out west this summer again for a month or so and that about it.

So why the question since you have already decided that it isn't for you? I am not sure I understand, do you think that fulltimers would agree with you that it was a bad idea? And those who decided against it usually wouldn't be posting in the Full-time RVing section.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
After 14 years of fulltime traveling, do we have regrets? Yes we do!

We regret that we didn't start sooner! We have never regretted selling the sticks and bricks and leaving the rest behind. One word sums it up: FREEDOM.

Don't wait too long. None of us are getting out of this alive.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The biggest mistake is not having a workable exit plan. I think some folks want to fulltime so bad, they use all of their assets to buy the RV, then use it until it has depreciated to be worth almost nothing. Then reality sets in. They can no longer travel and are stuck. No money to buy a permanent residence, cannot afford to rent accommodations they would be comfortable in, and the RV is not practical to love in.

Yes, and many people who have posted above may be included in that group, but may just not realize it yet. My parents were.

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
I always think that having the best of both worlds would works for me. I will always keep my home base but having the option to leave whenever I want - two days, two weeks, two months. I know from past travels that I am always happy to get home. But I love my RV too. So I am definitely a part-timer with the option to change the amount of time I want to travel.
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
9 years in...Let me give this a full analysis...All done NO regrets.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest mistake is not having a workable exit plan. I think some folks want to fulltime so bad, they use all of their assets to buy the RV, then use it until it has depreciated to be worth almost nothing. Then reality sets in. They can no longer travel and are stuck. No money to buy a permanent residence, cannot afford to rent accommodations they would be comfortable in, and the RV is not practical to love in.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
No regrets here after 6 years!!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
No regrets for either myself or the wife. But, we were both A.F. "brats", then moved every few years during my 40 year career. I'm sure one day we'll be ready to settle in one place, but for now we love not having a house or being tied down. We love meeting new people and seeing new things and places. We cannot imagine spending however many years we have left with the same people every day seeing the same things and doing the same stuff.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
The only regret ---------------------
Not doing it sooner, as we all say - Someday I'm going to do that.
Then what happens is you die, and then people remember you saying Some Day I'm going to do that.
Loss 2 friends in 1 year, 1 was 55, the other 66.
So ask yourself When will your Some Day Be?
Make the most of your life - Safe Travels and Journeys
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
3 more years, 3 more years!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would always have at least some small housing unit to call home base. preferably near adequate hospital, etc., care for future issues and designed for wheelchair or single level access.
bumpy

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Not yet. Coming up on 10 years.
Roaming Full Timer

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
thankfully we're all different. if fulltiming was for everyone, it would ruin it for those who enjoy it. most who begin fulltiming don't know if its going to be a long term or short term adventure, so you should always have an exit plan. there shouldn't be any regret for trying it, if you planned ahead for an exit. if you sold everything, bought an RV and didn't allow for any way to go back, then that was a mistake in planning, not a regret.
the only regret would be in not trying something that may change your life for the better. we all occasionally change our mind after trying out a new home, a new career, a new state, a new lifestyle, or a new partner. look forward, not backward
Jim

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought I'd enjoy it. We had a house and spent months the last 2 winters in AZ. Finally, it hit me......no big house to clean, no lawns to mow, now taxes to pay.....go where we want, when we want. No worries about frozen pipes at home, trees falling on the hosue. No hassles with the internet or tv people..... We have a rig big enough for my sewing....yes, I made adjustments...left 9 bins of fabric in storage...but I can SEW (just finished a baby quilt).....and I LOVE it! We've been on the road since the end of Sept.....I'll get back atcha in a year or 2 or 5 to see if I changed my mind. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
There is no right or wrong.....all personal preference! I have no direct personal experience, but have talked to allot of campers over the years and it's probably a 50/50 split on similar questions.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !