cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best small BBQ Smoker

teamfamily5
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best SMALL BBQ SMOKER not grill but smoker that uses wood and charco as space is an issue for full timers just made it to SC and so thing about the area makes me want to smoke some ribs or chicken ?
"The great thing about where we live is, you can get anywhere in the world from here"
22 REPLIES 22

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing how great my son's vertical gas smoker worked, I sold my offset horizontal smoker and bought me one. About $150 and it works great!

Chakara
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP already found his smoker, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone and use it at least once a week. Pellets are the bomb....set and forget. No more tweaking the fire every hour or 2 to keep temp. With the Wifi program in what you want.

Set at 150...cook for 4 hours...increase temp to 220....cook until internal meat temp reaches 185 - keep warm. (my pork butt profile).

Mine only pulls .5 amps at 120 once running.....I installed an inverter accessible from the outside of the camper just to run it.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the smaller one for camping......

-Chak
- 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 6spd / Pacbrake / Airbags
- 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel
- SOLD: 2007 Keystone Raptor 299MP 33' 5th Toyhauler
- SOLD: 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS 28'
- SOLD: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
- SOLD: 2007 Dodge Dakota fiberglass topper

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
If you are serious about smoking, get a Backwoods Smoker, Chubby model. Very portable and will last a lifetime. We use one for KCBS BBQ competition, although it is the larger model. We also occasionally take it camping. They aren't cheap but will cook excellent Q.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
teamfamily5 wrote:
Ok so I went to home depo to buy the Webber smokey mtn 14.5 as it turns out they only sell this one online I did not want to wait as I wanted to smoke something last weekend so I bought another smoker that looks just like the Weber smoker can't remember the name but it was only $ 49.00 and the carry them in store I smoke some whole chickens x2 last Sunday and they turned out great. Already thinking about some ribs for next time and for 49.00 dollars you can't go wrong even if it only last one season I could bye a new one every year for three years and still spend less that what I would on the Weber smokey mtn and as a full timer who move about every 13 weeks I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a smoker that the lid might blow away or get bent while I'm moving so I'm a happy camper with this purchase ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe it was a 'Brinkman' ?? A water smoker ? I had one for years while I owned a home. I thought it was great.

teamfamily5
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so I went to home depo to buy the Webber smokey mtn 14.5 as it turns out they only sell this one online I did not want to wait as I wanted to smoke something last weekend so I bought another smoker that looks just like the Weber smoker can't remember the name but it was only $ 49.00 and the carry them in store I smoke some whole chickens x2 last Sunday and they turned out great. Already thinking about some ribs for next time and for 49.00 dollars you can't go wrong even if it only last one season I could bye a new one every year for three years and still spend less that what I would on the Weber smokey mtn and as a full timer who move about every 13 weeks I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a smoker that the lid might blow away or get bent while I'm moving so I'm a happy camper with this purchase ๐Ÿ™‚
"The great thing about where we live is, you can get anywhere in the world from here"

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
A Big Green Egg MiniMax is what I have in my fifth wheel, it is a ceramic grill smoker and is a Legendary Big Green Egg
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
tmm2good wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
tmm2good wrote:
BigGreenEgg

How portable is that?

The smaller models are no larger than any other bbq/traeger mentioned here.

Yes but very, very heavy.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
tmm2good wrote:
BigGreenEgg

How portable is that?

The smaller models are no larger than any other bbq/traeger mentioned here.
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

teamfamily5
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at all of the models recommend and I am going to choose the weber smokey mountain in the 14.5 looks like the best deal for the money the green egg looks nice it probably a little too fancey for me ๐Ÿ™‚

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest a 14" Weber Smokey Mountain; it's fairly small, portable and inexpensive. You can convert an 18" Jumbo Joe into a smoker with a Cajun Bandit stacker http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/22-5/18-5/ but that's fairly expensive. The advantage is that you get an 18" Weber grill and a smoker.

A MiniMax BGE would be great except that it's 76 pounds! And the Mini's just too small.
-jbh-

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I full time and have a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett pellet grill. This is their portable model. The legs fold up, becoming big handles and making it carryable. It runs off 110v or 12v, and also comes with alligator clamps so you can attach to a 12v battery if all else fails. Comes with a temp probe and a digital readout that shows cooking temp and also internal temp of the meat. Can set the temp between about 170-500 degrees in 5 degree increments.

They are big enough to cook a turkey or two 6 pound chickens (did that the other day).

Additionally, they are now WiFi enabled and GMG has an app that allows you to monitor cooking temps and control the thing with your phone !!

+1 Smoked a 12 pound picnic shoulder last weekend.

">Davy Crockett
">"Big Hunk"
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
tmm2good wrote:
BigGreenEgg

How portable is that?
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Weber Smokey mountain as listed above may be the best bang for the buck in quality and results
The smallest version of the green egg would be tough to find a fault with.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
BigGreenEgg
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's